• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGB or S-VIDEO?

neptunes

RGB or S-VIDEO?

I don't have an HDVT but my LG CRT TV offeres the RED-BLUE-GREEN cables at the back.
so which is my safest bet?

DU-34FC50_lge.jpg

it's 32" and I'm not really sure if it's hdtv ready or not :(

Use the Componeant video cables (especially if the TV supports progressive scan). The jump between S-Vid and Componeant isn't much if you're not using Prog Scan but it's still there.

neptunes

I don't even know if my TV has progressive scan...:(

all I can tell you is that it's fairly new.

I should read the manual. Is there away to tell if it supports progressive scan or if t's HDTV ready without reading the manual?

I want my Metroid Prime to look good.

Hook it up with componeant video cables, hold B while the GameCube boots up. If the picture displays properly your TV supports Progressive Scan. If not, then it doesn't. Remember, it only works with componeant video cables (RGB).

neptunes

Thanks alot!

I'll go buy some during the week

::YIKES::

component cables aren't cheap :(

just a question, does it matter if your TV is HDTV ready or not?

Well if your TV is HD ready then there is a higher chance it will support progressive scan. What model TV is that one you have?

Here's a tip: If you use Component make sure you turn your TVs color setting all the way up. That way you'll take full advantage of your Component colors. Although I must warn you, using anything below Component for your TV or consoles with all the colors turned all the way up will make them look strange.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
neptunes said:
a bit pricey though.

Uhh, you just bought a really nice TV that may or may not be HDTV ready and you're complaining about the cost of components to finally take advantage of that .... think about that.

Culex

Banned
neptunes said:
but if a tv accepts RGB cables then it has to be hdtv ready no?

Nope. My older retired Sharp flatscreen had component input on the back, but didn't have progressive scan support.

teiresias

He also needs to make sure his Gamecube actually has the digital output jack since they've removed it right? I've always been confused about how Gamecube handles regular NTSC component versus progressive scan component.

Dyne

teiresias said:
He also needs to make sure his Gamecube actually has the digital output jack since they've removed it right? I've always been confused about how Gamecube handles regular NTSC component versus progressive scan component.

I thought that was only for newer models in Japan.

Nintendo removed the digital out to lower manfacturing costs. The new models still support componenat, it just plugs into the standard multi-out instead of the digital-out.

teiresias

Yeah, but without the digital port the component cable only supports regular interlaced resolutions and can't output progressive scan, right?

It sucks, because I'm planning to buy a GC in a few weeks when I get some bills sorted out (and build up my checking account again), but I'm pissed that I'll probably end up with one without a digital out, it's so stupid.

teiresias said:
Yeah, but without the digital port the component cable only supports regular interlaced resolutions and can't output progressive scan, right?

It sucks, because I'm planning to buy a GC in a few weeks when I get some bills sorted out (and build up my checking account again), but I'm pissed that I'll probably end up with one without a digital out, it's so stupid.

Buy a Platnium one. They aren't in production and will be 100% certain to have the digital out. And I'm not sure but I think the revision is only on the Japanese models.

teiresias

Well, I was planning to buy the Costco bundle which, according to my cursory glances at all the ones I saw, only includes the Indigo GC, but it comes with two controllers and a memory card.

Hari

Banned
neptunes said:
I don't have an HDVT but my LG CRT TV offeres the RED-BLUE-GREEN cables at the back.
so which is my safest bet?

DU-34FC50_lge.jpg

it's 32" and I'm not really sure if it's hdtv ready or not :(

What is the model number of the TV? (Have a look at the back for a number or better yet have a look at the manual cover.)

Now going by the picture you have posted that TV does in-fact support progressive input (480p) and HDTV input (1080i). But, we need to know the model number of the TV you have just to make sure it is the same TV as the one on the website.

Here is a link to the specs of the TV at the LG website.

http://www.lge.com/catalog/prodmode...rentId=ROOT&modelCategoryId=CTG1000447&page=#

StrikerObi said:
Nintendo removed the digital out to lower manfacturing costs. The new models still support componenat, it just plugs into the standard multi-out instead of the digital-out.
maybe i have a bad memory, but didn't they already shoot this theory down and say the new cubes won't have component out period?

neptunes

My TV has

Advanced Scan Velocity Modulation

Dynamically varies the scanning speed of the picture tube's electron beam gun to create clear, well-defined edges for the sharpest possible picture. Advanced version allows 3 settings (High/Low/Off).

Yikes, turn off that horrid Scan Velocity Modulation. It seriously degrades the picture with artificial edge halos.

Also, is this a joke?:

Synbios459 said:
Here's a tip: If you use Component make sure you turn your TVs color setting all the way up. That way you'll take full advantage of your Component colors.

Yeah, ummm, don't do that.

neptunes

thanks for telling me ;)

my TV also has DCTI/DLTI

The Digital Chrominance Transient Improvement and Digital Luminance Transient Improvement processing devices respectively enhance the horizontal colour signals for greater colour clarity and horizontal brightness signals for higher brightness both working towards generating a finer, crisper and more realistic picture on screen.

I don't even know what the hell that does.

Erm, I dunno what they actually do to the picture technically, but the luminance enhancement probably raises the contrast level, which is another thing you don't want.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Yikes, turn off that horrid Scan Velocity Modulation. It seriously degrades the picture with artificial edge halos.<<<

There are a lot of side-effects, but the primary defect is that bright picture areas are shrunk, and dark picture areas are expanded, causing geometric distortion. Subjectively speaking, I think that it makes almost everything look like it's made out of plastic.

Sysgen

teiresias said:

I've been looking into this issue becuase I am interested in a GC, so I called Nintendo. The rep said if I got a model without the port to call and "they would take care of it".

Teddman

The Faceless Master said:
maybe i have a bad memory, but didn't they already shoot this theory down and say the new cubes won't have component out period?
Yes. New Cubes will not support component in any way, shape, or form.

Teddman said:
Yes. New Cubes will not support component in any way, shape, or form.

I swear I read that stuff about moving the comp cables over to the multi-out it in the report. Maybe I'm wrong but I never heard anyone "shoot down" this "rumor."

Teddman

Well, now you have! :)

Nintendo has determined that less than 1% of GameCube users have employed the output jack being removed in the new model. Because the hardware is selling at such a low pricepoint, the company decided to cut its manufacturing cost by removing this feature. Although we are not sure about the existence of a new component cable apparently planned for release in Japan, Nintendo of America has no plans for such a cable. Instead, the company will create a service whereby consumers who buy the new model may trade it in for the old model, if they desire the component video feature. The actual component cables must still be purchased separately (directly from Nintendo, as always). It is possible that this is the plan for Japan as well, and that the specifics were lost in our crude translation.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5150

Also see:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp

Jumpman

StrikerObi, for shame, confirmation from the very website you work for, and you didn't know about it.

I was interested in getting a second Gamecube soon, and it sure as hell better have progessive scan abilities. I was looking to get platinum so hopefully your right about all of those models retaining the digital out.

Sysgen

Question for those with widescreen TVs. I have a 34" WS. I noticed alot of GC games do not support widescreen so is it worth it to get component. I'm worried that I'm going to have to stretch the screen rendering the game fugly or all stretched out. If I don't stretch then I would be playing on a very narrow screen with the dreaded black bars. The alternative is to go SVideo on my regular 31" Mitsubishi. Thoughts?

Top Bottom