• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Yuji Naka interview

neptunes

Read it all here HERE

Kikizo: Which aspect of the game would you say is be most exciting for gamers?

Mineko Okamura: I think it's the combination of the exciting battles and the huge 3D maps. The Metro City, a stage in Astro Boy, is really so huge. He can fly fast and freely, and the battle effects are powerful and gorgeous. It's the same kind of excitement as you get with Sonic, so it has the potential to really reach out to western gamers.

Kikizo: Are there any developments with any plans for NiGHTS 2, as rumours continue to be persistent?

Yuji Naka: Basically, what you mentioned with Astro Boy is that it offers a similar experience to NiGHTS, so just play Astro Boy first and see what it's like - with the 3D maps and everything - and then you can think of something that could be fitted into NiGHTS 2!?

Kikizo: How do you see yourselves taking advantage of Nintendo DS and PSP?

Yuji Naka: So as you know we will be releasing Sonic for DS and Puyo Pop for PSP, but both platforms really have great advantages and strengths, so it's important for titles to take advantage of those features properly.

Kikizo: Do you think you'll be moving away from the same-game-on-two-platforms thing, or will you be tailoring future Sonic titles to suit the features of each format - and if so how will Sonic DS take advantage of the dual screen feature?

Yuji Naka: Definitely, game titles will be tailored for each platform. This includes EyeToy too. We are thinking about the new possibilities of EyeToy, Nintendo DS and PSP. But we're thinking that some titles can still be released on many more platforms.

I had a new impression of Nintendo DS when I had the chance to see the touch panel feature. As DS was presented to all the game creators we all thought about the new possibilities for upcoming titles. This brand new device has a lot of cool new possibilities for the new Sonic title. With touch panel, there is a lot you can do - you can slide on it, or just touch it and hit it, or whatever - and a lot of this will suit Sonic DS.

Kikizo: As a game developer, which new handheld platform do you find more exciting, Nintendo DS or PSP?

Yuji Naka: Well I would say both of course. While the Nintendo DS offers touch panels, the wireless features of both entices gamers to play together more

01c.jpg

and some she-Producer that works for sega

05.jpg

She helped produce astro boy and has this to say.

Kikizo: Let's start by discussing Astro Boy for PS2. This is a really popular brand in Japan but some western users might not be familiar with it - how did the Astro Boy project come to Sega and how do you think western users will respond to it?

Mineko Okamura: Astro Boy is a big project that Sony Pictures controls all over the world. In the United States, AstroBoy will be their first presentation, but it's popular in Japan, so I believe it has potential in the US too. On Cartoon Network, the new TV animation series will start soon also, plus there will be big merchandise promotions.

Kikizo: How did you start to build the game? One of our reviewers who has been playing Astro Boy for PS2 remarked on how it almost feels like NiGHTS when you're flying around, was that intentional?

Mineko Okamura: Well the story is based on the new TV animation series originally, and we are focussed on Astro Boy's abilities as a powerful, but child-like robot. He's powerful at heart but so small! He can fly freely like Superman, and these things are the attractive points of AstroBoy. Many who have played the game have said that it's a similar feeling to NiGHTS. It's a coincidence, but you know, we the members of the Astro Boy team love NiGHTS, so I'm flattered to hear that!

Kikizo: Which aspect of the game would you say is be most exciting for gamers?

Mineko Okamura: I think it's the combination of the exciting battles and the huge 3D maps. The Metro City, a stage in Astro Boy, is really so huge. He can fly fast and freely, and the battle effects are powerful and gorgeous. It's the same kind of excitement as you get with Sonic, so it has the potential to really reach out to western gamers.

06b.jpg

Hmmm, according to that article, they'll be posting an interview with Nagoshi next... I wonder if we'll get any further details about the new Monkey Ball? Sega intrerview heaven!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is AstroBoy actually any good? I've heard mixed reactions so I don't know what to think...

Top Bottom