• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung ended their steam link app today

SantaC

Samsung removed all steam link apps on all their tvs today. I bought my samsung tvs just because they had their own app for it which worked very well. I ran my games in 4K @ 60 fps no lag at all.

So today i had to order two nvidia shields (one for bedroom and one for living room) in order to comtinue my streaming from my PC.

Really shameful behavior by samsung and i will never buy another tv from them again with their shitty tizen os.

86KM9iW.jpg

Last edited:

acm2000

Last edited:

SantaC

Samsung removed from my TV buying list. Never buying another samsung tv again in my lifetime.
My current one has a nice picture but it fails in everything a display device should be able to do in 2019.
Well said. They heavily advertised steam link app for their tvs. I feel cheated.

Drew1440

Not sure how Tizen works but if the app remains installed on the set, shouldn't it still work?
One of the reasons I prefer Android TVs for sideloading, only problem is that Google launcher that keeps pushing some crappy Disney/Marvel show

Ev1L AuRoN

I have a budget Samsung TV and the app never worked well for me, even when my PC and TV were hard-wired. When I want to stream games for it I connect my laptop and launch remote play through the steam client.

Last edited:

SantaC

Not sure how Tizen works but if the app remains installed on the set, shouldn't it still work?
One of the reasons I prefer Android TVs for sideloading, only problem is that Google launcher that keeps pushing some crappy Disney/Marvel show
I turned off auto update om samsung app store but they still managed to uninstall it from my tv...

never connect your tv to the internet, lmao
I just hdmi my pc into the tv, will never do otherwise.
I guess I wont die on the molehill of having a smartphone, because I need 2fa for work and the camera is convenient
but tv connected to internet is straight 1984 shit. literally, even though smartphones take it to a greater extreme than the novel does.
plus, the good times are increasingly behind us and the bad times increasingly ahead :)

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Loving and more and more this digital futures where every service is ultra ephemeral and you just shut up your mouth.

/s

Last edited:

SantaC

This is why I refuse to use any of my TV's in-built apps for anything. It's better to use a separate device that you have full control of.
yes, but three things:

1. Samsung advertised this app when you bought their tvs.
2. The app worked very well still today. No reason to remove it.
3. Buying a separate device that works just as well is atleast 150-200 euro (or dollars)

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is why I refuse to use any of my TV's in-built apps for anything. It's better to use a separate device that you have full control of.
I'll use it for convenience, but always have another device attached. Fire TV sticks are cheap and allow sideloading of things like moonlight.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
yes, but three things:

1. Samsung advertised this app when you bought their tvs.
2. The app worked very well still today. No reason to remove it.
3. Buying a separate device that works just as well is atleast 150-200 euro (or dollars)

Yeh not blaming you at all here, the situation sucks all round, just stating what I do and have done ever since these "smart TV's" became a thing.

I've got either a shield, apple TV 4k or a PC connected to each of my TV's and wouldn't change it for the world. If it's any consolation, you'll also most likely find that the shield allows you to do things at a much better quality level than the TV's in built apps did.

Top Bottom