• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR - how is it?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Skyrim is one of my all time favorite games and I am planning on picking up the VR persion along with the PSVR for $199 on BF.

Now I am someone who pretty much hates motion controls and am concerned that I might be overwhelmed by the gimmick of VR.
I am hoping I can play and enjoy the game with the basic dualshock controller and basically just use the headset to view the game.

Is Skyrim VR for me, or am I only able to play in a way that requires unfun motion controls?

Also, how is Fallout 4 VR?

Pejo

Gold Member
It's one of my favorite game experiences in VR, only next to Astro Bot and Superhot. I really recommend you turn off the warping movement and use dual move controllers if its an option and you don't get motion sick. I've played Skyrim like 5 times on various platforms and this is by far the best experience (to me obviously).

Grinchy

Banned
I think it's kinda dumb to play it with a regular controller. Sure, you still get the game in VR, but the motion controls make it so much better.

I did a sneaky archery build (which I luckily had never done in the game before) and it was so much fun. Doing the actual motions to shoot arrows feels spot-on. You can even do the Legolas thing where you quick-shoot a bunch of arrows in a row if your body is physically capable of doing it.

My suggestion is to actually try the motion controls out in VR before deciding you hate them already. And also do that for many aspects in your life. Hating things you haven't even experienced yet is a really boring and lame way to go through life.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think it's kinda dumb to play it with a regular controller. Sure, you still get the game in VR, but the motion controls make it so much better.

I did a sneaky archery build (which I luckily had never done in the game before) and it was so much fun. Doing the actual motions to shoot arrows feels spot-on. You can even do the Legolas thing where you quick-shoot a bunch of arrows in a row if your body is physically capable of doing it.

My suggestion is to actually try the motion controls out in VR before deciding you hate them already. And also do that for many aspects in your life. Hating things you haven't even experienced yet is a really boring and lame way to go through life.

I get what your saying but the motion controllers not having an analogue stick plus the relative price of them to buy.. I can understand people sticking to a controller.

I have the game but waiting on psvr 2 news to play it (for hopefully graphics and a new vr controller).

Pejo

Gold Member
I get what your saying but the motion controllers not having an analogue stick plus the relative price of them to buy.. I can understand people sticking to a controller.

I have the game but waiting on psvr 2 news to play it (for hopefully graphics and a new vr controller).
One of the control methods turns your non-aiming hand into an analogue stick, I found it perfectly playable like that with 2 Moves.

The Shepard

Definitely play the archer, using your head to aim never gets old. I've not actually tested the moves out but it plays brilliantly with the ps4 controller.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sorta borked on PC with Index, I got it sorta working but not to where I wanted to keep going. If the PSVR version is up to snuff and you’re up for that, I would say go for it given the PSVR has a lot of other exclusives. Not being able to play Astrobot makes me sad

johntown

Banned
Having played lots of VR I was not really impressed. It should be noted though that I preferred to play it as immersive as possible will full movement (not teleporting and FOV adjustments).

With those settings I could only play for about an hour or so before my head started to hurt.

It is very cool to see it in VR though. The combat and some things are kinda clunky (like going through menu's).

I find with VR that each person is different with the experience and some ppl love it and other don't. I am mixed as I don't hate it but wish it would be better.

If you like Skyrim and have the cash to burn go for it and least try it out.

Never tried Fallout 4 VR basically because I have a Rift and even without the Rift I hear there is quite a lot you need to do to get it working decently. I know it can work with the Rift but I am waiting for some next gen version of VR before I try it.

Romulus

I enjoyed it thoroughly, and it's by far the definitive way to play.

Motion controls in VR aren't a gimmick imo either, it's the way that it actually makes sense.

Having said that, the psvr moves aren't ideal but feel really great after a couple days practice.

Holding up your shield to deflect arrows, then pulling them out of shield is awesome. Battering dudes with shield and archery is great fun.

As a bonus, psvr version has over double the framerate of any other console version ever released.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will probably give it a whirl and maybe try out motion controls, but I am one of the few people who hated Zelda Skyward sword because I simply just did not like playing that way in a game. Moving my arms around simply isn't for me.

Freeman76

Controller works fine. Its basically identical to playing Skyrim anywhere else, except you can look around and get a sense of the scale of it all. These people saying it sucks unless you use motion controls are full of shit man.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Controller works fine. Its basically identical to playing Skyrim anywhere else, except you can look around and get a sense of the scale of it all. These people saying it sucks unless you use motion controls are full of shit man.
From what I gather, if you love motion controls, it works really well, so there's that.

Freeman76

From what I gather, if you love motion controls, it works really well, so there's that.

Im not denying that, Im sure they are brilliant if you can get the tracking right, which can be a job in itself lol. Its just when people say thats the only way to play that are talking bollocks, its amazing with a controller.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I've played a bit with the Move controllers. I didn't like warping so used the Move controllers for free movement. I find the movement with the analog-less Move controllers difficult. Can you have the normal movement using the PS4 regular controller?

Griffon

Gameplay is fine with the rift controllers, but graphics really feel fake, as if everything is made of cheap cardboard. I just couldn't get into it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im not denying that, Im sure they are brilliant if you can get the tracking right, which can be a job in itself lol. Its just when people say thats the only way to play that are talking bollocks, its amazing with a controller.
This makes me happy. I may give Move a whirl, but I don't believe move controls are part of the $199 bundle.

Freeman76

I've played a bit with the Move controllers. I didn't like warping so used the Move controllers for free movement. I find the movement with the analog-less Move controllers difficult. Can you have the normal movement using the PS4 regular controller?
Yes :)

Strazyplus

Skyrim and fallout would be amazing games for VR. so would GTA 5. however Bethesda put the least effort into the VR ports. the integration is not of the standard I hope to see for VR games. so my answer is no but also short term yes untill something comes out and beats it... Stormland is coming out today and Boneworks release date is announced and HLVR is going to be a must have.

Zug

Do not attempt to mod Skyrim VR by yourself, so many core features have been added to the base game through mods that it'll take you months to figure out how to untangle the things and make it run stable.
Start here : https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/ , and use a Wabbajack base, the FUS Wabbajack list is recommended for a start (also a great base for further customization).

Last edited:

Humdinger

It's a little awkward, but it's still not an experience to be missed for any fan of Skyrim. I had motion control sickness myself, so I had to limit myself to 30 minute sessions. I also found the Move controller scheme awkward. I think I played about 20 hours of it, then stopped. I had played Skyrim twice already, so I didn't want to play it a third time, especially in 30 minute chunks. I enjoyed my time "in" the world of Skyrim, though.

RavageX

I like it but I've play the game so much that it doesn't feel fresh in VR. And I ran into a old bug that was in the original game. I did mod it and used that Yabberjack or whatever but it changed some things I did not like and quit fooling with it. This was quite some time ago so I might fool with it again.

Top Bottom