• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony XH90 issue

I'm actually not sure if this is a TV issue, a stream issue or a console issue:
First I disabled HDR10 on my xsx because while it looked great in games on the "standard preset", it didn't look great on the "game preset", which is what you want for the reduced latency.
So then I was doing the rest of the calibration for all settings and I noticed something really weird.
I think only disney+ is showing correct colours in dolby vision, netflix is completely messed up, prime too.
On amazon prime it was even weirder because first I watched doctor sleep on it and it looked fine, but then I tried godzilla 2 and it looked completely desaturated; actually had to crank up the "live colour" setting for it to look kinda normal.

Disabled dolby vision on the xsx and everything immediately looks like it should, same with godzilla 2 on prime, but that's just fucking weird, cause that would mean the UI is displaying a different signal from the actual video, cause all the menu colours and thumbnails when seeking are perfect.
Like the netflix logo is properly red, but then when you start a video, the logo in the video is more like orange, and then if you pause the video you can see both the proper red netflix logo in the UI and the botched orange logo in the video.

Weird thing is, if I start those apps via the tv itself, and not the xsx, only disney+ switches to dolby vision. The other two do not switch to any kind of HDR mode
It almost seems like the xsx is forcing the HDR mode on prime and netflix, but the actual video from them doesn't support it.
So now I've disabled dolby vision as well, which means I'll just use the tv's app for disney+
it's still really weird though, because doctor sleep looks fine with hdr modes disabled or enabled on the xsx, which makes me think that maybe amazon prime sends an HDR signal depending on the video, same with netflix, but if the actual video doesn't support it, it looks like garbage.

Is this a case where the xsx is enabling HDR for netflix by mistake, even though I don't have the "higher tier" sub?
But then how does it work for prime? Should it switch between SDR/HDR modes depending on the video? If so is the xsx again at fault?

I'm so confused.

edit:
update:
Disney+ is properly switching between SDR(X-2) videos, HDR10(Fant4stic) videos and dolby(Mulan/Mandalorian) videos via the TV app.
Amazon prime tv app doesn't switch to dolby(doctor sleep), so it leaves those in SDR, but it does switch on HDR10(godzilla 2) videos.

This explains why doctor sleep looked fine on the xsx, cause it's in dolby and the xsx forced the entire app to be in dolby
Happy death day 2u is in HDR10 and it looked off on the xsx, because once again it locked to dolby this also explains godzilla 2 because it's also in HDR10.
So weird the xsx forces an HDR mode even if the actual video doesn't support it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom