• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 owners, what position is your console standing in? horizontal? vertical?

kiryogi

Banned
Curious, I hear something about you can only choose one position from that point, since going vertical messes with the gears or something. But going vertical is also nice depending on a space situation. (I'm trying to figure this out so I'll know if I need to order a stand or not.)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't know whether moving the position really messes with it, but I can tell you not to buy a stand. It's a waste of money. They sell horizontal and vertical stands and both are giant wastes of money.

Mine is vertical, by the way.

Mine's horizontal. I've heard too many reports of problems with PS2s going vert. And yeah, the stand is pretty much a waste of money unless you're in earthquake country.

i had mine horizontal for like the first 6 months, then switched it to vertical (to give the GC a little more room to breathe) and haven't had any problems. I don't have a stand either. It stands perfectly fine on its own without wobbling or any shit.

Nos_G

I have mine vertical and I do have a vert. stand for stability... (especially when an HDD is installed in the PS2 - top heavy)

Meanwhile.. having the horiz stand is just a waste of money.

The gears don't get any extra stress in vertical mode because the laser assembly just goes right to left while reading discs instead of up and down... (did that make sense?)

Ashitaka

Vertical from launch day for mine. I was getting the DREs about three months ago, but I sent it back in to Sony and they fixed it.

I kept mine vertical for 18 months or so, but I had to turn it horizontal because it started to have problems with some games. Weird noises and discs that didn't boot etc.

Ronabo

Mine is horizontal, with the face plate ripped off so I can play shitty Japanese PS2 games and laugh at them.

Such as this
CRAP

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
inbetween.

It's in storage. Haven't used it in months.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My PS2 has been in the horizontal position since December 2001.

signet

horizontal even have the Sony horizontal stand, not that I paid for it some guy left it at the store I work at and I took it home.

Horizontal. Buy a stand if you are going verticle. It only takes that one time to teach you that a PS2 falling over will eat whatever game or DVD you are playing at the time.

Top Bottom