• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nathan Fillion cast a Green Lantern Guy Gardner in Superman Legacy

AJUMP23

Where did he throw him. And I knew he was strong but man that is crazy to throw a green lantern guy.

Doom85

I would have chosen Fillion as either Hal Jordan or Alan Scott

At 52, I think having Nathan as Hal, who is generally the most iconic GL, would be limiting how long he could play the role convincingly resembling the comics Hal. They’re definitely going to go for someone 20-30’s, maybe early 40’s when casting Hal. He would have been great as Hal, but the time has passed IMHO.

He might have been fine as Alan, but I could him nailing Guy’s brand of asshole-ish humor. Plus, Alan’s a tricky one to handle since usually his origin is totally unrelated to the rest of the GL Corps.

Since Superman: Legacy won’t be an origin film, I assume Superman may even have some scenes of him traveling in space, so I wonder if he’ll encounter Guy and/or Hawkgirl there or on Earth.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Admittedly I know nothing about Mr. Terrific but his Wikipedia isn't very inspiring. I'm kinda meh on what I read. I am excited about Hawkgirl though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
He missed the age window to play Hal live action going forward with a new universe, but landing the role of Gardner is nice.

I am not familiar with the others actors' work, but I am just glad they're including Mr Terrific in this new universe. He's a cool character from what little I read of him. A good writer should be able to craft some cool sequences with him.

Batiman

Banned
Is Gunn gonna go to with his comedic style with DCU? I’m not much of a DC fan but I assumed most DC fans like a more darker approach to the films. I always thought he suited the marvel style more where his silliness is more embraced.

Regardless, him helming the DCU makes me more interested in it personally.

Last edited:

Doom85

Is Gunn gonna go to with his comedic style with DCU? I’m not much of a DC fan but I assumed most DC fans like a more darker approach to the films. I always thought he suited the marvel style more where his silliness is more embraced.

Regardless, him helming the DCU makes me more interested in it personally.

Gunn has made it clear each creative team will be allowed to explore their own tone. Obviously there will be some oversight to protect continuity, but Gunn has said they intend to respect the vision of the creators. Superman: Legacy will likely be more lighthearted and positive, while a film like Swamp Thing will be darker. It will be a case by case basis.

Actually, when it comes to the comics themselves, DC fans generally prefer a more upbeat tone. The New 52, a semi-reboot in 2011, was criticized for going too dark on most of its titles. A few worked, such as Animal Man which had a semi-surreal horror feel to it at times, but others felt edgy for the sake of edgy. Sales suffered as a result, and DC eventually reworked itself to bring back the more positive tone which AFAIK was a success.

FunkMiller

So, another Superman movie, where Superman gets the spotlight taken off him by other DC characters, because MCU dollar.

My excitement for this movie has plummeted.

Thank god for Reeves and his stand alone Batman movies.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Has Superman ever wielded a Ring? Seems like the logical path for an ageing asshole Gardner to make a final redemption and give the Ring to Supes who then can defeat the big bad and reliquishes the ring back to Stewart or Jordan.

Diddy X

So, another Superman movie, where Superman gets the spotlight taken off him by other DC characters, because MCU dollar.

It's all about creating the new universe so the more invited superheroes the better, I love superhero movies with guest appearance btw.

ManaByte

So I'm wondering if this is a world where metahumans already exist and Superman is relatively late on the scene rather than the one who kicks it off.
He’s not late on the scene. It’s not an origin movie.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

So I'm wondering if this is a world where metahumans already exist and Superman is relatively late on the scene rather than the one who kicks it off.

He's already Superman when the movie comes out... He's already at the Daily Planet...

Nester99

Has Superman ever wielded a Ring? Seems like the logical path for an ageing asshole Gardner to make a final redemption and give the Ring to Supes who then can defeat the big bad and reliquishes the ring back to Stewart or Jordan.
He used a yellow ring in the injustice alternative timeline. Was interesting for a while, then it wasn’t
SQuzXyv.jpg

Puscifer

Which Hawkgirl? Thanagarian Hawkgirl, Egyptian princess reincarnation Hawkgirl, or a combo?
Huh, I haven't been into DC comics in a while (Prefer Image) but a an Egyptian Hawkgirl sounds awesome considering their place in Egyptian mythology, I'm gonna have to check it out!

No it’s just him early in his career. Gunn just literally said that there’s no origin in the movie because everyone knows it.
Still, wonder if there were other metahumans active as superheroes and villains before Clark took up the mantle of Superman or if he brought them into the light again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Another Superman movie where a 50 year old Lantern is fine, but we must perpetually keep Superman in his 20's on a constant reboot.

Because why would a middle-aged Superman that has not really been done before on the silver screen which can open up new creativity in writing him be interesting? (sarcasm)

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is just supposed to be a Superman movie, why are they already rushing into cinematic universe bs

It is all a cinematic universe. Nothing in this is origin story. The world is filled with active heroes and villains. We just jump into it like with the animated series JLU.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is all a cinematic universe. Nothing in this is origin story. The world is filled with active heroes and villains. We just jump into it like with the animated series JLU.
I'm down for that, but it usually requires a pretty heavy reliance on character building shortcuts, stereotypes, and tropes to set up all the players quickly, effectively, and clearly to the audience. Not a lot of room for nuance or subtlety. This is precarious in todays world where folks take offense easily. Can be done, but it needs a deft touch and there are not a ton of competent ensemble writers/directors around. Gunn IS one of those, so lets hope he can pick a team and delegate as well as doing it himself.

FunkMiller

Ah yes. And WB's track record with introducing a cinematic universe has gone so very well so far...

Top Bottom