• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobel Prize announcements for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ektoll

Jules Hoffman works at the IBMC, where I'm doing a first semester stage in structural biology. He also won the CNRS gold medal a few days ago. It's incredible, some friends of mine have made stages under his tutoring, it's a great honor!

We now have 2 Nobel Prizes winners in my University: Jean-Marie Lehn (Chemistry) and Hoffman. Strasbourg FTW! :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ektoll said:
Jules Hoffman works at the IBMC, where I'm doing a first semester stage in structural biology. He also won the CNRS gold medal a few days ago. It's incredible, some friends of mine have made stages under his tutoring, it's a great honor!

We now have 2 Nobel Prizes winners in my University: Jean-Marie Lehn (Chemistry) and Hoffman. Strasbourg FTW! :D
You will be the third. BELIEVE ...

No pressure bud ;)

jorma

is now taking requests
berg ark said:
Pretty excited to see the ceremony. Hope our King screws up yet again. Will sit here and laugh.

I have found new respect for the Knig since i found out he fucked La Camilla from Army of Lovers back when she was hot. So awesome.

kottila

ektoll said:

We don't have a single one. I guess it's time to change university.

edit: actually we have a Ig-Nobel prize.
http://www.uib.no/isf/people/doc/leech.htm

Two doctors found that leeches were drawn to the smell of garlic and hypothetised that garlic would attract and not repel vampires.(and that beer makes leeches drunk)

ektoll

Fersis said:
You will be the third. BELIEVE ...

No pressure bud ;)

Actually, there should have been a third Nobel awarded to Marat Yusupov for his work on the structure of the ribosome in 2009, but it was a concurrent team who won it, despite having done the same kind of research! Our professors speak of this as a "steal" lol... But Yusupov can rejoice with the 2012 Aminoff prize of cristallography he won a week ago (with 100 000 SEK also ;) )!

[brag]
Yusupov work at the IGBMC, where I'm gonna do my second stage the next semester
[/brag]

kottila said:
We don't have a single one. I guess it's time to change university.

edit: actually we have a Ig-Nobel prize.
http://www.uib.no/isf/people/doc/leech.htm

Two doctors found that leeches were drawn to the smell of garlic and hypothetised that garlic would attract and not repel vampires.(and that beer makes leeches drunk)

Hahahaha, that's an awesome study! :D

CiSTM

Banned
Xu5gw.jpg
zhMK4.jpg
teE4E.jpg

The 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics is awarded "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae" with one half to Saul Perlmutter and the other half jointly to Brian P. Schmidt and Adam G. Riess.

"Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice..." *
What will be the final destiny of the Universe? Probably it will end in ice, if we are to believe this year's Nobel Laureates in Physics. They have studied several dozen exploding stars, called supernovae, and discovered that the Universe is expanding at an ever-accelerating rate. The discovery came as a complete surprise even to the Laureates themselves.

In 1998, cosmology was shaken at its foundations as two research teams presented their findings. Headed by Saul Perlmutter, one of the teams had set to work in 1988. Brian Schmidt headed another team, launched at the end of 1994, where Adam Riess was to play a crucial role.

The research teams raced to map the Universe by locating the most distant supernovae. More sophisticated telescopes on the ground and in space, as well as more powerful computers and new digital imaging sensors (CCD, Nobel Prize in Physics in 2009), opened the possibility in the 1990s to add more pieces to the cosmological puzzle.

The teams used a particular kind of supernova, called type Ia supernova. It is an explosion of an old compact star that is as heavy as the Sun but as small as the Earth. A single such supernova can emit as much light as a whole galaxy. All in all, the two research teams found over 50 distant supernovae whose light was weaker than expected - this was a sign that the expansion of the Universe was accelerating. The potential pitfalls had been numerous, and the scientists found reassurance in the fact that both groups had reached the same astonishing conclusion.

For almost a century, the Universe has been known to be expanding as a consequence of the Big Bang about 14 billion years ago. However, the discovery that this expansion is accelerating is astounding. If the expansion will continue to speed up the Universe will end in ice.

The acceleration is thought to be driven by dark energy, but what that dark energy is remains an enigma - perhaps the greatest in physics today. What is known is that dark energy constitutes about three quarters of the Universe. Therefore the findings of the 2011 Nobel Laureates in Physics have helped to unveil a Universe that to a large extent is unknown to science. And everything is possible again.

man, they should have gone with better pictures :D

Cyan

Banned
Awesome!

Somehow I hadn't realized that discovery hadn't been Nobeled yet.

P.S. Another Cal Nobel! :D

CiSTM

Banned
Chemistery Prize.
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for 2011 to Daniel Shechtman for the discovery of quasicrystals.

A remarkable mosaic of atoms
In quasicrystals, we find the fascinating mosaics of the Arabic world reproduced at the level of atoms: regular patterns that never repeat themselves. However, the configuration found in quasicrystals was considered impossible, and Daniel Shechtman had to fight a fierce battle against established science. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2011 has fundamentally altered how chemists conceive of solid matter.

On the morning of 8 April 1982, an image counter to the laws of nature appeared in Daniel Shechtman's electron microscope. In all solid matter, atoms were believed to be packed inside crystals in symmetrical patterns that were repeated periodically over and over again. For scientists, this repetition was required in order to obtain a crystal.

Shechtman's image, however, showed that the atoms in his crystal were packed in a pattern that could not be repeated. Such a pattern was considered just as impossible as creating a football using only six-cornered polygons, when a sphere needs both five- and six-cornered polygons. His discovery was extremely controversial. In the course of defending his findings, he was asked to leave his research group. However, his battle eventually forced scientists to reconsider their conception of the very nature of matter.

Aperiodic mosaics, such as those found in the medieval Islamic mosaics of the Alhambra Palace in Spain and the Darb-i Imam Shrine in Iran, have helped scientists understand what quasicrystals look like at the atomic level. In those mosaics, as in quasicrystals, the patterns are regular - they follow mathematical rules - but they never repeat themselves.

When scientists describe Shechtman's quasicrystals, they use a concept that comes from mathematics and art: the golden ratio. This number had already caught the interest of mathematicians in Ancient Greece, as it often appeared in geometry. In quasicrystals, for instance, the ratio of various distances between atoms is related to the golden mean.

Following Shechtman's discovery, scientists have produced other kinds of quasicrystals in the lab and discovered naturally occurring quasicrystals in mineral samples from a Russian river. A Swedish company has also found quasicrystals in a certain form of steel, where the crystals reinforce the material like armor. Scientists are currently experimenting with using quasicrystals in different products such as frying pans and diesel engines.

CiSTM

Banned
Live stream is now on @ nobelprize.org
less then 20 minutes and we will find out who will take the nobel for literature.

Mr Bob-san

Neo Member
Serbian author Dobrica Cosic recipient of 2011 Nobel prize in Literature
“We lie to deceive ourselves, to console others, we lie for mercy, we lie to fight fear, to encourage ourselves, to hide our and somebody else's misery."
Citation from the novel trilogy Divisions (Deobe)
The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2011 is awarded to the Serbian author Dobrica Cosic, the last dissident of the 20th century, witness of a declining era, as well as the prophet of an emerging one.

All his life Dobrica Cosic has been writing one continuous story, one novel. One doesn't easily forget his characters and the meaning of their universal love, hate, pleasure and pain.

http://www.nobelprizeliterature.org/

Edit: Looks like a fake website :/

Edit 2: Finally a Swede again!

CiSTM

Banned
will add press soon as it hits nobelprize.org
Ma6Fa.jpg

Tomas Tranströmer

The Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 was awarded to Tomas Tranströmer "because, through his condensed, transluscent images, he gives us fresh access to reality".

CiSTM

Banned
ElTopo said:
Oh come on...that's BS!
I think Philip Roth should have finally won the prize for his long lasting and consistent career. Murakami seems to be falling further from the prize too :(

Forsete

Gold Member
ElTopo said:
Oh come on...that's BS!

Edit:
Not saying he doesn't deserve it at all, but I had kinda hoped for a different choice.

Patriot 4 Lyfe. ;)

But I agree, it would be nice if they chose someone I have heard of or have read. I can honestly say I have never heard of Tranströmer. But I don't read poetry, so no surprise there.

jorma

is now taking requests
kottila said:
how is economics more important than chemistry, physics and medicine?

I suspect trolling, the economic prize is not even a real nobel prize.

Sealda

Banned
Tranströmer is 80 years old. I am pretty sure they gave it to him because no one in the committee wanted him to die without the price. Murakami and the rest are not as old.

thomaser

Forsete said:

That's funny! I have a book by Harold Bloom called "The Western Canon", and in the back there's a HUGE list of authors Bloom deems canonical. I read through the whole list just a few hours ago, and stopped at Tomas Tranströmer because I had never heard of him, and I consider myself knowledgeable about Scandinavian literature. Well, now I know who he is. Thanks, Nobel committee!

thomaser

Quadrangulum said:
I hope Murakami gets the literature award.

So do I, sooner or later. But not before Pynchon gets it. Pynchon will probably never get it, though, since he'll refuse to show up for the ceremony.

swoon

Sealda said:
Tranströmer is 80 years old. I am pretty sure they gave it to him because no one in the committee wanted him to die without the price. Murakami and the rest are not as old.

he's also a wonderful poet.

@tejucole is doing some great work in explaining his work/translation.

jorma

is now taking requests
kottila said:
but the peace prize is practically the least meaningful...(except for economics)

yeah, they are both that, i think mainly because they are the two most political and agenda-driven prizes.

Deku

Banned
jorma said:
yeah, they are both that, i think mainly because they are the two most political and agenda-driven prizes.

Economics isn't really a 'science' but previous winners like Krugman won on the basis of works that brought new insight into economic theory.

You have got to be kidding me

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/will-mark-zuckerberg-win-the-nobel-peace-prize.html

Mark Zuckerberg was named Time's Man of the Year in 2010. Could he be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize next?

It may seem unlikely, but on Wednesday Thorbjorn Jagland, the chairman of the Nobel Peace Prize Committee, made some provocative comments that fueled speculation Zuckerberg could be a contender for the prestigious award.

"For me and the committee it is quite obvious if you look at the world today and see what is happening out there," Jagland said in an interview with the Associated Press. "What are the major forces pushing the world in the right direction?"

Could he be referring to a Web platform that allows users to connect around the world?

The Nobel foundation, which sponsors the prize, does not list the names of the contenders, but it has publicly stated that it received 241 nominations -- 188 individuals and 53 organizations. The prize is being awarded Friday.

There are thousands of people who are eligible to nominate contenders, and it's entirely possible that Zuckerberg was nominated.

Also, keep in mind that this was the year of the Arab uprisings, a revolution that some observers say was possible only because of the way online platforms like Facebook and Twitter allowed protesters to connect.

Zuckerberg himself has downplayed Facebook's role in the Arab Spring.

"It would be extremely arrogant for any specific technology company to claim any meaningful role," he said at the e-G8 summit in Paris earlier this year. "The thing that was both necessary and sufficient was a population of people who felt very strongly that change needed to happen."

But perhaps that humility makes him all the more ... Nobel?

National Review writer Jay Nordlinger, who has a book on the history of the Nobel Peace Prize coming out this March, said it's possible that Zuckerberg could win this year.

"I wouldn't bet on him, but I wouldn't bet against him," he said. He said Zuckerberg would be an "out there" choice, even for the famously eccentric Nobel prize committee.

"They've given the Nobel Peace Prize to a micro-lender and a global warmer campaigner and other environmentalists, so they can give it to just about anybody," he said. "The concept of peace in Oslo is that elastic."

What in the flying F!!!

CiSTM

Banned
Sealda said:

Murakami is really drifting away from his prize imo. There are some older writers who have written some great books recently and they will go ahead Murakami for sure. Also the prize for Tranströmer places some pressure for the swedish academics who are already facing some criticism from other nordic countries who are claiming that the they are favoring swedish authors. Especially in this case where Tranströmer is almost unknown poet internationally and really had no place to win the prize. Within two or three years the prize will be given to some other nordic writer.

edit: 20 minutes to peace prize!

Nander

Forsete said:
Patriot 4 Lyfe. ;)

But I agree, it would be nice if they chose someone I have heard of or have read. I can honestly say I have never heard of Tranströmer. But I don't read poetry, so no surprise there.

You follow the Nobel prize announcements and you have never heard of Tranströmer?! And on top of that you're from Sweden? He has been a favourite to win the prize just about every year for the last 20 or so years, and the only reason he hasn't gotten it earlier is because the Academy has been of the opinion that too many Swedish authors have already recieved the prize and that the "Swedish quota" is filled.

Very well deserved and very nice to see that the new Academy post-Engdahl didn't let politics interfere with letting the most worthy author get the prize.

CiSTM

Banned
Here it is everybody, not the facebook guy !
The 2011 Nobel Peace Prize is awarded jointly to Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkul Karman "for their non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women’s rights to full participation in peace-building work".

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2011

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2011 is to be divided in three equal parts between Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkul Karman for their non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women’s rights to full participation in peace-building work. We cannot achieve democracy and lasting peace in the world unless women obtain the same opportunities as men to influence developments at all levels of society.

In October 2000, the UN Security Council adopted Resolution 1325. The resolution for the first time made violence against women in armed conflict an international security issue. It underlined the need for women to become participants on an equal footing with men in peace processes and in peace work in general.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is Africa’s first democratically elected female president. Since her inauguration in 2006, she has contributed to securing peace in Liberia, to promoting economic and social development, and to strengthening the position of women. Leymah Gbowee mobilized and organized women across ethnic and religious dividing lines to bring an end to the long war in Liberia, and to ensure women’s participation in elections. She has since worked to enhance the influence of women in West Africa during and after war. In the most trying circumstances, both before and during the “Arab spring”, Tawakkul Karman has played a leading part in the struggle for women’s rights and for democracy and peace in Yemen.

It is the Norwegian Nobel Committee’s hope that the prize to Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkul Karman will help to bring an end to the suppression of women that still occurs in many countries, and to realise the great potential for democracy and peace that women can represent.

CiSTM

Banned
Nander said:
You follow the Nobel prize announcements and you have never heard of Tranströmer?! And on top of that you're from Sweden? He has been a favourite to win the prize just about every year for the last 20 or so years, and the only reason he hasn't gotten it earlier is because the Academy has been of the opinion that too many Swedish authors have already recieved the prize and that the "Swedish quota" is filled.

Very well deserved and very nice to see that the new Academy post-Engdahl didn't let politics interfere with letting the most worthy author get the prize.
I think the outrage comes mostly from other nordic countries tho. Especially since Sweden established the Nordic Council's Literature Prize comission and that pretty much was taken as the end of nobel prizes for rest of the nordic countries. Sweden gets the Nobels and rest gets the Nordic Council's prize :D And personally I think this years winner didn't have any place of winning the prize.

Nander

CiSTM said:
I think the outrage comes mostly from other nordic countries tho. Especially since Sweden established the Nordic Council's Literature Prize comission and that pretty much was taken as the end of nobel prizes for rest of the nordic countries. Sweden gets the Nobels and rest gets the Nordic Council's prize :D And personally I think this years winner didn't have any place of winning the prize.

Wherever the outrage is coming from, it has been the Academy's choice to not give the prize to a Swede in order to avoid the potential outrage.

Anyway, the last two poets who have won the prize have both said that they were heavily influenced by Tranströmer. On that basis alone, I think Tranströmer is worthy of the prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom