• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO Takashi Kiryu - Sales of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Final Fantasy XVI and Foamstars Short of Expectations

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Capcom and SE gets paid to put their games there (expect when they don't) and aren't going to openly say why they aren't putting certain games on it but there are publishers that have spoken out. If the sales aren't there Publishers are going to question their support.

"It's not that we can't develop Xbox ports or that we're too cheap to do it, it's that we don't earn anything on the game digitally. Physical game sales are not high enough on Xbox to offset our development costs, so we have no option but to skip Xbox on these titles."

That doesn't really say much. It's for physical only content which LRG puts out, we already know with examples in UK that Xbox sales are predominantly done digitally, upto 80% even for games like Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

That doesn't really say much. It's for physical only content which LRG puts out, we already know with examples in UK that Xbox sales are predominantly done digitally, upto 80% even for games like Elden Ring.
It says that when a game doesn't come to Gamepass and skips Xbox entirely then that Publisher doesn't have faith in the game selling physically or digitally on the platform...or at least that's the message I get from reading all of those articles.

PSlayer

Budgets are way too high for AAAAA games these days. Selling 3 or 4 million copies at full price is not enough to break even anymore.

Developers will have to rethink their pipeline on top of releasing their games everywhere. No way Moneyhatting pays off anymore.

Last edited:

paolo11

I mean… I’m sure they’re taking its sales potential into account when deciding how much time/money they’re willing to spend on it. It would be meaningless speculation to say anymore than that though.
I just pray they go all out and try to equal or exceed the quality from rebirth.

The last part of FF7 could have been better.

For FF16, I liked it a lot, but was too easy (I did not use the special items to dodge and such)

For Foamstars, this was my expectation

Laugh Lol GIF

of it being a game that people could play for a long time and make money since it was GAAS

qbCiS70.jpeg

you are welcome dummy
Not sure what this has to do with the recent games moving slow. I didn't even frame any context with my comment, but I'll add some:
I want SE to be day and date multiplat. I don't enjoy waiting for games like Rebirth. I game primarily on PC with Switch being what I use when traveling or playing through a Nintendo game, specifically. Also, call me a "dummy" ? I mean, it does absolutely nothing to my feelings, but, damn... that's mean. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_ok:

Wasn’t this the same company that said they were happy with FF16’s performance after it released?

Side note, wasn’t this the same company who expected the tomb Raider reboot to do like 12 million when anyone with a brain could’ve told them it wouldn’t?
Source says 16 initially met expectations but failed to have the post launch sustained sales that SE expected so at first it did well but then nose dived worst than expected.

Hopefully they finish the trilogy and then move on to 17 with a radical change in direction.

The problem with FF is that every new game is a radical change in direction....Square can't seem to settle on an identity for the franchise. Look at the gameplay style of the last several non-MMO games:

Final Fantasy X - Old school turn-based combat
Final Fantasy XII - MMO-esque real time combat
Final Fantasy XIII - Tactical real time combat
Final Fantasy XV - Action RPG combat
Final Fantasy XVI - Character action combat

None of them play remotely like any of the others. Part of the strength of a brand is that people more-or-less know what they're getting.....I can describe with almost 100% certainty what the next 3D Mario, Kingdom Hearts, or Monster Hunter games are going to play like, but I haven't the slightest clue what the next Final Fantasy game is going to play like.

The problem with FF is that every new game is a radical change in direction....Square can't seem to settle on an identity for the franchise. Look at the gameplay style of the last several non-MMO games:

Final Fantasy X - Old school turn-based combat
Final Fantasy XII - MMO-esque real time combat

None of them play remotely like any of the others. Part of the strength of a brand is that people more-or-less know what they're getting.....I can describe with almost 100% certainty what the next 3D Mario, Kingdom Hearts, or Monster Hunter games are going to play like, but I haven't the slightest clue what the next Final Fantasy game is going to play like.
I disagree. The reason FF is falling off is that its forgotten what it is.

It's trying so hard to be that like other successful western RPGs or being influenced by series like GOT, to the point of being almost unrecognizable.

Part of the mystery and magic of the series was, the lead up to knowing what the next iteration would be like.

There's always been a few series staples, of course, but the radical direction change was always welcome.

Still, I do believe the series should have both an action-oriented and a mainline traditional style game, to cater to both audiences, and dedicated teams for a more consistent experience between series entries.

Last edited:

Furball

Final Fantasy X - Old school turn-based combat ( Play more like FF 1 to 3)
Final Fantasy XII - MMO-esque real time combat (It just ATB , play pretty much like 4-9 without random battle )

The big different only start with FF 13 . The PS2 Era game still basically just newer version of their old system , their basic and structure are pretty much the same .

However, there progression system , upgrade , gear and equipment are basically become the same since 13 , they all just skill trees without any story related , lore .

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I love how people are building sand castles on notoriously bad reporting when Square's own financials said this

The same article also says this. Your quoted portion looks like someone paraphrasing something that directly contradicts this quote.

zxeIbq2.jpeg

Please post the actual article link you're snipping something from.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

just another example of where Takeshi Mochizuki managed to rile up people again

see the response here.

Screaming The Muppets GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom