• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redbull: Yoshinori Ono on the Evolving Street Fighter Scene

Tripon

Anne was able to interview Ono at Red Bull Battle Grounds, the North American finals for the Capcom Pro Tour. Here are some quotes:

“In terms of game modes, in the beginning we all know that we didn’t put out a complete product, in a way that is a learning experience.” Ono saying in an interview at Red Bull Battle Grounds, acknowledging the rough start Street Fighter V endured earlier this year. “We try to progress forward and listen to the fans more, and see what they want and continue adding new modes and things to the game. What that content will be, we don’t know, but we’ll continue to get feedback from the users on what they are wanting.”

“Being in an era where I can get that feedback is a very good time. The drawback to this is I also hear a lot of negative feedback,” he laughs.

Even with the new level of increased scrutiny, balance issues still slip through the cracks. Techniques that seem like they may have been unintended are looking to be really strong right now. Many top players have pointed out specific ones as being problematic. Ono does a small hand motion to mimic Chun Li’s aerial Lightning Legs on the subject. “That kind of thing has been used all throughout Street Fighter’s history. In the original SF comboing wasn’t built in, but people figured out how to use it.” [this graph requires a lot of clarity]

These aren’t the only changes to happen, as Street Fighter is now expected to live on through the competitive audience. “So yesterday, I had a talk with the director of our esports team while eating oysters,” Ono tells us. “We’re thinking about the future of the tour too. CPT has been around for 3 years now, and if you compare that to a child, they wouldn’t even be in elementary school yet!” In a more level tone, he follows up with, “Over the next couple years, what we want to do is make sure the Capcom Pro Tour can stand alone on its own. We’re not quite there yet.”

There is no shying away from the reality that Capcom Pro Tour is still very much a new concept for Capcom, and right now the company is still learning how to build and evolve it.
Ono, as he always seems to be, is optimistic.“Who knows though? We might have some news for you if you make it to Capcom Cup.”

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esport...-ono-street-fighter-5-interview-cpt-na-finals

"Street Fighter is now expected to live on through the competitive audience"

So it may as well be dead. If it didn't work at launch why would it work now?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I was coming in to point that out as well. It seems like Capcom learned nothing from the launch fiasco.

Neoxon

I was coming in to point that out as well. It seems like Capcom learned nothing from the launch fiasco.
Remember the context of the interview, they're talking about SFV as an eSport. They aren't really gonna be talking about casual play at a CPT tournament.

Top Bottom