• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia 2 preview (new pics, video)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/523/523341p1.html

prince-of-persia-2-2004-20040615042607008.jpg

prince-of-persia-2-2004-20040615042607649.jpg

prince-of-persia-2-2004-20040615042609008.jpg

prince-of-persia-2-2004-20040615042608305.jpg

prince-of-persia-2-2004-20040615042609696.jpg

http://xfersf02.fileplanet.com/^544...3341/pop2_061504_01_wmvlow.wmv?position=front

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
IGN: What are the enemies that we are fighting this time around? Are they creatures infected by the Sands of Time or something else?

Yannis Mallat: Diversity. D-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y ! We are featuring a good bunch of different kind of enemies, because we want the player to gasp each time he encounters one. There is no "infected-by-the-Sands-of-Time" creatures, we have human-like enemies, we have fantasy enemies, we have big bosses, and more… all calling on gamers to utilize our newly implemented Free-Form Fighting system to define their own creative combat techniques in an effort to take them out.

Did I say we want diversity?

IGN: What new sand powers can we expect?

Yannis Mallat: Several new powerful attacks can be triggered if you have enough Sands of Time. All the sands powers will give the player a true sensation of power. For instance you will be able to slow down the Time of your enemies without slowing yours. Trust me, when you see how some of these guys attack…..it will make a big difference. Many other ingredients in the level-design will also force you to use it. For example, a wheel that blocks your way, turns too fast to be crossed, you slowdown the time and it becomes easier, this giving more depth to the experience.

In any case….I hope you enjoyed my sidestep of giving away the new powers.

IGN: Certain moves in Prince of Persia were cool, but pretty useless. Will things like swiping the sword while running along a wall be used more effectively this time around?

Yannis Mallat: Every move is effective as long as you master the Free-Form Fighting system. The player will build his own way of fighting, what we are providing him are all the necessary elements to support it, from the environment to the enemies. FFF is gameplay within gameplay. Think about it as a system that links every move the Prince has (and he'll have more than in the previous game) and melts the athletic moves with the fighting moves. SSX with 2 swords!

Improvisational Combat…..Creative Combat……call it what you will - all we know is that no 2 people will fight the same way.

What's going to be your signature style?

More info in the link

jett

D-Member
Completely new combat system? I'll beleive it when I see it. From what I saw during E3 the combat looked EXACTLY the same like in PoP. The same 5~ hit combo. The game looks really cool, though, even if it lost the ICO-ish glare.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep. A couple of new "finishing moves" aside, combat looks just as bad in PoP2 as it was in PoP1. Ugh. Well, at least some of the finishing moves can be done without hardly even engaging the foe. That'll be good.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Littleberu said:
You don't even know what art is in the first place.

i know that PoP has some terrible character designs. i mean FUGLY. oh, and obviously its all IMO

lordmrw

I feel somewhat ashamed that i haven't gotten the first Prince of Persia yet. Could've gotten it sunday with that store credit i had, but damn did i want F-Zero, and it was only $20 too.

suikodan

I'm going to visit Ubi Montreal tomorrow, they are presenting their E3 games and since I didn't have the chance to visit their booth, I'll be able to see them more personnally.

To be honest, I always skip the Ubi booth at E3 because I know I'll be able to go to Ubi Montreal a month later to check those games w/o 60K people waiting after me ;)

BuddyC

suikodan said:
I'm going to visit Ubi Montreal tomorrow, they are presenting their E3 games and since I didn't have the chance to visit their booth, I'll be able to see them more personnally.

To be honest, I always skip the Ubi booth at E3 because I know I'll be able to go to Ubi Montreal a month later to check those games w/o 60K people waiting after me ;)

The third day of E3 I was walking by Ubi's booth when I noticed they were showing PoP2. I just walked up to the kiosk, and a developer walked me through the demo. No wait, no lines, nothing. It was crazy!

Why do they have this obsession with combat anyway? I saw an interview where the creators of the next gen POP said they focused on combat because that's what everyone remembers from the original POP.

NO.

I remember difficult jumps, traps, and puzzles. Next gen POP had all those, but also a lot of mindless combat that was repetitive. I was hoping the sequel had less combat, not more. I didn't mind the combat too much until I replayed the game and found myself wishing I could play through the fun parts again without fighting 20 identical sand monsters in every room.

shpankey

not an idiot
The combat was the worst part of PoP. It's amazing that they decided to expand upon the worst part of the game. Just wow.

Top Bottom