• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian turned down a Game of Thrones game published by EA back in 2005 (EUROGAMER)

FelipeMGM

Obsidian - the creator of Fallout: New Vegas, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity (among many others) - was offered the opportunity to make a game based on George R. R. Martin's story in 2005 by Electronic Arts (well, EA Partners).

It was six years before Season One of Game of Thrones aired on TV, nevertheless Obsidian co-founder and CEO Feargus Urquhart was well aware of the Song of Ice and Fire books - he'd followed them since the series started in 1996. He knew intimately what he was turning down, and he believed he had a good reason why.

more here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...udio-turned-down-a-game-of-thrones-video-game

Squire

Banned
Is it me or basically every RPG dev turned down GoT games?

Urquhart is right and most devs feel the same way for the same reasons. It doesn't really make any sense to try to imagine it in the most typical RPG terms. There's just very little there to game-ify.

It's better that EA committed to Dragon Age instead. They have a brand of the same type now that reviews and sells consistently. And it's theirs.

Man, an ASoiaF game not influenced by the show would be really interesting now especially. It's hard to imagine what it would have looked like 12 years ago.

Philxor

Urquhart is right and most devs feel the same way for the same reasons. It doesn't really make any sense to try to imagine it in the most typical RPG terms. There's just very little there to game-ify.

This just sounds so spot-on. There are so many other, richer sources to tap I am not surprised that Feargus and Obsidian passed on this. I still wouldn't want to go anywhere near Game of Thrones in any way as a developer.

I mentioned it earlier in the IP discussion thread, but Obsidian's interest in series like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time isn't surprising given it provides such a rich tapestry to work with in comparison.

playXray

Is it me or basically every RPG dev turned down GoT games?

IIRC Bethesda did the same thing. They made Skyrim instead, and part of me wonders if they kept some of the basic ideas from their ASoIaF pre-production and put them into Skyrim instead.

patapuf

I still think the best fit for GOT is grand strategy and mods like in Crussador kings 2 show that.

That or a telltale/ life sim style game with lots of choice and consequences and some managing elements.

Considering no-one gave a shit about ASoIaF relative to the current climate it was probably a wise decision. Just reminds me of people who think Blockbuster made a poor choice to not buy Netflix when they would almost have certainly fucked it to the point of it never have been anything significant.

Glass Rebel

That bit about War in the North is interesting and kinda dickish. No disrespect to Snowblind but I'd rather have had Obsidian's take on it.

Haunted

The world is ripe for a huge, sprawling, AAA RPG in the world of Westeros.

Fuck, I even enjoyed the janky eurotrash one we got, that's how good the world is and how invested I am into it.

ASOIAF is mostly about political intrigue which can work well for a RPG but it's a very different RPG, you could take on roles like Varys - there is one RPG that does this very well that came out recently, The Age of Decadence, a huge part of the game is intrigue and not even getting into combat yourself at all but causing factions etc to fight one another.

However the Crusader Kings 2 mod represents ASOIAF the best, it has all the mechanics to support political intrigue, single characters like kings, armies, etc. It's still the best adaption of ASOIAF premise.

Catvoca

Banned
I agree with their choice. The Game of Thrones books are superb, but remarkably poorly suited to being made into a video game.

The cyanide RPG is actually alright. The writing and quest design fits ASOIAF pretty well, even if the VO and visuals let it down.

Not surprising, I honestly can't imagine GoT as an RPG unless it deviates from the books a bit and lets typical RPG magic exist. But if typical magic exists said users would be basically gods.

I guess this can change but this makes it seem unlikely they are making that GoT game Target had listed. Sure they say it's not true now but it could very well be real.

Falchion

That's crazy, would've been interesting to see if that had any impact on the show if this had been made and was popular.

ArjanN

Honestly makes sense to me, you'd be so hamstrung in your storytelling by what the canon story is, and this was before it really blew up in popularity.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Obsidian was one of my favorite developers to work for back in the day. Feargus was an especially personable guy that I enjoyed chatting with. All of the Obsidian crew are damn talented, and love making good games.

I can 100% see why they'd pass on ASoIaF. The books are amazing reads, but adapting that to a game seems hard. I feel like pushing the focus to more "gamey" concepts would rob it of a major reason why people love the series. It seems like a fine line to try and walk if you want to balance gameplay with narrative. If they tried to focus on the combat and conflict with the white walkers, it risks feeling like every other fantasy themed action RPG out there. If they focused on the narrative, it'll just reinforce to the player that they'd be better off reading the books. I'm sure there's a way to do a GoT game properly (I enjoyed the Tell Tale game a lot), but I understand why a smaller studio like Obsidian would have passed on it, especially before it became a world wide phenomenon.

CloudWolf

I get his reason and I understand it (it's why I have been saying a Game of Thrones RPG would be hard to properly pull off), but damn, a good ASoIaF RPG by Obsidian would've been amazing.

jdstorm

Banned
With all due respect, not sure what the Obsidian guys are talking about in saying that there isn't much to Gamefy about ASOIAF. I think the far bigger issue is the scope of the project which would have to be insane to make things work.

Doing a 1:1 recreation of Westeros alone would be a huge task before you start adding other locations and multiple characters ect

Purkake4

Banned
Good choice, the franchise is a straitjacket at this point. You can pretty much do politicy, backstabby stuff in any old low-magic fantasy setting.

See Telltale's game for a cautionary tale.

The world is ripe for a huge, sprawling, AAA RPG in the world of Westeros.

Fuck, I even enjoyed the janky eurotrash one we got, that's how good the world is and how invested I am into it.
Just play Mount & Blade 2 when it comes out? There will probably be mods for ASOIAF if you really need that.

sotojuan

ASOIAF is the kind of franchise wherein action/not-Telltale games are not based on the actual books but lore before or after the book's events, giving the game writers some freedom. Sort of like KOTOR?

"Other than what weird stuff is going on beyond The Wall, and the dragons, and some hint [of fantasy/magic], there are no magic users, there are no clerics, no thieves. Basically there's dudes with swords and armour and a little bit of mysticism, but within the main land [the Seven Kingdoms] there's no goblins, no kobolds..."

What would players play beyond a soldier? What would they fight? Not much was known about beyond The Wall at this point. It was really relationships between key characters that set A Song of Ice and Fire off.

I feel like it could still work, but you would need From-tier combat to pull it off. In Souls, fighting a spear user feels sufficiently different from fighting a sword user, so you don't really need goblins or or orchs to add variety. And the core melee combat is sufficiently satisfying so that you won't really need mage classes. Though Red Priest or Warg could still serve as compelling mage classes. Since it would be dependent on good combat though, Obsidian wouldn't be a great fit.

I think a collaboration between a Japanese and a Western studio could work. Someone like From or Platinum for designing the combat, and someone like Obsidian or 2005 Bioware for dialogue and world design. Of course, no one would put that sort of money into a aSoIaF game back in 2005.

jdstorm

Banned
I feel like it could still work, but you would need From-tier combat to pull it off. In Souls, fighting a spear user feels sufficiently different from fighting a sword user, so you don't really need goblins or or orchs to add variety. And the core melee combat is sufficiently satisfying so that you won't really need mage classes. Though Red Priest or Warg could still serve as compelling mage classes. Since it would be dependent on good combat though, Obsidian wouldn't be a great fit.

I think a collaboration between a Japanese and a Western studio could work. Someone like From or Platinum for designing the combat, and someone like Obsidian or 2005 Bioware for dialogue and world design. Of course, no one would put that sort of money into a aSoIaF game back in 2005.

More like Assasins Creed world design meets a Valkyria Chronicles/Mousu hybrid all set in first person.

There were a few games working at fps/towerdefense hybrids at the time but i forget what they were now.

RPG elements would be all about relationship building to unlock new units/battle abilities. IE player character Rob Stark has to negotiate with minor house X and build relationships(affinity) with them to be able to use them on the battlefield.

This would work nicely with the actual story as key story events would be tied to affinity. For example early in the game you might start building affinity between House Stark and Lannister/Baratheon due to the proposed wedding of Sansa and Joffery.

Then obviously at some point certain story elements rupture that choice.

There would also need to be a loot style system for getting your armies/forces weapons.

Purkake4

Banned
RPG elements would be all about relationship building to unlock new units/battle abilities. IE player character Rob Stark has to negotiate with minor house X and build relationships(affinity) with them to be able to use them on the battlefield.

This would work nicely with the actual story as key story events would be tied to affinity. For example early in the game you might start building affinity between House Stark and Lannister/Baratheon due to the proposed wedding of Sansa and Joffery.

Then obviously at some point certain story elements rupture that choice.

There would also need to be a loot style system for getting your armies/forces weapons.
They already have all of this, it's called Crusader Kings 2: A Game of Thrones.

Top Bottom