• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMGRD T2 is just a flawless film

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never this till the internet age when you could check a film's cast, but at the beginning of the movie, Furlong's red head friend was Sam in Diffrent Strokes.

violence

This was the first movie I saw in HDR. I’m kind of glad I saw it first because I didn’t see any issues. Now that I’m educated, I think it looks horrendous. Ignorance is bliss.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, am I a dumbass? I somehow never knew T1 and T2 were James Cameron films. No wonder why I like them so much. It’s been probably 8-10 years since I’ve seen T2, I’m definitely due for a rewatch. Though I’m hearing that I shouldn’t watch the 4K rerelease?

Wow, am I a dumbass? I somehow never knew T1 and T2 were James Cameron films.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

violence

To be fair all he has done for 25 years is 2 blue cat films. Such a colossal waste of talent compared to his 80s/90s run.

And I LIKE Avatar, just damn.
I think he fell in love with doing deep sea stuff. Making films is hard and probably much less fun. I heard he was trying to get out of doing the next avatar sequels but will be hard wiggle out of it because avatar 2 made $2 billion.

jason10mm

Gold Member
While we are talking all things Terminator (I also just finished the quite fun Terminator:Resistance game and both DLCs), anyone have opinions on the comics? I see there is a three volume set of most(?) of the comics on some sort of kickstarter thing, minus the crossovers I think, but I have only vague memories of these and no idea of the quality of the stories. Still, I have omnibuses of Aliens and Predator, seems only right to add Terminator to it, I'm sure there are Robocop ones as well.

And speaking of the nightclub scene above, I'm curious if anyone sells a long tube laser sight like that anymore. GUARANTEE if you show up with a 6" 1911 with a sight like that, EVERYONE at the range is gonna want to check it out :p

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
T1 is better:

Great scene, only somewhat diminished by Arnie’s surprised face in a couple of moments. He should really be expressionless.

Two things of notice:
1) Sarah Connor not freaking the hell out nor screaming her lungs out like a Mary Jane Watson when the Terminator jumps on their car is excellent;
2) Michael Biehn was the unappreciated gigachad of 80s action movies. A fantastic actor too often forgotten only because that era was all about ‘roided-up superstars.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Great scene, only somewhat diminished by Arnie’s surprised face in a couple of moments. He should really be expressionless.

Two things of notice:
1) Sarah Connor not freaking the hell out nor screaming her lungs out like a Mary Jane Watson when the Terminator jumps on their car is excellent;
2) Michael Biehn was the unappreciated gigachad of 80s action movies. A fantastic actor too often forgotten only because that era was all about ‘roided-up superstars.
Besides his great roles in The Abyss and The Rock, he was in the FANTASTIC underappreciated flick Time Bomb, which had, for the times, some spectacular action.

And Patsey Kensit......yuuunnngghghhhhh!!!!

ueGRBSB.jpg

Jason~.4inches, this thread got me to watch Terminator 1. I'd seen it in bits and pieces but it was the first time watching it all in one go. Really good movie. Wish I'd seen it when I was younger and not as exposed to media inspired by it first. Planning on watching T2 again soon.

Facism

I remember seeing this. I was around 11. It was an experience. When you walk out of the theater, you really don't want to even exist. I mean, going from that awesome fucking movie, back into boring-ass real life was soul draining, as a kid.

I want to add Paul Verhoeven's movies also had a similar effect on me.

I grew up watching all these sorts of movies with my dad and brother. Better days tbh

Sulaco

I think the movie would've ended stronger at the Hasta la Vista bit with no resurrection scene (incredible as it was) or steelworks chase

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Great action and FX, but not a great - and certainly not perfect - movie.

Furlong's terrible, it makes Sarah such an unsympathetic psycho that Linda Hamilton can't do much with the part, the ending is total cheese (Terminators shouldn't give uplifting self-sacrificing speeches) and betrays the perfect closed-loop narrative established in the original film.
I know now why you cry…but it is something I can never do

Hrk69

I watched it yesterday for the first time

It was a fun watch but the film is highly overrated imo

I fucking HATED Sarah.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I know now why you cry…but it is something I can never do

Was I wrong to feel like the movie ending with Arnie descending into a vat of molten metal whilst holding a thumbs up gesture betrayed the premise of the original movie?

I mean c'mon; compared to the ending of the first movie with Sarah getting the original photo so treasured by Kyle, and the whole "A storm's coming in..."

Not even in the same ball-park, especially as it ret-cons out of existence Sarah's nuclear nightmare which is the dramatic engine driving the story.

Thaedolus

Was I wrong to feel like the movie ending with Arnie descending into a vat of molten metal whilst holding a thumbs up gesture betrayed the premise of the original movie?

I mean c'mon; compared to the ending of the first movie with Sarah getting the original photo so treasured by Kyle, and the whole "A storm's coming in..."

Not even in the same ball-park, especially as it ret-cons out of existence Sarah's nuclear nightmare which is the dramatic engine driving the story.
Meh, he was reprogrammed to be a good battlebot. And if you think too hard about time travel plots they almost always break down, even the first movie’s plot doesn’t really make sense if you think about it. How could Sarah be impregnated by Kyle in the first timeline when he wasn’t even born yet?

I like the first one better for the same reasons I like Alien better than Aliens, but really they’re all great flicks if you don’t think too hard about the plot

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I like the first one better for the same reasons I like Alien better than Aliens, but really they’re all great flicks if you don’t think too hard about the plot

Same, but these days I simply put it down to Cameron being a great director but a fucking terrible writer!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Same, but these days I simply put it down to Cameron being a great director but a fucking terrible writer!
Whoa, hold it with that hot take! JC writes all his own scripts! Think of all those iconic lines, great characters, and spectacular action. Thats him WRITING.

Is his dialogue occasionally clunky? Sure. He is a hippy so it bleeds through at times. Are his plots overly simplistic at times? Sure, but that is also why his films can appeal to a MASSIVE audience. While what we SEE on screen is simple, he usually has a massive tech bible backing up almost everything so there is very little internal inconsistency in his films. I wish more films took this approach rather than just shrug and hope the audience can suspend disbelief instead. You almost never need to do this for a JC film, he can account for most of the audiences questions and resolves them on screen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Around 15-20 years ago a bunch of us watched T2 on DVD. That glorious 480p. I remember when it got to the part with Arnie machinegunning T-1000, everyone loved it. My sister in law is typically one of those anti-violence movie watchers. I dont think she ever saw T2 (or the whole film) so that entire highway chase scene was new to her. But even she loved that scene. I remember her with her mouth open smiling and saying something like "whoa!!!"

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Whoa, hold it with that hot take! JC writes all his own scripts! Think of all those iconic lines, great characters, and spectacular action. Thats him WRITING.

Is his dialogue occasionally clunky? Sure. He is a hippy so it bleeds through at times. Are his plots overly simplistic at times? Sure, but that is also why his films can appeal to a MASSIVE audience. While what we SEE on screen is simple, he usually has a massive tech bible backing up almost everything so there is very little internal inconsistency in his films. I wish more films took this approach rather than just shrug and hope the audience can suspend disbelief instead. You almost never need to do this for a JC film, he can account for most of the audiences questions and resolves them on screen.

He can take the criticism cos he's been insanely successful over the years!

Here's the thing though; Terminator has a great script but he got his ass sued by Harlan Ellison for his lifts from Soldier/Demon with a glass hand. Aliens lifts its entire third act from the first movie just scaled up and switching the cat with a kid. The only reason people didn't see why The Abyss was a straight redo of The Day the Earth stood still was because the most egregious stuff was edited out on initial release. T2 he's copying himself but without the Ellison stuff it is what it is.

True Lies was fun, but hardly original, then we get Titanic, yeah.... and of course Dances with Smurfs where I swear I left the theatre demanding the gods of writing break Jim's fucking fingers for that abomination.

Last edited:
Man, this is James Cameron's year. They're re-releasing his classics on blu-ray UHD 4k.

Just recently watched the Abyss and T2.

It's amazing how his movies look like they could be new theater releases.
While I enjoyed/liked the abyss, it had a notoriously difficult production. Films aren't made like that anymore today AFAIK, but I appreciate when they really went all out to bring these stories and worlds to life.

Gotta have some admiration for the techniques/methods and the arduous challenges the actors went through.

Last edited:
While I enjoyed/liked the abyss, it had a notoriously difficult production. Films aren't made like that anymore today AFAIK, but I appreciate when they really went all out to bring these stories and worlds to life.

Gotta have some admiration for the techniques/methods and the arduous challenges the actors went through.

Yeah, nothing is made like it used to be, unfortunately. You can see the decrease in quality over time in anime, games, movies, for better or worse.

I also read that the Abyss had a rough production. Practical effects and props , believable water scenes, that's tough stuff.

Ed harris was the man.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, nothing is made like it used to be, unfortunately. You can see the decrease in quality over time in anime, games, movies, for better or worse.

I also read that the Abyss had a rough production. Practical effects and props , believable water scenes, that's tough stuff.

Ed harris was the man.
I have hope that we are starting to see "big budget" movies transition BACK to practical "in camera" effects with CGI being used to erase safety equipment that made older practical effects dangerous and the "all CG" crap actually being a sign of a low budget that just doesn't have the time/money for practical stuff. The recent James Bond, Mission:Impossible, etc show that more practical effects are the hallmarks of quality, while all CG video gamey scenes are relegated to silly genres (recent MCU and DCU films, for example).

I'll give Avatar a pass on this since JC elevates CG to a ridiculous level far beyond anyone else.

RNG

Just a heads up there’s a 35mm scan of the film in 4K and 1080p floating around the web right now if you search it up on good ol’ Google.

Apocryphon

I like most of the film. Sarah’s nighttime escape from her cell and the truck chase are my favourite parts, but the entire film is enjoyable to watch. I much prefer the darker tone of the original though, the sane way I prefer Alien to Aliens.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Terminator 2 was one of those rare instances where the sequel was even better than the original and the sequel was pretty damn good.

Top Bottom