• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sen. Booker Cosponsors Sen. Sanders' Medicare for All

MartyStu

There's a difference between smart leftist criticism and dumb leftist criticism.

We saw in the 2016 primary that Clinton moving left was received with indifference at best and outright scorn and derision by certain factions of the left. Most of the people dumping on Harris and Booker now aren't going to be convinced by this move, they'll just focus on something else or ask why they didn't support it to begin with or some other mental leap.

Like I don't particularly trust Booker to follow through on progressive policy outside of some red meat for the base, but he also doesn't need to do much to win my vote if he's the nominee.

I am tuned in to a lot of lefties and Clinton's shift was not unnoticed. It was in fact celebrated as a win for Sanders' run.

To expect that to immediately have switched people to be 100% on the Clinton train is silly.

Zyae

But Clinton fans said this wasn't possible so Bernie shouldn't have ran on it. Why try for something that's hard?

hmm, almost like the Very Serious People who complain incessantly about purity tests don't actually know what they're talking about

jb1234

As someone who was forced onto Medicare after years of Medicaid, it's far from perfect. There's coverage gaps (dental, eye care), deductibles and co-pays. Now Medicaid for all? That would be rad.

boingball

It's going to be hilarious if Trump backs it! Lol

Well, it fits with Trump's campaign promises (health care for all, central negotiation with big pharma to lower cost, Australia has a much better health care than the US ...).

But you probably have to re-brand it as an Obama-Repeal-Package to make Trump like it. (I doubt that Obama would mind).

As someone who was forced onto Medicare after years of Medicaid, it's far from perfect. There's coverage gaps (dental, eye care), deductibles and co-pays. Now Medicaid for all? That would be rad.
Realistically it probably is more of Medicaid for All, but Medicare seems to be a more widely known, popular program so they use that for branding.

Why do we need so many threads for this thing

Because America needs non-shitty healthcare, and the Republicans still want to take away even the shitty care we have at the moment, replacing it with nothing. Because fuck the poor, I guess. The one saving grace is that they haven't gotten their shit together yet.

Supporting Sanders' healthcare bill and supporting the legalization of marijuana.
I'm warming up to the idea of Booker in 2020.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i dont care about the motives of neoliberals, as long as they are pressured by their constituents to do the right thing, i give them that much.

Now obviously as far as motives go, its logical to be skeptical since booker has gotten huge sums of money from the health insurance lobby, so this is obviously a political calculation on his part(running for president) to get on some particular voting bloc's good side. but as long as he supports that legislation while the lights are on him and doesn't face heel turn at the last second to water it down or destroy it, then i don't care.

the issue is not whether or not they support it now when they are out of power, but if they would support it in the eleventh hour when they are in power and have the ability to do these things. And i give anyone the benefit of a doubt if they try, even if their motives are suspect

legacyzero

Banned
If ponies become part of the Democratic party platform then I am done with the party.
How about a mule
220px-DemocraticLogo.svg.png

Azuran

Banned
Good to know there's still some people in the Dems who aren't complete corporate stooges.

Out with Pelosi and the old guard.

Top Bottom