• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Hyperloop competition livestream today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
JSso2D3.jpg

Hyperloop is a futuristic transportation system proposed by Elon Musk using vacuum tubes to travel at >700 miles per hour. SpaceX is not commercially developing the technology but is supporting teams and companies from around the world as well as hosting design and test competitions. This weekend is the first competition at the new SpaceX mile-long test track in Hawthorne, CA. First, teams have to pass a series of open air tests before advancing to the vacuum test track. This is a subscale track so looks like teams are aiming for speeds of 200-300 miles per hour.

Stream for the competition [NOW LIVE!]: http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop

Video of test track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcKZF_QHUJI

Some of the hyperloop pod designs. More here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-hyperloop-competitions-teams-2017-1/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is that test track supposed to just look like some random water pipe on the side of the road? Wouldn't you think it'd be more - straight - than that?

And are these using any kind of standard rail system and the competition is just for the engine, or are the entrants providing the full thing?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I thought the hyperloop was supposed to have very little room around itself. Surprised to see how much bigger the tunnel is than the pod.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lets just randomly speed tunnelling technology up 10x even though I don't know how tunnelling machines work..

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Y'all wearing shirts and shorts in sunny California :( meanwhile we need to bundle up here in the north!

Jezbollah

Given the scale of tunnelling technology used in projects such as Crossrail, I suspect such gains may not be done without some considerable improvements on how to transport debris away from the boring machine.

Man I had to do research on every contestants pod mechanics for work. MIT should win this but we shall see. This field is blowing up fast. The next wave of them is going to be even more impressive.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
For those just tuning in: looks like they are loading the first test pod, then pulling all the pressure and air out of the test track to make a vacuum, which will take about 30 minutes. Looks like there are just going to be three test runs today if I understood correctly?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, people were assholes. Completely disregarded the interview and camera and started walking and standing in the way, and lady jumped in and started taking pictures.

Man I had to do research on every contestants pod mechanics for work. MIT should win this but we shall see. This field is blowing up fast. The next wave of them is going to be even more impressive.
Where do you work? (If it's an article I'd love to read it)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Delft hit 94-95 quick and only used about half the tube. Wonder how fast they could have gotten if they had used more of it.

Really impressive how well the 6-person high school team did. Got some honorable mentions.

Kickz

Please get this done by 2020 so I can commute to my Minneapolis job from a warmer climate in the winter

Delft University: Highest Overall Score; Design and Construction Award

Technical University of Munich (WARR Hyperloop): Fastest Pod Award

MIT: Safety and Reliability Award

University of Maryland (UMD Loop): Performance and Operatons Award

University of Wisconsin-Madison (Team Badgerloop): Pod Innovation Award

rLoop (the only team unaffiliated with a university): Pod Innovation Award

Great to see 'our team' win this event.

Delft hit 94-95 quick and only used about half the tube. Wonder how fast they could have gotten if they had used more of it.

Really impressive how well the 6-person high school team did. Got some honorable mentions.

One of the team members said they only managed to hit 93 and Munich was faster. This was mainly because of the drag caused by the maglev system compared to the conventional rail system of the Germans. TIL that passive magnetic levitation causes more drag than steel wheels. Getting active maglev propulsion to work will negate that problem. Delft also managed to implement their magnetic brake system which enabled them to brake very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom