• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Will Be R-Rated

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

Holy crap, this is gonna be amazingly good, or extremely fucked up. Either way, I'm buying a ticket for opening night.
: After Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, and Drew Pearce. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I’m hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition. Most mega budget tent poles restrict the film to a PG-13 rating in an effort to maximize the audience. That was the reason that Guillermo Del Toro’s $150 million At The Mountains of Madness didn’t go forward at Universal, even though Tom Cruise was ready to star. The exception to this rule was Fox’s Deadpool, but that film started out with modest ambitions before it caught on and became the biggest R rated film ever.

That rating was crucially important to Tarantino, who hopes to direct this Star Trek and who has helmed R rated films his entire career. Imagine how this could open storytelling lanes, or even what the banter on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise might be, if you conjure up memories of the conversations between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the banter at the diner between robbers before the heist gone wrong that triggered the action in Reservoir Dogs.

Blam

Wow this is gonna be something else won't it. R-Rated Star Trek is something I never thought I'd see.

bevishead

Neo Member
Please no pointless nudity. How about no nudity at all :). Also does swearing even exist in star trek's future earth?

MGHA

Please no pointless nudity. How about no nudity at all :). Also does swearing even exist in star trek's future earth?

Tarantino has never shown pointless nudity. Only nudity I even remember in from Django Unchained, and it was needed.

Faynwulf

The only thing I take away from this is that I'm still really mad that At the Mountains of Madness never got made.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Hmmmmmm

I dont know..

Im sure I will watch it and enjoy it.

But for me TNG is basicly star trek holy grail.

natjjohn

Sounds amazing. Haven’t watched any of the newer star treks but would definitely watch this with Tarantino at the helm.

Z3M0G

The current Star Trek TV show is R rated... they dropped some awkward F bombs in one scene. Other than that just a bit of gore in another episode. Edit: Oh, I forgot, we saw Klingon female boobs last episode.

If they do this, I hope he is doing some kind of side-story... I don't want the Abrams cast suddenly dropped into an R-rated story where they would start swearing out of character... unless it simply deals with a very R-rated topic they would normally keep away from...?

llien

Like Tarantino, dislike JJA.

Sounds so weird.

I wonder if it would make science part of this SciFi any worse.

Well, after Discovery, they can hardly do worse. I don't think Tarantino's a good fit, but at least there's a good chance it'll be its own thing, less reliance on the "I clapped" phenomenon.

I don't think rating was the reason last few movies were trash but Tarantino being involved certainly gives hope for much needed improvement.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
As if nuTrek needed to be any more violence oriented.

But cast Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Sybok and I’m in.

LordRaptor

What the...?

I don't even have a gif to express my reaction properly...

dCVG6EP.gif

or

tcno6.gif

Top Bottom