• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on what the hell is happening in the games industry and why exclusives have become a risky business

Fredrik

Well phil has a valid point here. The console gaming community is shrinking. The new generations don't play on consoles so much. So while the numbers look good in terms of revenue, they don't last that long because console gamers get older, loose their interest or simply die out. So the industry needs to get to the new generations. But do far, this is not really working. Nintendo did it, but they also attracted a lot of people that don't buy that many games.
Yeah this is all true going by my anecdotal evidence. My kids and their buddies either play on Switch, mobile, tablets or PC.
PS5 and Series X is a dad thing, and rare. I’m the ”cool” dad who have everything. And I’m a dinosaur, almost 50.
Most popular games are Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, I’ve heard a few youngsters playing Palworld lately too, and Zelda TOTK gets mentioned.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Well phil has a valid point here. The console gaming community is shrinking. The new generations don't play on consoles so much. So while the numbers look good in terms of revenue, they don't last that long because console gamers get older, loose their interest or simply die out. So the industry needs to get to the new generations. But do far, this is not really working. Nintendo did it, but they also attracted a lot of people that don't buy that many games.
Yeah this is all true going by my anecdotal evidence. My kids and their buddies either play on Switch, mobile, tablets or PC.
PS5 and Series X is a dad thing, and rare. I’m the ”cool” dad who have everything. And I’m a dinosaur, almost 50.
Most popular games are Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, I’ve heard a few youngsters playing Palworld lately too, and Zelda TOTK gets mentioned.

This presumes that habits won't change as gen Z gets older.

Gen Z has no money to their own names and a lot of time. That's not going to be the case forever.

Top Bottom