• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MY PS4 Pro died after a thunderstorm, so help me find a media center.

Sentenza

As title goes, my PS4 Pro kicked the bucket recently during a thunderstorm.

Electricity in my house went away for barely seconds, but when it was back the console was the only thing that refused to work properly. I tried few times to do the firmware update to reset it to a functional state but that shit never really worked, so I guess it bricked once and for all.

Anyway, that wouldn't really bother me that much, since it's been probably two years since the last time I even bothered playing something on it... Except, being suddenly without the console helped me realize a serious problem: I FUCKING HATE USING MY TV WITH A REMOTE RATHER THAN THE CONTROLLER.

I considered replacing it a couple of time, but old PS4 Pro didn't deprice anywhere near what I would have liked.
I considered buying a PS5 to replace it but 1) it's frankly fucking ugly and gigantic 2) spending close to 500 bucks only to use it to watch youtube, Prime TV and Netflix seems a bit like a waste of money and I have hardly any interest on playing games on it, since I do my gaming on PC.

I was considering alternate options at this point.
I never had an XBOX and I'm not sure how well and seamlessly they work as "media box", but I was wondering if a Series S may be a good value for its price.
I considered an Nvidia Shield, but... I'm not sure if it does what I'd want it to do? I know it can used to stream between devices, but once again I don't know how well it can work as a media center and how comfortable it is to use with a controller.

So... Anyone willing to butt in and drop their experience with what I'm talking about and some useful suggestion?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"As title goes, my PS4 Pro kicked the bucket recently during a thunderstorm.

Electricity in my house went away for barely seconds, but when it was back the console was the only thing that refused to work properly."

So, what's the verdict Banjo64 Banjo64 ?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If you're willing to invest into a PS5, it'd be worth it. B/C and you're open to hop into current gen. Sorry to hear that too. If you have a back-up battery supply for your expensive gadgets; make sure your next 'media center' is connected there.

aclar00

Me am confused. You want a new set-top box that you can use a game controller with as opposed to a TV remote controller?

If thats the case, maybe get a Roku box, Apple TV, Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick? Most of the newest versions of these devices support Bluetooth so maybe one will work?

Sentenza

Me am confused. You want a new set-top box that you can use a game controller with as opposed to a TV remote controller?
Yeah, basically.
I don't want to browse shit with a remote because that's the most uncomfortable shit on the planet once you are used to the alternative.

GHG

I considered an Nvidia Shield, but... I'm not sure if it does what I'd want it to do? I know it can used to stream between devices, but once again I don't know how well it can work as a media center and how comfortable it is to use with a controller.

The shield is the best option out of the ones you mentioned. It will do what you need it to and a whole lot more since it runs android along with the fact that it's reasonably powerful in its own right. You'll also be able to stream games from your PC to it at decent quality.

bitbydeath

I mean, I have a (smart) TV already, if that's what you are referring to.
I'm looking precisely for something to interface better with it.
Yep, I use my TV for everything media now, it’s fast and easy to use.

Edit: I use a Samsung, so the interface looks similar to the below when you turn the TV on. (It’s all configurable, and takes seconds to get where you want.)

images

Last edited:

Quantum253

I didn't like the standard remote and fell in love with the Logitec Harmony series. Unfortunately, you can only find it in the second-hand market now and it doesn't help if you don't like remotes. There's nothing close to using a gamepad as a remote. Maybe a phone app that can simulate the controls and use the IR blaster.

Papa_Wisdom

I still have my nvidia shield TV, great little device, not long loads from cold boots, instant boot from sleep, still snappy ui and fast loading. Xbox one and PS4 pads work pads work fine though I got one of these

Emulators tin great on it (though prefer my pc) you can cast your pc to the shield, and GeForce now is available.Plex servers, kodi etc

Only thing I can’t get is the channel 4 app which is a shame.

Reactions: GHG

Mr.Phoenix

I am going tro assume that you do not have a smart TV. If all you want is a media box that allows you to connect a controller to it, then you can buy a fire stick for all of $30.

If your gaming PC is not that far from your TB, you could also consider connecting a HDMI cable from it to the TV.

If you do have a smart TV though, have you tried connecting your controller to it via Bluetooth? Some smart TVs support that. And if not, there is a USB thingy you can buy and use that into pair controllers to a smart TV.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Does Costco still have the Series S for $150?
Yup, if you’re dead set on having a console as your media center then series s is probably the most sensible choice.

It’s cheap, quiet and lighting fast. And a console into the bargain.

But if you’re only after access to streaming services then I’m struggling to understand why your current smart tv doesn’t fit the bill?

Sentenza

But if you’re only after access to streaming services then I’m struggling to understand why your current smart tv doesn’t fit the bill?
Until I've read a couple of replies in this thread It didn't even occur to me that I could have paired a controller directly to the smart tv and that it would work seamlessly with TV apps without need for extra middleware.
I'll have to give it a test and see how frictionless it is.

NinjaBoiX

Until I've read a couple of replies in this thread It didn't even occur to me that I could have paired a controller directly to the smart tv and that it would work seamlessly with TV apps without need for extra middleware.
I'll have to give it a test and see how frictionless it is.
So the goal is to use a controller rather than your tv remote to navigate your various apps?

That’s an odd aim if you don’t mind me saying, seems like over complicating things. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sentenza

So the goal is to use a controller rather than your tv remote to navigate your various apps?

That’s an odd aim if you don’t mind me saying, seems like over complicating things. 🤷🏼‍♂️
How so?
The standard Samsung smart TV remote is uncomfortable as hell to navigate that shit.

Beechos

series s is fine as a media player. Has all the most popular apps and support for plex/vlc/kodi if you're into that sort of stuff. series x can take it a step further with the 4k blu ray player.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

How so?
The standard Samsung smart TV remote is uncomfortable as hell to navigate that shit.
I mean, fair enough, you do you. I was just checking that I understand the topic! I have a PS5, XSX and Switch hooked up to my LG C2, and it would never occour to me to boot up a console for streaming when all the apps are right there, especially when it’s just a couple of clicks then set the remote down.

So I guess my next question is, what bothers you so much about your TV remote? Or is it more the OS?

You might be better just finding a more comfortable remote if it’s purely an ergonomic issue?

You can get a Series S for about the same price (if you know where to look) as an Nvidia Shield with a controller included instead of the default NS remote. It has all the mainstream streaming services. I am sure there are even alternative Media Center and Digital Library applications in Developer mode.

P.S. PS4 and Xbox One UI is relatively slow relative to Series and PS5 consoles.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Get a shield pro and pick up a shield controller and you should be good to go

Papa_Wisdom

You can get a Series S for about the same price (if you know where to look) as an Nvidia Shield with a controller included instead of the default NS remote. It has all the mainstream streaming services. I am sure there are even alternative Media Center and Digital Library applications in Developer mode.

P.S. PS4 and Xbox One UI is relatively slow relative to Series and PS5 consoles.
Tbh yeah actually thinking about it I’d prob chose a series s over a shield these days. Especially when you consider you get a controller. The only downside really is the fact that I’d also prob use it for emulation so would need to switch to dev mode. I guess that’s not a major issue.

Pretty sure it’s got a kodi app aswel but not sure how that works on Xbox.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Sounds like the OP just hates interacting with the TV OS and/or with the TV remote.

So yeah, the cheapest, most ergonomic option sounds like a preowned series S tbh, can probably find one for £100-150.

Let us know how you got on OP!
True. I’ll personally never understand it, but I suppose I get it. I have a clunky ass old Samsung smart tv with a hell of a delay on input with the remote. But I’m good with it, definitely wouldn’t buy a game machine to replace it (unless I’m playing games of course) lol.

jonnyp

As title goes, my PS4 Pro kicked the bucket recently during a thunderstorm.

Electricity in my house went away for barely seconds, but when it was back the console was the only thing that refused to work properly. I tried few times to do the firmware update to reset it to a functional state but that shit never really worked, so I guess it bricked once and for all.

Anyway, that wouldn't really bother me that much, since it's been probably two years since the last time I even bothered playing something on it... Except, being suddenly without the console helped me realize a serious problem: I FUCKING HATE USING MY TV WITH A REMOTE RATHER THAN THE CONTROLLER.

I considered replacing it a couple of time, but old PS4 Pro didn't deprice anywhere near what I would have liked.
I considered buying a PS5 to replace it but 1) it's frankly fucking ugly and gigantic 2) spending close to 500 bucks only to use it to watch youtube, Prime TV and Netflix seems a bit like a waste of money and I have hardly any interest on playing games on it, since I do my gaming on PC.

I was considering alternate options at this point.
I never had an XBOX and I'm not sure how well and seamlessly they work as "media box", but I was wondering if a Series S may be a good value for its price.

So... Anyone willing to butt in and drop their experience with what I'm talking about and some useful suggestion?

Get a Shield Pro, it's great. Don't get the tube standard version though - it sucks.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Too simple?
images

You could get a universal remote if you want one with more buttons.
Starting to think that massive TV I just bought may be the same one you have. Love that simple Samsung remote but just got it last week after our trusty Bravia died (16-years too). I haven't read but feel free to let me know what the sensor is on the back. I'm new to...newer TVs lol.

On topic: Misunderstood you there OP. I thought you wanted an equivalent replacement to the PS4. Many great suggestions already in this thread but you could go one of many routes:

A. Stick with non-Smart TV and purchase a used or new PS4 (not too hard to find where they'd still have some new ones, just not in the usual retailers). I get it too. Living room TV we've used the PS4 for most of our media apps (silly considering the 4 other TVs in the house are either Smart or have Chromecast)

B. Chose whichever add-on: Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, FireTV et al and...not have something to play those great games on :(

C. Purchase a Smart TV as suggested by many and just use all the apps from there. Per my bias, I'll recommend any Samsung 4K or equivilant

D. My first suggestion still holds to upgrade to a PS5 with a back-up. You'll be able to play your PS4 games still but also have the media apps without buying a new TV.

Top Bottom