• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Really? You held out so long, what's another 6 months? I traded mine in a month or so with the cash earmarked for PS5 Pro.
So you'll be without a gaming console for 6 months? I would have probably waited a few months, around 2 months before its anticipated date pehraps. I was about to get a PS5 but just decided to wait for the Pro. I got a PC though so it's not much of a problem.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Motion blur is hot garbage and everyone I know who games on PC turns that shit off along with the other trash post-processing effects like Chromatic Aberration, Film Grain, and Lens Flare.
I game on PC and I leave those things on, cuz I’m not a cranky blind old man hahaha

ChiefDada

Gold Member
So you'll be without a gaming console for 6 months? I would have probably waited a few months, around 2 months before its anticipated date pehraps. I was about to get a PS5 but just decided to wait for the Pro. I got a PC though so it's not much of a problem.

Yeah man I feel like it's worth the wait to play these games in the absolute best quality a console can offer. I'm going tonbe in console gaming nirvana in 6 months.

Motion blur is hot garbage and everyone I know who games on PC turns that shit off along with the other trash post-processing effects like Chromatic Aberration, Film Grain, and Lens Flare.

posts brian GIF

Ashamam

eah man I feel like it's worth the wait to play these games in the absolute best quality a console can offer. I'm going tonbe in console gaming nirvana in 6 months.
Yeah I'm basically not buying anything at the moment to build up a backlog of games that will benefit from a Pro. As a bonus they will be cheaper by then as well.

S0ULZB0URNE

It's the percentage performance loss moving from 1440p to 4K. So if it's 0% then you lose no performance, while if it's 33.3%, you lose a third of the performance etc.

You originally said that the performance "dies" at higher resolutions with RDNA 2 and that this "isn’t in line with other architectures". My point is that RDNA 2 scales similarly to RDNA 1 and Turing as per the benchmark data I presented. So it's not as if RDNA 2 went backwards in any way. Rather Ampere improved Nvidia's performance scaling vs Turing and this put AMD in a worse competitive situation. So I am not trying to deny that AMD scaling vs. Ampere was worse than RDNA 1's scaling vs. Turing. I am saying this was not a failure of RDNA 2, unless you think every advancement your competitor makes that you don't is a "failure".

And with RDNA 3, based on the benchmark data, we seem to have a situation where the 7900 XTX achieves scaling parity with Ada/Ampere, the 7900 XT is between Ada/Ampere and RDNA 2, and the 7800 XT is in line with RDNA 2. (Check out the below meta review where we see the 6800 XT hold its ground against the 7800 XT)

)

The comparison is not between the 2080 Ti and the 5700 XT but between RDNA 2 and RDNA 1/Turing. Now it's fair to object that RDNA 1 was only used in the 5700 XT which is midrange card, so not designed for 4K. But at 1080p you will be CPU limited on RDNA 2, so that's not ideal either. If we go back to the Radeon VII which has a lot more bandwidth, we still see it behind RDNA 2 in terms of scaling.

Yes, because Ampere scales better than RDNA 2 and Turing.

Higher resolutions are less CPU dependent.
This Pro should focus on higher resolutions.

Bojji

Higher resolutions are less CPU dependent.
This Pro should focus on higher resolutions.

Except it's literally aiming to render games in 1080p (then reconstructed to 4k)...

I don't know what Jay said in this video but if game is CPU limited to (for example) 55FPS in 1440p it will also be limited to that FPS in 1080p/720p etc. In 4K you are more likely to be GPU limited so if your GPU is not fast enough it might be not able to get to that (55FPS) limit - but with enough GPU horsepower you will still be CPU limited in 4K, 8K and so on...

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Except it's literally aiming to render games in 1080p (then reconstructed to 4k)...

I don't know what Jay said in this video but if game is CPU limited to (for example) 55FPS in 1440p it will also be limited to that FPS in 1080p/720p etc. In 4K you are more likely to be GPU limited so if your GPU is not fast enough it might be not able to get to that (55FPS) limit - but with enough GPU horsepower you will still be CPU limited in 4K, 8K and so on...
It’s JayzTwoCents. Just ignore it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

No it isn't.

A 33.5TF custom gpu isn't going to be GPU limited running games made for a 10.3TF PS5 at higher resolutions.

Top Bottom