• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recently i watched Interstellar. yeah this is the greatest science fiction movie ever made right?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Nah. It's sci-fi... just very heavy on the 'fi' bit. It's too damned full of sci-fi tropes to not be considered part of that genre. In many ways it defined what 'sci-fi' is the culture and audience. It's fashionable to try and distance it, because of how awful the whole thing has become, and because it steers away from 'hard' sci-fi as much as possible. But it's as much sci-fi as any other movie of the genre. The term is very broad. You're right to say that it includes many fantasy tropes as well, but that was kind of Lucas's brilliance. He took those tropes and applied them in a fresh, exciting new way.

Personally for me the best sci-fi movie is a toss up between Blade Runner (noir detective story) and Alien (ghost house horror), but I can't deny that Star Wars is culturally at the top of the heap.
I guess my thought is if you changed a couple things about Star Wars and made it like a Pirates of the Caribbean swashbuckling fantasy, not much in the narrative is going to change…meanwhile a movie like 2001 is completely driven by the question of what does an artificial intelligence do when it has contradicting orders? Or Blade Runner, which source material’s title is “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”

Star Wars is only really sci fi because it’s set in space with pew pew lasers, but because you could change all that and hardly anything would change plot-wise, it’s almost just window dressing on the classic fantasy hero’s journey

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Nah. It's sci-fi... just very heavy on the 'fi' bit. It's too damned full of sci-fi tropes to not be considered part of that genre. In many ways it defined what 'sci-fi' is the culture and audience. It's fashionable to try and distance it, because of how awful the whole thing has become, and because it steers away from 'hard' sci-fi as much as possible. But it's as much sci-fi as any other movie of the genre. The term is very broad. You're right to say that it includes many fantasy tropes as well, but that was kind of Lucas's brilliance. He took those tropes and applied them in a fresh, exciting new way.

Personally for me the best sci-fi movie is a toss up between Blade Runner (noir detective story) and Alien (ghost house horror), but I can't deny that Star Wars is culturally at the top of the heap.
Never really thought of it like that Funk. Nicely worded and agree with your assessment.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Star Wars is only really sci fi because it’s set in space with pew pew lasers, but because you could change all that and hardly anything would change plot-wise, it’s almost just window dressing on the classic fantasy hero’s journey

Absolutely right... but it's the pew pew lasers, space battles, and laser swords that make it sci-fi... albeit admittedly pretty shallow sci-fi, which is why it's never been my personal favourite - even of Lucas's work. He made one perfect movie. That's called Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think the first act is slow. The music is Stellar. But it isn't Star Wars or Flash Gordon, or Blade Runner, or Black Hole. It is an excellent movie that deals with relationships, loss, and time.

Vyse

Gold Member
I think the first act is slow. The music is Stellar. But it isn't Star Wars or Flash Gordon, or Blade Runner, or Black Hole. It is an excellent movie that deals with relationships, loss, and time.
Aging myself a bit, but I remember seeing Flash Gordon in the movies. Soundtrack was amazing. Queen was killing it back then. Let’s not forget Highlander. There can be only one.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I get my "science fiction" fix elsewhere but..

It's up there. Great acting, great writing, great cinematography, great score. And the science holds up very well relative to other science fiction out there.

Fair enough.

With that said, our past is more SciFi then any movie by far imho.

Happy you loved it OP!

8bitpill

giphy.gif

when i first saw it i thought they went to hard on the farming part of it. i remember in the first original script there was a bit of a story about some kind of rivalry with china. wish they kept that

Toons

I guess my thought is if you changed a couple things about Star Wars and made it like a Pirates of the Caribbean swashbuckling fantasy, not much in the narrative is going to change…meanwhile a movie like 2001 is completely driven by the question of what does an artificial intelligence do when it has contradicting orders? Or Blade Runner, which source material’s title is “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”

Star wars is science fantasy space opera. Not sci fi.

Very clear mysticsm and just as many fantasy tropes as sci fi ones. If not more. Its Arthurian legend and knights tales with lasers.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Excellent movie. Love the music and cinematics, especially the "warp" scene and "wave" scene. Also, the "4th Dimension" scene just boggles the mind. Some of my favorite sci-fi flicks:

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Bladerunner: 2049
Akira (1988)
The Time Machine (1960)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Predator (1987)
District 9
Blade Runner
12 Monkeys
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
The Abyss
Starship Troopers
Sunshine
Metropolis (1927)
War of the Worlds (1953)
War of the Worlds (2005)
The Matrix

Forbidden Planet

Hugare

Not even Nolan's best sci-fi

Tom Hardy Inception GIF

joseph gordon levitt inception GIF

It's good. But too many "cringe" stuff about love being the answer and etc.

Loved the father/daughter relationship. Visuals/soundtrack were also fantastic.

But Inception is the best movie all around

Gattaca+poster-960w.jpg

Here's my hot take. Gattaca is a better Nolan sci-fi film that is not made by Nolan.

Denzel Washington Movie GIF

My favorite movie of all time

I would also recommend Children of Men

VERY underrated

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I just watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It was pretty great. I think for a sci-fi fan it is a must watch movie for the visuals and score alone.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So you never watched Paul Verhoeven or District 9 with my hubb I mean also Primer, 2001, Blade runner etc

I'm such a dork 🙈🙈🙈

xxx PM's are open 🙈💋

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Not the greatest of all time by any means, but I have a sentimental affection for it. Because while it's doesn't 100% stick the landing on its scientific concepts and intended higher themes, it does come together in a way that can appeal to anyone... and there's a value to that kind of well-polished but accessible scifi which respects all audiences without condescending to them.

Compare that to some of my actual top list in Scifi like 2001 or Solaris (the original), which appeal to a tiny subset of genre fans like me, and it's a notable difference.

Top Bottom