• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Props Nintendo for a very unique reward system

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Nintendo has a reward system deserving of praise.

Every dollar spent in the Nintendo e shop earns gold points. Those gold points translate to real world currency. I can use those gold points on any digital game I wish. Pretty cool!

Mr.Phoenix

depends on how you wanna look at it I guess.

The question here is, would you rather get games discounted from $60 to $40... or even $50. Basically get an 18-30% discount, as a membership perk, or get 5 points for every dollar spent on select games and needing to rack up 100 points to get a $1 discount?

still think its cool?

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s just a permanent 1% (sometimes 2%) discount when buying digitally, which I guess is fine.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The majority of loyalty reward programs pay out the equivalent of 1-2% discount. Thats it. You might get lucky and it pays out 5% worth (like a credit card racking up travel pts), but thats a stretch.

depends on how you wanna look at it I guess.

The question here is, would you rather get games discounted from $60 to $40... or even $50. Basically get an 18-30% discount, as a membership perk, or get 5 points for every dollar spent on select games and needing to rack up 100 points to get a $1 discount?

still think is cool?
Exactly. I’d rather have the Nintendo tax removed, but since they never will I guess I’ll take the points.

I will ask here because the current Nintendo sales are lacking.
285 Gold points left $2.85
I have $22 bucks of store credit. I’m looking for a Nintendo game that is switch only
I need some suggestions.
I already own all the Mario and Zelda games. What else is a must have?

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It’s garb if you buy physical (which you should with Nintendo). Can’t tell you how many times I buy a newish game and it says points are no longer available to be claimed.

SCB3

Except they weirdly give more rewards for physical than they do digital, you'd think it'd be the other way around

cireza

Back in the days there was Club Nintendo and we would get nice goodies. It was much better than giving a few cents and making barely any sale at all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think they do it to incentivize more spending in the eShop. Someone sees they’ve got a little earned credit with an expiration date on it - they’re going to find something to use it on.

Rinse and repeat.

Proper sale prices on older games no longer selling much would be preferred, but they’ve got to keep that image where everything’s worth a premium.

StueyDuck

Banned
It is nice.

But no company does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. So I don't know if I'd give them props.

Power Pro

I honestly think it's kinda shitty, especially with how they handle earning points for physical purchases, as if our dollars have less value. You can go to the store, and buy a brand new copy of many Nintendo games, and not be entitled to any points because they only allow you to redeem them within a year of a game's release date. Sure seemed like bull shit when I bought a family member a Switch with a copy of Mario Kart 8 for Christmas in 2018, and they couldn't get points for it.

Also, the Wii U had a much better eshop benefit where you earned $5 off for every $50 you spent.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Every dollar spent in the Nintendo e shop earns gold points. Those gold points translate to real world currency. I can use those gold points on any digital game I wish. Pretty cool!

Wow. That’s deep man, thanks

MDSLKTR

But all of them do that? Even EGS and my weedman? Is this a case of Nintendo inventing sliced bread again?

Tangerine

It's nice when you buy a £84 voucher redeemable for 2 brand new Nintendo releases and you get 5% in gold points back so roughly £4. In my head I deduct that so it's 2 games for £80, £40 each which is great for digital new releases.

It just takes the £4 off automatically on next digital purchase.

Epic games introduced a similar thing relatively recently.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Nintendo Eating GIF

I have some gold and platinum points.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I like the gold points. Free, cheap games every now and then. But the real deal are the vouchers. "Saving" a whole bunch of money using them.

Švejk

Jokes on us though.. their 1st party games pretty much never go on sale or drop in price. Smash Bros has been a solid $60 for 7 years straight. Total horseshit.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like that the points are just there and available to use. You don't have to jump through hoops to redeem points on purchases. I bought Sega Ages Space Harrier in the last sale and it was just $1.08 because I had enough points and they were automatically applied. Platinum points are useless for me, though.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I like the psychical rewards for platinum points. Just paid £1.99 delivery for the 3 GBA posters, Mario Wonder keyring and pin badge and the Nintendo 2024 calendar.

I don’t even know how to accumulate the platinum points, I always just seem to have a shit load of them.

Goddamn. People have really forgotten Club Nintendo already? We used to get coins for every game purchased, then exchange them for free posters, 3DS pouches, etc. I still have several pouches and the Animal Crossing New Leaf posters are still framed in my home.

A tiny discount on digital purchases can lick my nuts in comparison.

Top Bottom