• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DMCA Notice Wipes Out 8,535 Yuzu Repos

Banjo64

cumsessed
fire destroy GIF

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm considering getting one of those cart dumpers, buying the games I want, and running them on an emulator. Assuming Switch emus don't need a BIOS from a Switch console, this would be perfectly legal as far as I'm aware. Am I mistaken?

Hudo

I dont believe most people goes that route
I am one of the few (retards) who actually go that route. I am buying the Switch games (I also own a Switch) that I intend to emulate because if I go that far, might as well pay the devs. Especially devs like Vanillaware, who, apparently, always run out of money during development.

But I am also a picky motherfucker. I have observed that I tend to buy fewer and fewer games as I am just more and more critical of the bullshit I tolerate. For example, I have no problem not buying Homeworld 3 if it's mediocre, even though I love RTS and Homeworld. I also regret buying Red Dead Redemption 2 because it is fucking insisting upon itself in annoying ways.

this wont be the reason, people also wants to play it for free.
unless go like this route:

"Buy Switch, plus the cart
then You can play emulator, whatever You like"

Emulation is a hassle. You have to troubleshoot a lot, go to a ton of shady websites downloading shit from there to install on your $2000 machine.

For any other system, people wouldn’t even think of doing it cause normal way of buying from store is convenient and offers great value.

Its a Nintendo specific problem. Having good looking games play natively at fair prices will pretty much remove any desire to go that route for most people.

StereoVsn

Emulation is a hassle. You have to troubleshoot a lot, go to a ton of shady websites downloading shit from there to install on your $2000 machine.

For any other system, people wouldn’t even think of doing it cause normal way of buying from store is convenient and offers great value.

Its a Nintendo specific problem. Having good looking games play natively at fair prices will pretty much remove any desire to go that route for most people.
Yep, some games run at such shit resolution and frame rates that it’s painful to play them.

Emulating BOTW at proper res/framerates and removing stupid weapon destruction via a cheat was amazing.

I do have an OG Switch I jail broke for this purpose to dump games I buy for emulation. For handheld though I normally run the carts as is because emulating Switch on Ally or Steam Deck doesn’t buy you much vs original hardware.

Honestly emulation is somewhat of a hassle, and I don’t believe there is this huge amount of people pirating the game in that way.

I am pretty sure most people pirate, and then play games on their home-brewed Switch (either OG the easy way or new ones with mod chip) vs PC. It’s easier and cheaper that way, and that doesn’t involve any emulators. Nintendo is tilting at windmills here with this crusade.

SaintALia

Try make some good hardware and you'd be safe from emulation for quite some time... God I miss the old Nintendo.
Yeah, that won't help. People emulated and pirated software for the N64, SNES and GC and they were decent for their time.

The only real requirement for emulation is: 'Can it be done?'
And of course, people willing to actually do it.

Having 'good hardware' never was a factor.

Belthazar

Yeah, that won't help. People emulated and pirated software for the N64, SNES and GC and they were decent for their time.

The thing is, those people who are also the ones who pirate PC games would've probably never bought it anyway. But on the other-hand I know quite a few people who regularly buy games on Steam/PSN/whatever and pirate Nintendo games on PC because they can't deal with how shitty everything is on real hardware. And pirating and emulating is much less of a hassle than having a switch and going through the trouble of all the steps required for dumping games legally to play.

People have shown time and time again they're willing to pay for digital if the service/product is good.

Last edited:
I'm considering getting one of those cart dumpers, buying the games I want, and running them on an emulator. Assuming Switch emus don't need a BIOS from a Switch console, this would be perfectly legal as far as I'm aware. Am I mistaken?

Switch emulators like Yuzu, and all I assume, do need encryption keys from your own Switch to legally emulate. You could just download someone else's, but then that's where you'll be entering a more than grey area. If you got the cart & you have the Switch then there's nothing illegal about it really.

this wont be the reason, people also wants to play it for free.
unless go like this route:

"Buy Switch, plus the cart
then You can play emulator, whatever You like"

My point is, the stronger the hardware, the harder to emulate. They use piss weak hardware and emulation is a viable option in no time.

Of course it would help. How's PS4 and Xbox One emulation?

StereoVsn

The thing is, those people who are also the ones who pirate PC games would've probably never bought it anyway. But on the other-hand I know quite a few people who regularly buy games on Steam/PSN/whatever and pirate Nintendo games on PC because they can't deal with how shitty everything is on real hardware. And pirating and emulating is much less of a hassle than having a switch and going through the trouble of all the steps required for dumping games legally to play.

People have shown time and time again they're willing to pay for digital if the service/product is good.
I think most people just late and play games on their Switch. They either have hacked OG or modded subsequent ones.

Folks who go through hoops to emulate Switch on fairly powerful PCs are a minority, IMO.

cireza

And this is precisely why we are drowning in PS5 emulators today.

cireza

Having good hardware never was a factor. Ok.

I missed the part where the PS5 was busted wide open to allow people to easily make emulators
Oh so finally having good hardware does make a difference after all.

Of course having good hardware, and not some prehistoric components that can be emulated on any computer, makes a difference.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Of course it would help. How's PS4 and Xbox One emulation?
They exist. But people still seem to miss the part about, 'Can it be done". Maybe I should have put it in bold, made the text bigger and have it in red.

I kinda assumed people were familiar enough with emulation to understand why some consoles get emulated and why others took so long. Or at least followed the emulation scene enough to install and get emulators running themselves for ins and outs and headaches of emulation.

But yeah, PS4 and XBO emulation does exist. The 'Can it be done' part is partially there. But, 'Can it be done', is one thing, 'Can it be done well' is another. I don't even think Xemu(OG XBox emu) is even at 90% compatibility yet(playable).

SaintALia

I'd argue pirating anything is a much better prospect to many people than buying ANY console hardware. It's just not an option to emulate and pirate current gen console hardware(PS5 and XBO) apart from Nintendo's, so it's a non-factor. If people could do it, they would. A top of the line PC would be blowing ANY currentgen console out of the water, it doesn't just apply to Nintendo.

Hell, games on Steam are constantly on sale, you just need to install the Steam client, no fees etc. But yet, piracy for Steam games is still rife.

Though, sometimes piracy ends up being less of a headache overall. I bought Dragons Dogma 1 last year to prepare myself for the sequel. I pirated the game before and I bought the game this time. Only to be met with crashes from time to time, weird graphic issues and some online issues with the GoG client.

Bought Zombi(U) on Steam recently too, only to find out I needed to install a Ubisoft client. Apparently the one linked to Steam wasn't working. I had to download and install it from Ubisoft itself. After I finally got it up and running..............sound effx was fucked. Looked to the forum, been going on for years and seemed it wont be fixed, uuninstalled and asked for refund.

When I pirated those games, I never had those problems. I won't go back to piracy, but these online stores have their own problems which make piracy more appealing other than it just being free, and we aren't even dragging in Denuvo into this.

SaintALia

Having good hardware never was a factor. Ok.

Oh so finally having good hardware does make a difference after all.

Of course having good hardware, and not some prehistoric components that can be emulated on any computer, makes a difference.
Look up how console hardware is emulated I guess?

It's not a matter of 'weak hardware'='easy to emulate'

That bit matters when you have the requisite tools needed to get the emulation actually underway.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Switch emulators like Yuzu, and all I assume, do need encryption keys from your own Switch to legally emulate. You could just download someone else's, but then that's where you'll be entering a more than grey area. If you got the cart & you have the Switch then there's nothing illegal about it really.
Given the price/availability (lack thereof) of the game dumper, maybe it's just easier if I get hold of an older Switch. Or see how Switch 2 does things and if it can give me good IQ in Switch 1 games.

Given the price/availability (lack thereof) of the game dumper, maybe it's just easier if I get hold of an older Switch. Or see how Switch 2 does things and if it can give me good IQ in Switch 1 games.

Grabbing an older Switch that was compatible with softmods would net you the keys needed for emulation and also the use of the Switch as a cart dumper to Micro SD (y) Never got around to trying that myself with my original as I just used the Switch for niche JRPG's outside of Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors, so ended up trading out for a Lite.

cireza

It's not a matter of 'weak hardware'='easy to emulate'
How easy a console is to emulate is irrelevant nowadays. Everything is standardized. It can and will be emulated.

The real barrier you want to raise is the minimum specs required to have this emulator run correctly on a PC. CPU, GPU, Memory, bandwidth etc... If every PC out there already surpasses what you put in your console at launch, then of course interest into emulating it will go through the roof.

Last edited:

Esppiral

This looks like. Wii to GameCube situation were both shared the same architecture and the same emulator is able to boot games from both consoles and Nintendo wants to avoid that

IAmRei

I am one of the few (retards) who actually go that route. I am buying the Switch games (I also own a Switch) that I intend to emulate because if I go that far, might as well pay the devs. Especially devs like Vanillaware, who, apparently, always run out of money during development.

But I am also a picky motherfucker. I have observed that I tend to buy fewer and fewer games as I am just more and more critical of the bullshit I tolerate. For example, I have no problem not buying Homeworld 3 if it's mediocre, even though I love RTS and Homeworld. I also regret buying Red Dead Redemption 2 because it is fucking insisting upon itself in annoying ways.
We are the same then 👍

proandrad

Nintendo inadvertently educating more people about the yuzu emulator, and doing a better job on informing the internet than the pirates ever could. I'm convince this all the fault of some boomer lawyer, who has convince Nintendo to dumb resources on this pointless war so they can continue to get paid. It's like when 3rd party agencies convinced major publishers they need to go woke or else they will get canceled and lose all their money.

Last edited:

SaintALia

How easy a console is to emulate is irrelevant nowadays. Everything is standardized. It can and will be emulated.

The real barrier you want to raise is the minimum specs required to have this emulator run correctly on a PC. CPU, GPU, Memory, bandwidth etc.
.. If every PC out there already surpasses what you put in your console at launch, then of course interest into emulating it will go through the roof.
Doesn't work like that. Consoles are becoming harder to emulate. It's not just about how powerful the console is.

Look up what it takes to get emulation off the ground for a console, the technical details for it especially.

The bolded is actually the least of your concerns(not the emulation devs anyway, only really more of an issue for the end user and not in the initial phases to get any emulator off the ground).

StereoVsn

Well there's a...not small...contingent of PCMR who feel "well priced games" equals $5 or free.

Maybe just best to keep shutting down the "preservation" attempts in cases like that.
Nah, this isn’t true. Games sell quite well on PC even with Denuvo and other crap pubs insist on.

Again, I would wager that most people pirate by playing games right on their modded Switches as it’s just easier.

SaintALia

So the only user that actually counts.

A team can make a working PS5 emulator day-one, if nobody can afford the PC to run it, Sony has nothing to be worried about.
That's not....you know what dude, you do you and believe whatever you want to believe.

I really wish I lived in a world that emulators for new consoles can get off the ground on day one without the need to secure any documentation and necessary details, and the only barrier to get them running was the simple matter of needing enough power to run the emulation to a 'sufficient' level(playable status, even with glitches). Or, god, 100% compatibility rate across all emus, or an emu that has high compatibility, fast AND accurate. Jesus, what a dream.

DaGwaphics

I understand Nintendo wanting to protect their IP, especially since the Switch is such a modern system.

Hopefully they don't make things too untenable for 2d emulation and things like that. I've played a lot of old games that simply wouldn't be accessible otherwise.

JCK75

You know Nintendo you could reduce emulation by releasing a system powerful enough to not easily emulate on a smart phone.

coffinbirth

This looks like. Wii to GameCube situation were both shared the same architecture and the same emulator is able to boot games from both consoles and Nintendo wants to avoid that
Exactly. Rumor has it that MigSwitch forced their hand regarding physical BC as well. What that means is still obviously a question mark, but I'm guessing it will be some sort of online check, which will undoubtedly infuriate many and further this ouroboros cycle.

Hudo

Do not fuck with the ghost of this man.
IVzKJhJ.jpeg
I once read an interview that claimed that Yamauchi was scared shitless of Namco becoming a home console manufacturer. Which is why he offered them better terms than other devs during the NES and SNES days.

ReyBrujo

Clicking on a star or a fork button at Github as an act of protest was stupid from the beginning. If you really want to protest, don't buy their products, or go support Ryujinx or someone who is doing emulation as a hobby.

Top Bottom