• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NX Gamer) Resident Evil 4 Remake: Patched Visual & Frame Rate review - PS5, Xbox Series X

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Modern gaming can be a blessing and a curse, mere days after a release we can be inundated with patches. Capcom abstained a few weeks, but in line with their Mercenaries free DLC mode they have a new patch for current generation consoles. What has happened to the Xbox Series X visuals after this patch, what has changed and is it all for the better or worse?

Iamgoat100

Neo Member
I posed this in another thread but I will put this here as well.

I know he said it wasn't much of a downgrade on Series X in framerate mode but in my opinion it is though. I have been playing the game in framerate mode with no shimmering, and when the patch dropped I instantly noticed the change with the shimmering present and it was quite jarring. I have since switched to resolution mode with everything else off. The framerate seems to have improved enough to stay in VRR range from what I have played so far.

All of this is somewhat odd considering RE Engine games have historically had the same IQ across console but seemed to (for whatever reason) slightly perform better on Xbox.

Darsxx82

The funny thing is that the performance mode in XSX before the patch looked better than the resolution mode after the patch.
The performance mode with RT before the patch offered a very good experience in both IQ and performance.Now the performance mode has horrible IQ even though it is more stable.
To enjoy resolution mode you still need TV VRR but there is no good option anymore.

If the goal was to make Xbox users happy..... for my part they have done the opposite.

It is to put the demo, compare and cry for the blow that they have given to the IQ in XSX with the patch.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The funny thing is that the performance mode in XSX before the patch looked better than the resolution mode after the patch.
The performance mode with RT before the patch offered a very good experience in both IQ and performance.Now the performance mode has horrible IQ even though it is more stable.
To enjoy resolution mode you still need TV VRR but there is no good option anymore.

If the goal was to make Xbox users happy..... for my part they have done the opposite.

It is to put the demo, compare and cry for the blow that they have given to the IQ in XSX with the patch.

Completely agree, game looked amazing in framerate mode with RT on, I played through the whole game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have no idea what they have done here, or why.

I would have liked Michael to test both versions with RT and hair on in performance mode so we can actually see what the improvement was.

"Actually what theyve done here won't benefit the main game as much but rather will be a big improvement for the Mercenaries mode" ..... yay.

I don't like the acceptance of worse iq traded for performance. He compares what they did here with what they did with RE3 on Xb1X when they dropped resolution to gain frames but crucially different is Re3 didn't have an issue with messy, noisy, shimmery image. So if it worked for re3, why not drop the resolution slightly like they did there?

I understand it's NX's opinion that the changes are no big deal but man i wish guys like him and DF wouldn't put their stamp on this update just because the fps is better. It doesn't reflect the community's feelings at all and will actually hurt our chances of Capcom doing anything to come up with a better solution.

Lysandros

Well it seems XSX is significantly closer now to PS5 performance in RT mode (about 4% of difference) at same IQ and resolution. And in performance mode while XSX resolution is a bit lower at 1836P compared to PS5's 1944P, it now runs as good as PS5.This will surely benefit the majority o players without a VRR compatible display. With the controller issues much improved this is mostly a win i think.

Last edited:

Iamgoat100

Neo Member
Completely agree, game looked amazing in framerate mode with RT on, I played through the whole game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have no idea what they have done here, or why.

I would have liked Michael to test both versions with RT and hair on in performance mode so we can actually see what the improvement was.
I agree I wish he would have went a little more indepth. But he did show that now framerate mode with everything turned off appeared to be a locked 60 across the board, at least in the parts he tested. This was not the case before. I believe he alluded to the fact, and I agree with him, that this will probably help the mercenaries mode with all the chaos that can ensue there.

We have to understand that we are on an enthusiast forum and many of us have VRR displays, therfore to us the game appeared to run smoothly. This would not be the case with the mass public running non VRR displays. But I also have to ask myself, does the mass public even care about performance the way enthusiast's like us on this forum do?....

I understand why Capcom did what they did, but for the sake of my own selfishness, I don't have to like it, lol....

I was playing in performance mode with rt on and it was looking great. Now it's a mess. Resolution mode looks worse than pre patch performance mode. I realize people without vrr could have an advantage here, but those playing with vrr were harmed. Hope that Capcom restores the old picture quality back in some way

MikeM

I have an XSX and the only think I can say after that update is fuck Capcom. Worst update ever.
Blows my mind that Capcom would do this to people with VRR TVs. They should have left it alone and then used the new framerate mode for TVs without vrr. I don’t understand why this is such a hard concept.

RobRSG

All of this is somewhat odd considering RE Engine games have historically had the same IQ across console but seemed to (for whatever reason) slightly perform better on Xbox.
This is not true, the OG versions of RE2 and 3 look very different. Always shimmery on PS, and softer but much more defined on Xbox.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is one of those games and franchises that I love so much that I want everyone to enjoy it. I wish Capcom would fix the game for XSX players. We all deserve to enjoy this tremendous game.
I'm playing it on Series X, honestly haven't noticed anything that diminishes my enjoyment pre/post patch.

TonyK

I'm playing it on Series X, honestly haven't noticed anything that diminishes my enjoyment pre/post patch.
I can enjoy the game, a lot, probably more than before as now the control is better (my only complaint with the game was the deadzones), but the game I was enjoying now it looks blurrier and textures take several seconds to load after opening the map or the inventory.

I could enjoy the game even if after the patch it looked as original GC version, I love Resident Evil games, but that doesn't change the fact that the patch altered some graphical aspects that were fine and better before the update.

I mentioned it in another thread, but playing it on Series X I didn’t notice much of a difference visual-wise post patch. I did notice shimmering here and there, but the game doesn’t look much blurrier or anything too me. I’ll add the caveat that I’m also playing on a smaller 4K TV (42”), so the difference probably just isn’t that noticeable on it. Performance does seem better in said mode with RT on, so I’m alright with the patch; especially now with the more playable/smaller dead zone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The improvement in controls on Xbox is definitely appreciated in-time for Mercenaries.

Base game is nowhere near as hectic and fast as Mercs can get, so it was easier to get used to the original controls in the base game.

Lysandros

I thought that Capcom would fix the IQ on PS5, not that they would downgrade it on Series X. WTF!? 😒
Well they did improve the IQ on PS5 by adding XSX's sharpening pass and fixing the artifacts. I think XSX sharpening is a bit stronger to compensate the lower resolution in performance mode which possibly leads to more noticeable shimmering.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A remake of a remake that cannot achieve a solid framerate nor reach native HD resolutions lol

This is a really good looking game. Its got a sense of solidity and physicality that is extraordinarily rare, its also super important as to why it feels so good to play.

Its kinda nutty to me that people are getting so hung up on details, when the game as a whole is of such high quality.

TheShocker

I’m playing on resolution mode with RT on on XSX. Maybe I’m missing something, but I think it looks and performs better?

Kvally

Banned
NX Gamer?

The Last Of Us No GIF by PlayStation

Gambit2483

I still haven't tried the Ray Tracing mode on PS5 as I heard it hurts performance. Is it worth it (in performance mode) now after all the updates?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Inquiry:

In conclusion

PS5:

Resolution
Raytracing

And all the stuff like hair, motion blur and stuff can be put on without hampering performance?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Inquiry:

In conclusion

PS5:

Resolution
Raytracing

And all the stuff like hair, motion blur and stuff can be put on without hampering performance?

Post patch on PS5 i use resolution mode with RT on, i still kept everything else off. Everything looks so much better now to me than before

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I wonder why Capcom doesn't just adopt FSR2.x at this point.
Their temporal antialiasing / upscaling is terrible but they have a perfectly fine, free and open source solution that will work on all hardware.

And considering they already implemented DLSS2 in their REengine for the PC, adapting it to FSR2 should be a walk in the park.

Hugare

How is it running, locked 60? Does turning on hair massively affect the FPS?
Nowhere near locked 60 with resolution mode + RT when I tested yesterday (on the castle)

I'm running performance mode + hair and if its not a locked 60 now, its very near.

I started a new save only to benchmark the first area + village fight, and performance is now much better in performance mode. Almost locked 60 everywhere, I think.

PS5

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The PS5 version was better to begin with. It was still running at a higher resolution and better frame rate before the patch. It just had a shit imaging processing technique being used that they fixed.

1- That is subjective. PS5 at launch had a very very poor IQ, PS5 was working with a much less fps-demanding reconstruction method and with an IQ result far below XSX version. XSX (according to NXG itself) was also using higher resolution effects and hence the performance difference.

2- The PS5 IQ issues have not been resolved, they have only been "alleviated". The IQ still leaves a lot to be desired. They have simply increased sharpennig. IQ is still much worse than XSX pre patch.

3- With the patch, XSX has started to use the PS5 reconstruction method and with this it has gained in performance..... but it cannot be said that it has objectively improved the experience. The IQ cut has not been worth it, especially since the RT performance mode offered a very good experience and maintained a higher IQ than what XSX and PS5 now have in resolution mode. That is the reason that there are people who complain and why many XSX users are under the impression that the patch has caused a downgrade.

4-In quality mode the resolution was/is the same. Is slightly lower in performance mode but it could be the same because the XSX version keeps 60fps locked now. They have not even worried about optimizing and they simply limited themselves to changing the reconstruction method without touching resolution.

5- What they have done with the XSX version is the simple solution and minimal effort. And of course they have chosen a solution that has not been to the liking of the majority.

Last edited:

TonyK

The PS5 version was better to begin with. It was still running at a higher resolution and better frame rate before the patch. It just had a shit imaging processing technique being used that they fixed.
If you could see with your own eyes the demo in Xbox and Ps5 I'm sure you will doubt the pixel count for this game.

Synless

1- That is subjective. PS5 at launch had a very very poor IQ, PS5 was working with a much less fps-demanding reconstruction method and with an IQ result far below XSX version. XSX (according to NXG itself) was also using higher resolution effects and hence the performance difference.

2- The PS5 IQ issues have not been resolved, they have only been "alleviated". The IQ still leaves a lot to be desired. They have simply increased sharpennig. IQ is still much worse than XSX pre patch.

3- With the patch, XSX has started to use the PS5 reconstruction method and with this it has gained in performance..... but it cannot be said that it has objectively improved the experience. The IQ cut has not been worth it, especially since the RT performance mode offered a very good experience and maintained a higher IQ than what XSX and PS5 now have in resolution mode. That is the reason that there are people who complain and why many XSX users are under the impression that the patch has caused a downgrade.

4-In quality mode the resolution was/is the same. Is slightly lower in performance mode but it could be the same because the XSX version keeps 60fps locked now. They have not even worried about optimizing and they simply limited themselves to changing the reconstruction method without touching resolution.

5- What they have done with the XSX version is the simple solution and minimal effort. And of course they have chosen a solution that has not been to the liking of the majority.

If you could see with your own eyes the demo in Xbox and Ps5 I'm sure you will doubt the pixel count for this game.
Maybe I am wrong. I’m just going off DF’s analysis Which never sounded that promising for the Xbox version outside of visual quality.

Gambit2483

Post patch on PS5 i use resolution mode with RT on, i still kept everything else off. Everything looks so much better now to me than before
So wait...I've been playing it wrong (Performance/RT Off) this whole time?? 🤔

I always heard RT wasn't worth it due to performance hits so never even tried. Thought the patch might have fixed this so was rethinking RT usage..

Darsxx82

Maybe I am wrong. I’m just going off DF’s analysis Which never sounded that promising for the Xbox version outside of visual quality.
Well, the only thing that DF questioned in the XSX version was the control/dead zone problem. For the rest, DF did not complain much about the performance, among other reasons, because the performance mode offered a good experience in fps and IQ (I repeat, better IQ than the resolution mode of PS5 and XSX after the patch) and you also had the plus of good performance of VRR .

It's funny because the vast majority of users of the XSX version only asked for the improvement in control/deadzone and yet Capcom has touched the only thing they asked not to touch 😅

What they should do is to add a toggle to activate the nice AA / IQ the XSX had at release (on both consoles as apparently PS5 still has the performance edge even using the same settings). But maybe it's way more complicated than that.

What people don't realize (as this was not divulged by DF who mostly used the performance mode to compare framerate) is that the performance on XSX at release was truly horrendous in the resolution mode (often ~10fps lower than PS5) and was only mitigated by using a VRR TV.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So wait...I've been playing it wrong (Performance/RT Off) this whole time?? 🤔

I always heard RT wasn't worth it due to performance hits so never even tried. Thought the patch might have fixed this so was rethinking RT usage..

Prior to this recent patch, i was playing Resolution on with everything off, including RT. Since the patch, resolution with RT looks great to me.

Now that they have fixed the IQ problem on PS5 both versions look almost the same but it seems to perform a little better on PS5 in resolution mode, RE engine seemed to do a little better on SX but now with the latest releases (Monster hunter rise and RE4) it is on the contrary and it goes somewhat better on PS5.

Top Bottom