• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Street 2 is one of the greatest games of all time

Warning: The following post was written by a man whos recently given up sugar and is suffering from a severe lack of sleep. Nothing is guaranteed to make sense. Frequent trailoffs are guaranteed however. Read at your own risk.

I know, it came out last year (Or did it? Its old, eh?). I just got it though, so bear with me. I got it really out of a fluke. I had played some NBA Jam with a friend, and was reminded of how much ass a good basketball game could kick (Prior to street, my last basketball game was NBA2K1 for the DC). I didn't have any cash, but as luck would have it Showdown: Legends of wrestling turned out to be a total bomb so I traded it in.

I'm not sure what I expected, but for the two days I've had street I've been glued to it. I've done all my earthly duties, but whenever I get street I can't stop playing it. I'll be on the phone and I'll find myself booting up my X-Box. Or, I'll have a place to go and I'll say "just one more game...".

I can't remember when I've done that with a game. Its been a looooong time. These days, I ussually have to play a game that has some serious multiplayer aspect. Blame Tribes 2 and the pc for that, most games just aren't as exciting without "real opponents". I can't play console fps...for someone who grew up on Goldeneye, its a real bitch whenever a new console fps comes out and I just don't enjoy it.

But that's getting off tangent. My point is, I can't remember when a single player game has sucked me in like this...with sports games its different, you can really lose track of time in a good sports game. NCAA football comes to mind. But, its not fast paced like street. Street feels like how a video game should...its fun, its fast, and its deep.

I know I'm saying this after only two days of play, but I've played like 50 games. That still probably isn't enough to make a judgement, but damn...I'm feeling it. So much that I went out and bought an old ABA style ball so I can become a streetball legend. Hell, if I wasn't eating now I'd be playing street.

Its an amazing game. Its opened up my eyes to the sport of basketball, and renewed my interest in console games. If it came out this year I'd be calling it my GOTY, because everything else I played takes a back seat to it in terms of fun.

I think a large part of that is the atmosphere. I never really dig games with "urban" atmosphere, but street is different. Its so well done, its tasteful. Even though allot of the action is over the top, they captured a certain reality about streetball. I've never played basketball seriously, but the shit talking in a sports activity is something I'm familiar with.

Street really has that going for it. You know what I mean? The atmosphere. I've never seen such atmosphere in a game before. Only two that come to mind are Hitman 3 and NCAA 2004. Hitman had the cool, NCAA has the school spirit...but I've never seen anything as complete as street. Seeing the city courts, hearing the beats play, the announcer talking smack...its fucking fun. Really reminds me of the city I love.

And this is just the single player...I'm sure it'll be even better when I get one of my boys over here to play. Right now I'm cool though....unlocking jerseys, points, moves, dunks, shots, players, courts...doing the challenges...working the various tricks into my arsenal. Its so much fun.

If you haven't got this game yet, you have to drop everything and go get it. I don't care if you don't have any money. Sell some blood or take an old woman's food stamps. If its to late where you are and all the stores are closed, I don't give a shit. Break the window and snag a copy asap. It's that good.

BB0125_601_cl.jpg

Biff's ball. I fought the rain for this ball.

22072003215516_156_1_4box.jpg

The best game ever.

uh, for gamecube? get it for ps2, the system it was DESIGNED FOR! 4 "special moves" buttons instead of 3!

but you're right, one of the top games ever. now EA BIG give us street 3 online!

Actually I have the X-Box version. Its a little trouble hitting the analog button, but my hookup is best for the box. Its becoming second nature already.

Yes tripping martian, yes!!! Go get street and be happy!

cheer.jpg

FightyF

Banned
I used to play NBA Jam in the arcades all the time. Bought the console ports and everything.

Bought this for my PS2 when it came out...and I haven't touched it since. I hate it and I think it's absolute garbage. Someone tried stealing it from me but took the case without the game disc. Perhaps that's an omen for me to give this game a fair chance?

Naaah.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
haha. Yes, one of the best arcade-style sports games of all time. It has a great interface, music, etc. 3 will be a Revelation.

I didn't really like the game upon first play, mostly because I didn't like the fact that Magma Man, Yeti Man, the alien etc were gone from the first game. But shortly thereafter, I started getting the hang of the new nuances of Vol 2 and haven't looked back. I've played it every week since.

The trick counters and the different passing and blocking options really make the gameplay a layered experience, as does the various gamebreaker options. As far as arcade style sports go, there may be another game or 2 with a few more options or modes, but for gameplay and total package, NBA Street Vol 2 can't be beat IMO.

The PS2 version is really the essential one though, as mentioned because of the controller setup. I refuse to play the other versions now because it's just not the same (although admittedly its still fun).

Top Bottom