• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell 3 is due out this holiday season? Is this a joke? A typo?

Mrbob

Just got around to checking out the latest EGM in the mail and came across the Splinter Cell 3 press start info. Not a whole lot there but what caught me by surprise is that the game is due out this holiday season. UBI needs to slowdown. We are going to have, six months between releases? Sometimes I think a year is pushing it but I wonder what is their rush to have a new Splinter Cell game out so soon? Sales obvsiously but isn't this a good way to run a franchise into the ground?

According to the preview it sounds like UBI has two teams making Splinter Cell games and the teams alternate games. So I guess Splinter Cell 3 is handled by the team who developed the original Splinter Cell? Now we should expect the Pandora Tommorrow team to have Splinter Cell 4 ready by next March/April? Sheesh.

jenov4

No joke! Ubisoft's really milking this franchise. But if this one's as good as the previous two, I don't mind it. :)

Kuroyume

Banned
Why is this a big deal but having a Madden every year is not? The first game came out in 2002 and fans are furtunate enough to not have to way over another year for a new title. You can say the same thing about GTA, DMC, etc

Mrbob

Yeah I'd like to see Splinter Cell 3 take on multiplayer.

Splinter Cell 3 will have co-op play. I think this could be very cool to play over Xbox Live! Plus the 2 vs 2 multiplayer from Pandora Tommorrow is supposed to be making a return in some form!

Why is this a big deal but having a Madden every year is not? The first game came out in 2002 and fans are furtunate enough to not have to way over another year for a new title. You can say the same thing about GTA, DMC, etc

Well, we aren't talking about a year in this case. Six-seven months.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mrbob said:
Yeah I'd like to see Splinter Cell 3 take on multiplayer.

Splinter Cell 3 will have co-op play. I think this could be very cool to play over Xbox Live! Plus the 2 vs 2 multiplayer from Pandora Tommorrow is supposed to be making a return in some form!

Well, we aren't talking about a year in this case. Six-seven months.

Splinter Cell: Pandora tomorrow wasn't really meant to be Splinter Cell 2.

Bebpo

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Splinter Cell: Pandora tomorrow wasn't really meant to be Splinter Cell 2.

Whether it was meant to or not, PT is Splinter Cell 2. It's an entirely new single player campaign and multiplayer game.

rastex

Banned
Originally SC:pT was supposed to be kind of a single-player expansion plus a significant XBL component. Essentially an online upgrade of the original plus some single-player maps. During development though Ubi saw that the game could stand on its own than more than just an "update" and decided to market it as a totally new game/sequel (and could price it accordingly).

epmode

if splinter cell 3 doesn't have a competitive online mode, no sale. i haven't even finished the 3rd single player mission, yet i still feel that i got my money's worth. spies vs. mercs = best new multiplayer concept in years.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Razoric said:
Then why is this being dubbed Splinter Cell 3?

:p

Because people perceived Pandora Tomorrow as Splinter Cell 2. Splinter Cell 3 was originally going to be Splinter Cell 2. Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell 3 are made by the Montreal studio, Pandora Tomorrow by the Shanghai studio. Pandora tomorrow was really just an extension of Splinter Cell, really.

Mrbob said:
Plus the 2 vs 2 multiplayer from Pandora Tommorrow is supposed to be making a return in some form!

Is there anything from Ubi Soft that verifies this? I thought it was just going to have online co-op.

Rhindle

I do think they are at risk of burning out the franchise by releasing 2 games in a single year -- even though SC3 looks to be a big step forward over the original.

I'm getting a sense that they will only release the PC version this year though ...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Market saturation.

But then again, the same company was dumb enough to release Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia in the same window, so who knows.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know that the PC version is coming this year, but has an XBox version even been announced yet?

And has anything more been said yet about the multiplayer? I'd love to see more deathmatch similar to Pandora Tomorrow, in addition to the co-op already being featured.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't particularly like the Splinter Cell franchise, but I have to agree...the co-op mode looks like it'll be fun

I didn't care much for Pandora Tomorrow, but Splinter Cell 3 looks awesome. The demo at E3 was very impressive, and the simple addition of a knife gives Sam +10 Badass points. And the coop multiplayer mode holds a huge amount of promise if the designers can map out levels that require the amount of cooperation that was shown at the tail end of the E3 presentation.

Cliff notes: This game will be good.

my guess is they arent releasing any info for this game on consoles as the 2nd one is still brand new on 2 systems and basically brand new on xbox, should have alot more sales left in it.

The only thing that will save the online co-op mode is if they put in extremely random enemy placement. Otherwise, it will turn into the tragedy that is online FSW.

"Dude, you go up against that wall and shoot the three guys that come walking by in 4 seconds."

Top Bottom