• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France : some sales numbers (3DS, Wii U, games)

Empty

those seem like impressive sales for niche games like monster hunter and bravely default. vive la france. especially compared to the horrible uk market.

IIRC it has always been that % in the total EU market.
By revenue, it's somewhere up there alongside the UK and Germany.

But in unit sales not necessarily. From memory for last gen, there were something like 8M Wiis, 8M 360s and 5M+ PS3s sold in the UK compared to the 6.16M Wiis, 3.13M 360s and 4.56M PS3s in France.

By revenue, it's somewhere up there alongside the UK and Germany.

But in unit sales not necessarily. From memory for last gen, there were something like 8M Wiis, 8M 360s and 5M+ PS3s sold in the UK compared to the 6.16M Wiis, 3.13M 360s and 4.56M PS3s in France.

for Nintendo, not overall
(and also probably not counting the Wii, lol)

Jup, UK is a very bad measure for Nintendo in EU. Bravely Default did very well in France, Germany and here in Belgium it was also sold out a couple of times. (low shipment of course, but it still means that Nintendo underestimated it)
It sold out in the UK too. Thing is its not really so much as Nintendo underestimating it (in part as the time it took for new copies implies reprinting rather than sending stock but holding stock is expensive) but rather retailers did not put in many orders for it so Nintendo did not make many copies. Why didn't retailers put in many orders? Because demand was not made by pre-ordering?

But even so sometimes a retailer orders a load of copies and gets very few. One GAME store got like 1 copy of Okamiden for the pre-order. The manager took the copy for himself to sell on eBay though.

Nintendo should handle its operations on the UK from Germany or France.
They pretty much do. The UK is just codestorm doing repairs and a small office in windsor dealing with marketing matters.

What were the Bravely Default UK numbers anyway? I've heard that it bombed a couple of times but don't know the damage...
It can't have bombed in the sense of retailers are paying you to get rid of it but more in the sense it didn't sell many but what it did sell, did sell out. I think it was too low in the chart-track charts to even put a number on it though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
- Monster Hunter Ultimate sold 100k so far

That's very good, relative to the us numbers.

that's 3DS + Wii U, right? would be good to know the split.
I wonder if Capcom would be interested in a MH4U Wii U port for the West, or not.

Busaiku

Nintendo can make the difference between units sold and units gifted through the promotion.

What incentive would they have to keep these numbers separate, from a PR point of view?
It would make little sense if this figure didn't include promotions.

It can't have bombed in the sense of retailers are paying you to get rid of it but more in the sense it didn't sell many but what it did sell, did sell out. I think it was too low in the chart-track charts to even put a number on it though.

Ouch!
I wonder what precedent there was for such a low amount of copies to be printed here? Do RPG's typically fare poorly in the UK?
I guess I won't hold my breath for Dragon Quest 7 :(

Raist

Banned
France likes Japanese stuff in general, right?

Mangas are huge in France. 2ndmarket behind Japan, far ahead of anywhere else.
We had shitloads of japanese anime / liveshows on TV as early as the early 80's. Frm DB to Captain Harlock to Bioman, you name it. By the time DBZ was aired in the US, we already had seen it all.

There were also a bunch of really good french-japanese collabs on cartoons, such as Ulysses 31 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31

So, yeah, it's actually a big part of the pop-culture in France.

They seem to be doing pretty well.
I was under the impression Nintendo and Europe went together about as well as sandpaper and chocolate cake. So what happened to change that? Nintendo's performance in European countries seems to be fine, sans the UK, I guess. Or was I wrong about that?

Raist

Banned
I was under the impression Nintendo and Europe went together about as well as sandpaper and chocolate cake. So what happened to change that? Nintendo's performance in European countries seems to be fine, sans the UK, I guess. Or was I wrong about that?

France has always been a very strong market for Nintendo. Handhelds and Consoles.
I guess people didn't notice because of the DS/Wii. But the 3DS and WiiU are generally not doing good at all in Europe. Apart from France.

Porcile

France and Germany have always been fairly pro-Nintendo. The UK on the other hand has very little love for Nintendo outside of gaming circles. I think most people here just find Mario a little creepy and we have a ton of nostalgia for our own cultural creations.

Speaking for Italy, piracy happened.
Every family had a Nintendo DS with an R4 flashcard. Also, Nintendo Wii was the cheapest console.

By the way, what is really hurting Nintendo in Europe it's the lack of FIFA.

Top Bottom