• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance - New Trailer + Preview Thread

Krathoon

So, they are appropriating African mythology.

I always find it funny how all cultures have some kind of demonology. Japan is really bad about it.

American demons are more vague.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
oh! I see. Kinda weird that he went for a recreation of a carving instead of twisting the concept behind that god itself and do something with it.

Still cool ofc, but I still think it's a weak design compared to it's other, most recent ones.

So, they are appropriating African mythology.

I always find it funny how all cultures have some kind of demonology. Japan is really bad about it.

American demons are more vague.
Appropriating? lol it's not like they are putting a copyright on those or anything. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

Krathoon

This game kind of annoys me because it is the same old bullshit of Atlus double dipping.

This game make the previous game obsolete. It is the definitive edition.

It annoys the hell out of me when they do that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
oh! I see. Kinda weird that he went for a recreation of a carving instead of twisting the concept behind that god itself and do something with it.

Still cool ofc, but I still think it's a weak design compared to it's other, most recent ones.
Yeah kind of agree but we had some demons look more statue rather than organic before.
tumblr_inline_mvybkxtqyl1rai649.jpg
1832379-alilatp4.png

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Doi's designs are a distinct drop in quality compared to the established Kaneko designs.

He is oddly fixated on giving everything pointy feet.

Danjin44

Doi's designs are a distinct drop in quality compared to the established Kaneko designs.

He is oddly fixated on giving everything pointy feet.
If you are talking about the new Demon like Anansi, in mythology his describe as spider so those are spider legs.

i don’t know actually really liking new Demon design from Doi.

Edit: Also Kaneko himself made Demons with pointy feet..
8e5b91141801c5f1c0a024b8c8f1c6422c772870r1-1200-1924v2_hq.jpg

1676013-548px_baelsmt.jpg

8-Tsuchigumo.jpg

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
If you are talking about the new Demon like Anansi, in mythology his describe as spider so those are spider legs.

i don’t know actually really liking new Demon design from Doi.

Edit: Also Kaneko himself made Demons with pointy feet..
8e5b91141801c5f1c0a024b8c8f1c6422c772870r1-1200-1924v2_hq.jpg

1676013-548px_baelsmt.jpg

8-Tsuchigumo.jpg
It's not that I have a problem with pointy feet, it just seems to be his go to - for example, the Satan design.

Anansi looks alright, 'don't copy my homework' Asura from SJ.

Danjin44

It's not that I have a problem with pointy feet, it just seems to be his go to - for example, the Satan design.

Anansi looks alright, 'don't copy my homework' Asura from SJ.
He has more demon design dont have pointy feet compare to the ones they have....I would say Soejima is the one who likes to make pointy feel in his Persona designs.

I personally big fan of Doi's new Demon design like Nuwa and new recent one I really like is Na'amah.

Last edited:

I'm quoting your post again since the guys over at Noisy Pixel did the leg-work for us by doing a nice summary of all the QoL features mentioned in the video. This summary will be added to the OP so non-regulars can check it out. :p

Atlus recently posted its Complete Guide video feature for the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance, which detailed new features and quality-of-life enhancements. Fans may have overlooked much of the latter, so we have listed them here.
  • Magatsu Rails – Connections between two points used for fast travel within Da’at. Grants shortcuts and occasional access to hidden areas for treasure.
  • Consecutive Encounters – Enemy Reinforcements can appear during combat if you were chased by multiple enemies on the field. Greater rewards will be granted upon victory.
  • Mercy Adjustment – Conversations where demons beg for mercy are now more likely to occur during battle. Additionally, a Miracle demanding Incense from cornered demons has been added, improving the usefulness of such conversations.
  • Protagonist Respec – The main character’s parameters can be reshuffled by using the New Testament Tablet.
  • Dyad Compendium Fusion – New fusion option that combines a demon in your possession with one in the compendium.
  • Fusion Accidents – Alongside adding a fusion accident-only edmon, Miracles that greatly increase the rate of combining accidents have also been added.
  • Abscess Obstructions Removed – Previously, there were portions of the map that could not be seen until Abscesses were destroyed. This has been updated, so the map may always be viewed in full.
  • Flying Demon Encounters – Changed so that attacks from flying demons on the field must always take place within the frame.
  • Relics – Extended the obtainable range of relics by two times.
  • Map – Adjusted the color coding of the map to make it easier to see the differences in elevation.
  • Quest Navigation – The number of quest navigation demons that will journey alongside the Nahobino to find hidden treasures and other items has been increased from 6 to 17.
  • Quest Navigators – Updated demon navigators so that their movement is highlighted and a pillar of light emanates from their arrival point.
  • First Strikes – Updated so that even after being detected by an enemy, you can still gain the initiative in battle by striking them from behind.
  • Miracles – Some Miracles can be turned on or off at will.
  • Tutorials – Tutorials can be revisited at any time by opening the menu.
  • Destination Indicators – Changed so that quest destination can be viewed by displaying a map from a list.
  • Level Difference Scaling – The damage adjustment by level difference was changed to be more moderate compared to the previous version. Depending on tactics, it has been made easier to defeat stronger opponents.
  • Auto Skill – The Auto-Attack/Auto-Skill mode can be selected at the user’s discretion when selecting Auto-Battle. Auto-Attack is a conventional battle mode utilizing standard attacks. Auto Skill is a new mode in which players use their skills to attack their opponents’ weak points during Auto-Battle.
  • Control Options – Changed to allow adjustment of stick operation sensitivity and key assignments.
  • Graphic Options – Added the ability to adjust and change brightness, contrast, etc.
  • Skill Cutscene Speed – The speed setting, which was only available for skip/double-speed, has been expanded to 4x.
  • Character Essence Info – Changed so that when you hover over a demon, for example, you can tell if you already possess that demon’s Essence.
  • Essence Searchability – The ability to search for Essences by the skills you want is now available. Additionally, a mark has been added to an Essence that can be purchased in the store.
  • Sorting – Enhanced sorting functions, such as sorting by purchasable Essences, reverse fusion, ingredients, etc.
  • Gift Giving – Changed so that gift giving and learning skills, which happened only at a normal level-up for demons, will now occur via Fusion level-up as well.
  • Compendium – Demon Compendium data can be Original or Custom. Comparative display between custom data and original data is now possible.
  • Estoma – Chaned the specifications of Estoma, a skill to avoid enemy encounters. It is no longer affected by the new moon, and consumes Magatsuhi instead of MP. It can be turned on/off at any time after obtaining it.
  • Sky View – Added the ability to look around from above while exploring.
  • Landmark Function – Added the ability to place markers at desired locations.
  • Obstacles – Added the ability for the camera to see through obstacles to prevent 3D sickness.
  • Map Icons – Changed so that map icons can be turned on and off individually.
  • Minimap – Added option to rotate the mini-map to match the camera.
  • Recommended Levels – Changed so that the recommended level of subquests can be found within the quest list.
  • Growth Items – Changed so that status-enhancing items and other items can be used all at once.
  • Experience Items – The level-up process, which used to take place after the battle, has been changed so that it takes place immediately after the use of experience items.
  • Saving – Saving can now be done anywhere, not just in leyline founts.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So basically this game will have two play through options from the jump right? Original story and then something new?

What should new player to this do if they only plan to play it once?

Danjin44

So basically this game will have two play through options from the jump right? Original story and then something new?

What should new player to this do if they only plan to play it once?
At beginning of the game you can choose between "Canon of Creation" (story of original release) or "Canon of Vengeance" New story.

Already did Canon of Creation when originally released on Switch, so I'm going straight to Canon of Vengeance.

But later on I might do Creation as well with mechanics they added in Vengeance.

Edit: If you are only going to play it once just go with Canon of Vengeance.

Last edited:
Vengeance has both original story and the new story and improvements and still carries to the original story.

At this point pointless to get original version.
Yeah in this case there's no big issue as like you said the original story content will be there still but with the added QoL features from SMTVV.

That said, I do wonder if OG SMT5 physical copies will become more valuable on the used market... 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom