• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Retro Consoles on 4KTVs is going to be easier than ever with the RetroTINK 4K and PixelFX Morph scalers

Ulysses 31

Orders are up! Just ordered one.

Hope it arrives this year still! :messenger_winking_tongue:

I would love one of these but it's just too expensive for me right now. If I wasn't planning a trip to Japan in April then maybe..

I swear retro gamers will find every reason to spend obscene amounts of money instead of just using a free emulator.
I know what your response will be but it's not the same. People like playing on original hardware and while emulation is mostly great it's not perfect either. I play on original hardware as much as possible. The exception is games like Rule of Rose where there's no chance that I will pay $600 for a single game.

Plus you have people that don't want a pc in their living room (plus as somebody w/ a ITX build for that exact reason it's also much more expensive), or just simply enjoy the act of pressing that button on their PS2, listening to that beautiful menu music, popping in a game, and playing it similar to how they did in 2000.

Ulysses 31

I would love one of these but it's just too expensive for me right now. If I wasn't planning a trip to Japan in April then maybe..
You planning to hook up HDMI legacy consoles? Otherwise the RetroTink 5X Pro will do the job fine too. Or the OSSC Pro.
I know what your response will be but it's not the same. People like playing on original hardware and while emulation is mostly great it's not perfect either. I play on original hardware as much as possible. The exception is games like Rule of Rose where there's no chance that I will pay $600 for a single game.

Plus you have people that don't want a pc in their living room (plus as somebody w/ a ITX build for that exact reason it's also much more expensive), or just simply enjoy the act of pressing that button on their PS2, listening to that beautiful menu music, popping in a game, and playing it similar to how they did in 2000.
It's not just playing on OG hardware, the filters make the game look a lot better than just the blurry pixels from cheap scalers with often increased lag. And not to mention all the options to enhance the picture quality for whatever look you're going for.

Edit: Sold out!

Last edited:
You planning to hook up HDMI legacy consoles? Otherwise the RetroTink 5X Pro will do the job fine too. Or the OSSC Pro.

It's not just playing on OG hardware, the filters make the game look a lot better than just the blurry pixels from cheap scalers with often increased lag. And not to mention all the options to enhance the picture quality for whatever look you're going for.

Edit: Sold out!
It would be something that would be for PS3 and below for me. Maybe Switch if it's worth it.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Tried to get one but a lot of website errors when checking out :messenger_sad_relieved:

When finally opened up the screen to put the address it was sold out. Another terrible pre-order experience.

baphomet

I was there checking out but decided against it last second.

If it weren't Christmas time and having a bunch of tattoos scheduled in the near future I would have grabbed one. I'll probably just wait until they restock, and hopefully by then someone will have made a bunch of top notch profiles.

dave_d

Same here. I just spent like $5000 on having some trees cut down and $1500 to get a snow blower. (I don't want to shovel my driveway anymore.) Oh well, maybe if they do a second run in a month or 2 maybe I'd order one. (It'd be nice to see my switch on my 4k oled upscaled via integer upscaling and not whatever mechanism the C9 uses.)

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I swear retro gamers will find every reason to spend obscene amounts of money instead of just using a free emulator.

Retro gaming for grown up nostalgics with alot of disposable income has now entered the same territory as extreme audiophiles who will pay thousands for turntables and speakers.

Orders are up! Just ordered one.

Hope it arrives this year still! :messenger_winking_tongue:

nice

Mike sold out of the initial run of 4Ks (several thousand) 30 minutes after they launched, another batch will be ready in January with a steady supply thereafter.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was able to get an order in, so I'm really looking forward to getting this. Been a busy week for fancy retro stuff, between this being up for sale and the Analogue Duo finally shipping. And then all I have to do is get the Analogue DAC, and a new TV that supports 120hz in my games room, and I swear, we're totally going to be good to go.

It never ends.

I was able to get an order in, so I'm really looking forward to getting this. Been a busy week for fancy retro stuff, between this being up for sale and the Analogue Duo finally shipping. And then all I have to do is get the Analogue DAC, and a new TV that supports 120hz in my games room, and I swear, we're totally going to be good to go.

It never ends.
What do you need the Analogue DAC for? Hooking up to a CRT or getting 240p from the Analogue consoles to do proper scaling in the 4K?

Because the 4K has an Analogue DAC emulation mode that tricks Analogue consoles into thinking they are connected to a DAC so it unlocks the 240p output if you just want it for scaling.

Why Analogue locked 240p output behind an additional device is beyond me.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

That's just too rich for my blood. Love retrogames, but I'm a casual player, PC emulation if more than enough for me. As for those invested in collections with huge libraries and shit, this comes mandatory I guess.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What do you need the Analogue DAC for? Hooking up to a CRT or getting 240p from the Analogue consoles to do proper scaling in the 4K?

Because the 4K has an Analogue DAC emulation mode that tricks Analogue consoles into thinking they are connected to a DAC so it unlocks the 240p output if you just want it for scaling.

Why Analogue locked 240p output behind an additional device is beyond me.

As far as I can tell, the Analogue Duo would need the DAC in order to output different resolutions properly without any fiddling. Can't remember if it's the same deal with the Super NT, Mega SG, or Pocket. In any case, though - yeah, everything's getting piped into the Retrotink 4K.

Honestly, I think I just need to spend some time tinkering with the 4K to figure out what I can do with it. I like that they hit a middle ground between the completely straightforward Retrotink 5x that simplified stuff almost to a fault and the OSSC, which was an absolute pain to dial in.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Got DLH shipping notice from Mike Chi! Delivery expected next week!

Found this stand to go with Tink from Etsy.

il_1588xN.5580774010_j3ge.jpg

zenspider

GAMEOPHILES with disposable income has now entered the same territory as extreme audiophiles who will pay thousands for turntables and speakers.
FTFY ;)
It's not even about nostalgia... 95% of the PC Engine library, 75% of the Neo-Geo's games, the entire Japanese Saturn library, and loads of titles on the Genesis and PS1 -- not to mention oodles of romhacks and fan translations -- are entirely new to me. More than anything I think I was too young to appreciate a lot of things at the time and bought into the bullshit that 'newer' meant 'better'. It don't.

Top Bottom