• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New puzzle IP from Puyo Puyo creator is 3DS eShop (and 3 later)-bound, at BitSummit

MYoaZLH.jpg
dqSU9yE.jpg

5rSzq0C.jpg
4RuRCtr.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2016/07/compile-maru-nyoki-nyoki-3ds-playable-bitsummit-4th
http://gonintendo.com/stories/260801-nyoki-nyoki-tabidachi-hen-coming-to-3ds

From Compile, to Compile Heart, and now Compile-O (pronounced Compile Maru). Masamitsu Niitani, who created Puyo Puyo is back for a new puzzle IP called Nyoki Nyoki: Tabidachi Hen. Right now it's for 3DS eShop (for 800yen), but it's coming to 3 other platforms which include PC and "consumer devices" later.

Summary by GoNintendo:

- new puzzle game from Puyo Puyo creator Masamitsu Niitani and his company Compile Maru
- playable at BitSummit between July 9 and 10
- falling object puzzle game
- players must try to not just match color, but horizontally line up falling “Nyoki Nyoki” to build up attack power
- attack power can be activated at any time
- avoid being buried under “Ojama”
- handicap mode—“2 Colors vs. 5 Colors”
- launching in Japan in 2016 for 800 yen.

This is just like his last debut game at Compile Heart; Octomania, which was a NAOMI arcade puzzle game, which then got a Wii port by Hyper-Devbox and localized by Conspiracy Entertainment:

J9zVDWK.png

Damn you 3DS region locking

Edit: The gameplay looks like a mix of Puyo and Puzzle Fighter from the screens, should be interesting

The world needs more competitive puzzle games. Hope this comes to the west. Sega not bothering to bring the newer Puyo Puyo games here is a low-key tragedy.

That reminds me, the game may have missed its release date by a mere seven years, but the European release of Octomania is still 'incoming' according to Midas Interactive. Whew can't wait.

Looks cool. I hope Niitani can get out of his poor financial situation and rebuild some of the old Compile style. Who knows, maybe Compile-Maru and D4 Enterprises could get a deal going after so many years.

In for PC if it comes out on Steam.

Also, I had no idea he did Octomania. I actually have that game, but it didn't click for me.

This (Nyoki Nyoki) launched in Japan today. I picked it up this morning, and played about half an hour of it.

I think people who struggled to compile good combos under pressure in Puyo Puyo will enjoy it. You still have to think ahead of time, but combos are no longer set off after you link a first chain of four, so there's more room to just focus on building a good set of neko-like blocks.

You're also encouraged to build higher to gain more attack power (garbage), so there's a risk reward element based on what your opponent might be doing.

Interestingly, garbage power is stored and not executed after you finish a combo.

I only played a few stages on story mode in easy so I can't really comment much on whether these mechanics work well in competitive play or not, but they seem interesting.

Anyone else pick this up?

Does anyone want to make an import OT for it?

missed this thread the first time, looks cool

3DS localization plz

Looks like it might be coming to Europe.

I always get upset when I see JP 3ds game threads cause of region locking. Then I remember I have a JP new 3ds. Still...region locking sucks

Eolz

This (Nyoki Nyoki) launched in Japan today. I picked it up this morning, and played about half an hour of it.

I think people who struggled to compile good combos under pressure in Puyo Puyo will enjoy it. You still have to think ahead of time, but combos are no longer set off after you link a first chain of four, so there's more room to just focus on building a good set of neko-like blocks.

You're also encouraged to build higher to gain more attack power (garbage), so there's a risk reward element based on what your opponent might be doing.

Interestingly, garbage power is stored and not executed after you finish a combo.

I only played a few stages on story mode in easy so I can't really comment much on whether these mechanics work well in competitive play or not, but they seem interesting.

Anyone else pick this up?

Does anyone want to make an import OT for it?

Looks like it might be coming to Europe.

Sounds great!

Wow, I certainly made a rambling post back there.

I'm still getting my head around exactly how the game links your combos. But yeah, with X/Y you can switch to spike blocks which set off a combo chain immediately as long as they touch another block of the same colour. I forgot to specify that!

Top Bottom