• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Dark Souls 3 (frak Champion Gundyr)

UrbanRats

Old Demon King was one of the hardest as well, probably because I did that area before Irithyll. He had a surprisingly big moveset and a lot of answers on my melee approach.
This boss killed me like 5 times, because of the lock on that kept fucking up, absolutely horrible le boss fight.

KHlover

Banned
I guess I am the only one to consider Abyss Watchers the hardest.

Abyss Watchers can be parried, backstabbed and staggered. Phase one can be beaten by running away until the 3rd Watcher appears and you can sneak some cheap backstabs in. Of course that's the lame way, but it's possible. In phase two you can just walk circles around him at medium distance until he does his big combo that ends with him leaping into the air. Upon landing backstab him and then charge R2 as he stands up. Roll away and repeat until dead.

I'm probably a bit biased though, I think I've spent quite literally over ten hours of my first playthrough just being a sunbro at this boss fight. That music... :O

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Never had a problem with Champion Gundyr. I honestly don't know why people struggle so much. His attacks are really really telegraphed. I never used the parrying strategy either (didn't know you could parry him at the time and I still don't really bother if I fight him now).
I guess I am the only one to consider Abyss Watchers the hardest.
Not the very hardest, but it was my first real obstacle in my first playthrough. I went to Farron Keep before doing the Cathedral and was underlevelled with only a +4 uchi, and I really struggled, died several times.

The DLC final boss is the hardest overall though. Holy shit. Outside of that, I vote L&L, The Nameless King, Soul of Cinders and Abyss Watchers.

Parry the Champ and use a (buffed) Dragonslayer Greatshield in the Nameless King, Twin Princes and Soul of Cinder fights. Total easy mode.
Yeah, I bet a greatshield trivializes a lot of fights. I haven't tried a strength build yet. Reminds me of Sir Alonne in DS2. I remember struggling so hard against him (had no shield or just a small shield for the situational parries), but he was a cakewalk when I tried him on my strength build with a greatshield.

Negaduck

Champ bodied me a ton too, eventually I said Fuck it and learned to parry, and man nothing feels better than just walking up and showing him who's in control.

I got so lucky against pontiff. I beat him first encounter with parries.

Parries are so sick.

sublimit

Banned
For me Champion Gundyr was a pussy compared to Nameless King.NK is the only boss in the Bloodborne/Souls series that made me gave up beating on my own. The camera in the first part was simply frustrating.

Champ wrecked me until I got used to that kick. Might have been under leveled though

Relating him to Nameless King. If you can get CG down pat not sure why NK should be troublesome. His attacks are in slow motion in comparison

Zetta

Champion Gundyr made me upgrade a Parry shield and change the way I played the game. No boss in the Dark Souls series made me change how I played but this SOB was just tearing my ass up. I have a love/hate thing with it though since aside from the Abyss Watchers fight this is my favorite fight.

.Anema

I helped more than 100 random people to kill the Champion, the first time I killed him in my second chance. I love that fight.
Also, Nameless King it's the hardest for me, I still cant read him, damn!!!

KarmaCow

I helped more than 100 random people to kill the Champion, the first time I killed him in my second chance. I love that fight.
Also, Nameless King it's the hardest for me, I still cant read him, damn!!!

What I did for that fight was back up to bait him into using his flying lunge attack. He's vulnerable for such a long time after that move.

.Anema

What I did for that fight was back up to bait him into using his flying lunge attack. He's vulnerable for such a long time after that move.

Don't know bro, I tried everything and I still have a bad time with him, its a hell. My nephew (hes twelve years old) kills him without any problem, but me, 30 years old... Its a nightmare. LOL

Graciaus

This boss I never found difficult. I beat him twice both on the first try. Now the princes? Took me ages to beat both times.

I didn't have too much trouble with any DS3 boss; the fight that gave me the most trouble was the Crystal Sage. I don't know what I was doing wrong there, but I kept getting staggered and killed. It didn't really feel challenging though; more like I was just doing something wrong. The Dancer was definitely the hardest fight that felt like I was losing because I wasn't good enough.

I beat Champion Gundyr and the Nameless King on my first try, but I had prepared for the Nameless King and specced my character out for the fight (upgraded Knight Lothric Shield, Thunder Stoneplate Ring, lightning resist armor, etc.).

Deacons of the Deep and the Dragonslayer Armor took me a few tries each.

I beat the Twin Princes with a real person's help. I summoned an AI helper for Pontiff Sulyvahn, Soul of Cinder, and Old Demon King, but mainly for quest/equipment set purposes. I don't think they served too much help beyond distraction.

Champion Gundyr is definitely my favorite boss in the game, though. Super fun to fight with how fast and aggressive he is.

Dancer is not hard at all. I beat her on my second try. All I did was circle behind her every time she tried to do her twirl attack and hacked at her butt. I don't get why most people think she's difficult.

Kinsei

Banned
I just fought the Old Demon King and Champion Gundyr, they were both total pushovers. I get that I was way overlevelled both in terms of soul level and gear (Level 5 Yhorm's Great Machete) for ODK since I was clearly meant to find it m first time through the Catacombs so it was obviously going to be super easy. Champ on the other hand was near the end of the game, so it should have been a lot harder than it was. He has way too little health.

Zetta

personally, i find the watchers to be easy

I didn't find Watcher difficult either but something about that fight just made me happy. That was the fight that just had me going "yeah this is Dark Souls and I love it", plus those fire sword attacks looked amazing.

Pretty cool this thread came up, as Im in the middle of playing it. Beat Champion Grundyr yesterday. He. Was. Hard. With that said, so far the Watchers have been the hardest for me.

Kind of surprised Pontiff Sulyvahn was brought up as hard. I dont consider myself "good" at these soul games (only beat Bloodborne), but just beat him on my third try, which is really good for me.

I didn't run into very much trouble in DS3.
Defeated almost every boss in three tries or less. Champion Gundyr was one that I got on the first attempt.

Granted, I haven't fought Nameless King or the DLC bosses though. I'm working through a ton of games right now so it's impossible to find the time to go back.

Champ is the best fight in the game, Princes are cool but I never beat them. At a certain point it gets annoying when the first mistake you make in the fight always ends up being the last (which sure, "get gud" and all but ehh). It's a pretty fucking long fight too

They should rename Nameless King to Useless Camera. Really though, not a fun fight at all, didn't even bother

After Bloodborne absolutely fucking killing it with every boss in the game besides the dumb blue aliens DS3 was a huge let down. Environmental and build varieties are about the only things it really has over BB

Krabboss

I don't recall ever dying to champion Gundyr. There's other bosses in the game which were a lot more difficult for me. That could just be down to differences in builds though.

Top Bottom