• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian operatives used Facebook to exploit divisions over black activism and muslims

Brilliant, honestly.

Have the country tear itself apart by revealing what lies underneath, without sending a single troop or missile.

Unfortunate that it's so easy, but clearly a wise way to aim your efforts.

There are enough cases the Russians could study with the color revolutions going on at their border.
Must have been a pretty big wake up call in how effective information warfare could be.

Maxim726X

There are enough cases the Russians could study with the color revolutions going on at their border.
Must have been a pretty big wake up call in how effective information warfare could be.

It will work again in 2018. And 2020.

It makes it easier to spread when Fox News parrots all of that drivel to their mindless base. They work together symbiotically, which I'm sure Russian operatives counted on.

Zuckerberg is a jerk but I still think the bigger problem is credulous-ass Middle Americans believing literally any bullshit you tell them if it fits their worldview of "minorities are trouble and hillary clinton is satan"

I've never bought that Fox News and russian spy-bots are diabolical masters of propaganda, it's that they're just playing the easiest crowd in the world

Sadly this isn't reserved to people who treat Fox News like gospel, you see it with mroons who follow clowns like Joy Reid who call bills dead when they can't even follow Senate rules while watching c-span, or the morons who were saying "Trump arrest imminent!" all summer while morons ate it up, or the morons who saw any thing less than "YAAS QUEEN" as goose stepping/flying a Nazi flag etc.

It's an American problem, we are largely fucking morons, it's just that the biggest morons of the biggest ethnic group largely congregate one way.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:
I watched a video sometime back from an old high ranking soviet defect, they really wanted to take generations to have the US fall apart. I think there were like 4-5 steps or whatever, but the main point was to divide the country and have it fall.

Yuri Bezmenov.

Videos of his lectures are disturbing to watch as they seem to predict what's happening now. Even though the KGB doesn't exist.

Here's one:

https://youtu.be/ypsAZcpMLNw

Zolo

Sadly this isn't reserved to people who treat Fox News like gospel, you see it with mroons who follow clowns like Joy Reid who call bills dead when they can't even follow Senate rules while watching c-span, or the morons who were saying "Trump arrest imminent!" all summer while morons ate it up, or the morons who saw any thing less than "YAAS QUEEN" as goose stepping/flying a Nazi flag etc.

It's an American problem, we are largely fucking morons, it's just that the biggest morons of the biggest ethnic group largely congregate one way.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say it's more likely a human problem in general that's solved more with critical-thinking and researching ability.

I feel like a fucking coward for not wanting to delete my facebook, but it's increasingly clear that it's the right thing to do.

I feel this about my Twitter account every day.

If it weren't for that my site's coworkers use FB to communicate, I'd be heavily considering this as well. Shit sucks.

It will work again in 2018. And 2020.

It makes it easier to spread when Fox News parrots all of that drivel to their mindless base. They work together symbiotically, which I'm sure Russian operatives counted on.

I wouldn't be surprised Russia probably expected Fox and others to blow this up to get the ratings. Everything for money that is how most of the humans are wired.

Davide

"Watts said such efforts were most likely to have been effective in Midwestern swing states such as Wisconsin and Michigan, where Democratic primary rival Sen. Bernie Sanders had beaten Clinton. Watts said the disinformation pushed by the Russians included messages designed to reinforce the idea that Sanders had been mistreated by the Democratic Party and that his supporters shouldn’t bother to vote during the general election in November."

Maxim726X

I wouldn't be surprised Russia probably expected Fox and others to blow this up to get the ratings. Everything for money that is how most of the humans are wired.

Absolutely, they had to. Where do you think these narratives originated from?

The right and Fox News started the fire... Russia merely fanned it. Now, Fox is spreading it even further.

The almighty dollar. Of course, it wouldn't be this easy if people didn't already secretly believe this drivel to begin with.

Brilliant, honestly.

Have the country tear itself apart by revealing what lies underneath, without sending a single troop or missile.

Unfortunate that it's so easy, but clearly a wise way to aim your efforts.

It's not brilliant. It's an episode of pokemon. The yojimbo strategy of achieving your goals by having two opposing factions attack each other by inflaming them and destroying each other is an old tactic.

Sounds like some conservative media outlets to be honest. Facebook deserves criticism over this, but it isn't isolated to Russian bots and ad money.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say it's more likely a human problem in general that's solved more with critical-thinking and researching ability.

On the human problem - yes, but worse with Americans due to only having two political parties that can reasonably win 99% of elections. (aka depending on your area if you aren't politically active there is no reason to dive deeper since you are always red or blue).

As far as the regular American getting better at critical thinking/researching? HAHAHAHA NOT HAPPENING for a long long long long time.

collige

Banned
Honestly, the best solution I can think for all of this is for Facebook to ban political ads as a whole, but that will almost certainly never happen.

Chumpion

Who could have guessed that decades of anti-intellectualism and promoting backward religious views would lead to a population unable to think for themselves.

Not

Banned
Man, I keep reimagining myself back in November 2016, walking into the voting booth with my head held high, turning in my ballot for Clinton and Harris a week in advance

Boy, I was thinking, thank goodness for our unassailable democracy or we'd really be in some shit

Top Bottom