• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales results for March 2018

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not only did it sell well in April, but some tidbits indicate that it has the legs of the gods in the month of May as well. It's also said that GOW is pushing quite a few PROS, which I think I spoke about in some other thread on GOW launch day...though it was anecdotal at the time, but an analyst did give that bit of morsel to confirm. So yes, it's pushing systems, especially PRO's.

Thanks. And E.A. said single player games were dead lol

thelastword

Banned
Thanks. And E.A. said single player games were dead lol
Yeah, they did didn't they? EA's singleplayer games not selling better is their fault....If 2k had a stab at their cash cow Fifa or if 2k did NFL 2k, Tennis 2k etc....They would have a better sports package than what EA's dishing out, graphically and gameplay-wise. Madden still does not look as good as that famous Madden pic they showed way back when...Ea is just on auto-cruise, their NBA game does not look as good or play as good as 2k's......They have relegated NFS to a 30fps, bad acting, story driven affair, where you always have to be online for the most part, 30fps for NFS was always a mistake....

As for SP games, They wanted to make the last Deadspace a COOP affair instead of focusing on a better SP title like the first two games, that one did'nt do as well. They thought all everybody wanted was Garden Warfare online, they run with that. GW was short lived for the most part when part 2 arrived. Mass Effect Andromeda did not review or sell as well as they wanted, but it's because the game was not as good as it could have been. Where is a new Dante's Inferno in the absence of many action games like Ninja Gaiden/Onimusha/DMC this gen from EA? They could defintiely cash in with the new GOW craze, but EA is just chasing microtransactions and online persistant titles.....

Calibos

134k, ouch. Don’t worry guys, i hear state of decay 2 is a system seller.

Epic shitpost.

Yeah, they did didn't they? EA's singleplayer games not selling better is their fault....If 2k had a stab at their cash cow Fifa or if 2k did NFL 2k, Tennis 2k etc....They would have a better sports package than what EA's dishing out, graphically and gameplay-wise. Madden still does not look as good as that famous Madden pic they showed way back when...Ea is just on auto-cruise, their NBA game does not look as good or play as good as 2k's......They have relegated NFS to a 30fps, bad acting, story driven affair, where you always have to be online for the most part, 30fps for NFS was always a mistake....

As for SP games, They wanted to make the last Deadspace a COOP affair instead of focusing on a better SP title like the first two games, that one did'nt do as well. They thought all everybody wanted was Garden Warfare online, they run with that. GW was short lived for the most part when part 2 arrived. Mass Effect Andromeda did not review or sell as well as they wanted, but it's because the game was not as good as it could have been. Where is a new Dante's Inferno in the absence of many action games like Ninja Gaiden/Onimusha/DMC this gen from EA? They could defintiely cash in with the new GOW craze, but EA is just chasing microtransactions and online persistant titles.....

While I don’t agree that single player games are “dead”, compare some numbers on both sides for once.

Overwatch
Call of Duty
The Division
Wildlands
Destiny
PubG
Fortnite
Battlefield
Battlefront
..and more crush single player games in sales. It’s a harsh, simple fact. That is why large publishers are all trying to bite the multiplayer pie to make up for the costs of running their large corporations.

On topic, GoW definitely drove some sales on PS4 and I am sure it pushed some Pros. I would love to know how many X1s were the X model? Mostly because revenue is way up year over year for Ms’s Xbox division and hardware was cited as a reason.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Ni no Kuni on charts is amazing .....though it was a niche game little people care.

GTA 5 : What kind of sorcery it is?

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I'm surprised GTA: 5 hasn't been ported to Switch. It's still going strong and would probably add a few million more in unit sales + DLC/mtx...

At this point why not?

mckmas8808

Epic shitpost.

While I don’t agree that single player games are “dead”, compare some numbers on both sides for once.

Overwatch
Call of Duty
The Division
Wildlands
Destiny
PubG
Fortnite
Battlefield
Battlefront
..and more crush single player games in sales. It’s a harsh, simple fact. That is why large publishers are all trying to bite the multiplayer pie to make up for the costs of running their large corporations.

On topic, GoW definitely drove some sales on PS4 and I am sure it pushed some Pros. I would love to know how many X1s were the X model? Mostly because revenue is way up year over year for Ms’s Xbox division and hardware was cited as a reason.

All you did here was decide to not post the big single player games that sold well.

Calibos

All you did here was decide to not post the big single player games that sold well.

All you did here was make no counterpoint.

Horizon? Uncharted? Zelda? I don't think any of them touch Overwatch, Fortnite, PubG or Destiny in sales or overall revenue. God of War is the latest, and while it is killing it in sales, it isn't going to settle close to the 25+million that Overwatch and PubG have sold. It doesn't have the Microtransactions and post revenue that any of the games I listed have. Unless you can point to something that proves that wrong? Being a critical Hit and at the top of the charts for a few weeks/months doesn't equal the type of financial returns that the games above have.

Good for gaming? YES
Good from a long term financial perspective? Maybe in some cases I suppose...looking at GTAV.

Also, I am not saying that I agree or like the sentiment in any way...Just that it's a harsh reality of games now for mega sized publishers. If I am wrong I will gladly eat that crow.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm surprised GTA: 5 hasn't been ported to Switch. It's still going strong and would probably add a few million more in unit sales + DLC/mtx...

At this point why not?

It's a tablet? Maybe they can make a streaming version.

mckmas8808

All you did here was make no counterpoint.

Horizon? Uncharted? Zelda? I don't think any of them touch Overwatch, Fortnite, PubG or Destiny in sales or overall revenue. God of War is the latest, and while it is killing it in sales, it isn't going to settle close to the 25+million that Overwatch and PubG have sold. It doesn't have the Microtransactions and post revenue that any of the games I listed have. Unless you can point to something that proves that wrong? Being a critical Hit and at the top of the charts for a few weeks/months doesn't equal the type of financial returns that the games above have.

Good for gaming? YES
Good from a long term financial perspective? Maybe in some cases I suppose...looking at GTAV.

Also, I am not saying that I agree or like the sentiment in any way...Just that it's a harsh reality of games now for mega sized publishers. If I am wrong I will gladly eat that crow.

Are we going to act like selling 20 million is now the goal that devs are shooting for? Of course multiplayer games provide the highest ceiling for sales. But that's not what publishers are/should be shooting for. If EA's main goal is to have a 20 million unit seller, than they've already lost every battle and the war.

Selling 5 million units of a high quality single player game at the average cost of $50, gets you $250 million. And that's not including any microtransactions. Are we suppose to act like a quarter billion dollars is worthless now?

Calibos

Are we going to act like selling 20 million is now the goal that devs are shooting for? Of course multiplayer games provide the highest ceiling for sales. But that's not what publishers are/should be shooting for. If EA's main goal is to have a 20 million unit seller, than they've already lost every battle and the war.

Selling 5 million units of a high quality single player game at the average cost of $50, gets you $250 million. And that's not including any microtransactions. Are we suppose to act like a quarter billion dollars is worthless now?

Easy there. I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that large publishers with enormous bottom lines are seeing the success of games like Overwatch, Fortnite and PubG, which millions and millions of people are playing and spending money on for months and months, and they are all talking about how they can get a piece of that pie.

I don't want this to be their goal.

I don't want single player games to die.

250 million is not a worthless amount.

I just understand why large publishers, who have boards made up of bean counters and 1%-ers, are looking towards a future of multiplayer, GaaS games with microtransactions, loot boxes and pink hats for sale. As I said, it sucks for gaming, but it's a harsh reality.

Look at Twitch, since everyone on Gaf wants to measure a games success by how much it's streamed too. 17 of the top 24 right now are Multiplayer, GaaS focused games.

Twitch Directory

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Easy there. I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that large publishers with enormous bottom lines are seeing the success of games like Overwatch, Fortnite and PubG, which millions and millions of people are playing and spending money on for months and months, and they are all talking about how they can get a piece of that pie.

I don't want this to be their goal.

I don't want single player games to die.

250 million is not a worthless amount.

I just understand why large publishers, who have boards made up of bean counters and 1%-ers, are looking towards a future of multiplayer, GaaS games with microtransactions, loot boxes and pink hats for sale. As I said, it sucks for gaming, but it's a harsh reality.

Look at Twitch, since everyone on Gaf wants to measure a games success by how much it's streamed too. 17 of the top 24 right now are Multiplayer, GaaS focused games.

Twitch Directory

We definitely agree. Sucks that bean counters run so much of the industry.

Calibos

We definitely agree. Sucks that bean counters run so much of the industry.

Forum posts always sound so angry.

I do think that Sony is leading a charge with amazing single player games combined with the systems popularity dominating news cycles. With games like GoW killing it critically and in sales of both software and pushing hardware, other companies can't help but take notice of that too. MS is scrambling right now to get some compelling single player games spooled up. Ubisoft is releasing a new Splinter Cell. Dice is keeping their single player experience for Battlefield V etc...

On the other side, CoD has completely dropped single player in favor of a Battle Royale mode. Which sucks because I have always loved their SP games, but I bet there is a huge market out there for a CoD BR.

It's sad to see statements like "Single player games are dying", but these statements are not really representative of the industry as a whole.

mckmas8808

Forum posts always sound so angry.

I do think that Sony is leading a charge with amazing single player games combined with the systems popularity dominating news cycles. With games like GoW killing it critically and in sales of both software and pushing hardware, other companies can't help but take notice of that too. MS is scrambling right now to get some compelling single player games spooled up. Ubisoft is releasing a new Splinter Cell. Dice is keeping their single player experience for Battlefield V etc...

On the other side, CoD has completely dropped single player in favor of a Battle Royale mode. Which sucks because I have always loved their SP games, but I bet there is a huge market out there for a CoD BR.

It's sad to see statements like "Single player games are dying", but these statements are not really representative of the industry as a whole.

Yeah, it's the one thing that Silicon Valley has to figure out when it comes to social media and the internet. Displaying emotions through typing/reading hasn't really advanced much. It's hard to get across your actual feelings without sounding like you want to punch the person in the face lol.

I truly wonder if Activision will sell this year's CoD game for $39.99 since it's a big multiplayer only game. At that price, it makes that game very interesting.

daibaron

Banned
PUBG and fortnite are crappy games, despite being free what are they good for? Is this kind of shit the future of videogames? At least overwatch has minimal polish.

Calibos

Yeah, it's the one thing that Silicon Valley has to figure out when it comes to social media and the internet. Displaying emotions through typing/reading hasn't really advanced much. It's hard to get across your actual feelings without sounding like you want to punch the person in the face lol.

I truly wonder if Activision will sell this year's CoD game for $39.99 since it's a big multiplayer only game. At that price, it makes that game very interesting.

Me too and I hope they do. But I guess the question for them will be "Do they need to sell it at a discounted price?" For some reason, I think the large CoD fanbase will pay the full price as according to the numbers, most of them don't play single player and have been paying the $60 for years. If their BR mode is done correctly, 100 players, massive map, cosmetics, CoD gameplay and weapons all at 60fps...It will take over.

PUBG and fortnite are crappy games, despite being free what are they good for? Is this kind of shit the future of videogames? At least overwatch has minimal polish.

Ok man. Opinions and all...Obviously they are good for something as something like 50 million+ are playing them right now as I am typing this....All these games can and will co-exist in the future though.

Last edited:

demigod

It looks like the pirate ship has sank in April and MLB The Show is #3 and ahead of it year to date.

I wish someone would make new monthly npd threads.

mckmas8808

It looks like the pirate ship has sank in April and MLB The Show is #3 and ahead of it year to date.

I wish someone would make new monthly npd threads.

Are the numbers out? I thought they came out on Thursdays

mckmas8808

nowhat

Man I miss the days of GAF getting this news and someone starting a thread about it.
FWIW there's a thread now, but it sits currently lower than the March thread. Oh well, such is life (and as someone much wiser than I said, "it keeps getting sucher and sucher").

Top Bottom