• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has 10k+ games, new VR peripheral prototypes to be shown at Steam Dev Days

This is an off-press dev conference, don't expect consumer announcements. The vids will be available later, devs will tweet stuff live.

Press release

VALVE HOSTING STEAM DEV DAYS

Summit for Desktop, Living Room, and VR Content Creation

October 11, 2016 – Happening this Wednesday and Thursday in Seattle, WA, Steam Dev Days gives content creators a chance to share their experiences using Steam and attend briefings about new tools, services, and hardware in production for 2017 and beyond.

Celebrating over 10 years since the first third-party title was launched on the platform, developers have published over 10,000 titles on Steam for Windows PC, Linux, Mac and multiple VR systems.

Support for VR was introduced just six months ago, yet developers have already published over 600 VR experiences via Steam for those using multiple VR systems, including OpenVR.

Complementing the title and revenue growth, the adoption of SteamVR Tracking continues with over 300 licensees planning to incorporate the technology for a variety of uses, ranging from entertainment VR to automotive to televisions and toys. Many of these are targeted to ship in 2017.

The two-day event will feature keynotes from third parties and Valve, who will be discussing near-term and long-term expansions to Steam. In addition, new VR peripheral prototypes will be made available for demonstration and design collaboration with attendees.

About Steam Dev Days

Steam Dev Days is a two-day developers’ conference where professionals can meet in a relaxed, off the record environment. Developers will share their design and industry expertise, participate in panel discussions, and attend lectures by industry veterans on a variety of topics. Attendees will also have direct access to Valve’s Steam Team, and will be given a chance to test-drive and provide feedback on new VR prototypes.

Nzyme32

Speaking of which, via Plagman on Twitter, I guess SteamVR hitting Linux utilising Vulkan is a thing:

"Busy day tomorrow! #SteamDevDays #Vulkan"

8eQAZmJ.jpg

inner-G

Banned
Not really that surprising since they started letting about anything on there. It's been flooded with cheap mobile-like games lately, making it harder to find the good stuff

Tizoc

Pardon the question but
1- Will Dev Day have some kind of Stream?
2- How many hours til it starts?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Speaking of which, via Plagman on Twitter, I guess SteamVR hitting Linux utilising Vulkan is a thing:

"Busy day tomorrow! #SteamDevDays #Vulkan"

8eQAZmJ.jpg

I somehow read that book's titled as "HATRED Trilogy" and entered a deeply, thoroughly confused state.

Nzyme32

I read so much hype about Steam Dev Days in the VR community, but I doubt anything substantial will be announced.

Well, other than the normal updates on Steam and welcome stuff, the keynote is VR heavy.

- Philosophy of VR - Joe Ludwig - The value of open platforms, and the past, present, and future of VR.

- The Future of VR and PC Games - Tim Sweeney - Tim will talk about leading-edge directions in VR including digital humans, social interaction, user-created content, photorealistic graphics, and breaking down the barriers between genres -- and how these trends are contributing towards a new medium resembling the Metaverse from science fiction.

Hopefully we get some crazy rifle accessory of some sort.

Would be really interesting if they found some way to simulate 90% of rifles out there, though that would likely require Leap Motion to just motion track your fingers around it.

spekkeh

Banned
That's nice and all. I'm real happy for you and imma let you finish, but

WHERE THE FUCK IS SOURCE SDK 2

Sorry bout that

I'm good now

No really I'm good

AAAHHHH

LordRaptor

Not really that surprising since they started letting about anything on there. It's been flooded with cheap mobile-like games lately, making it harder to find the good stuff

I'd rather be in a "how can I hold all these games?" position than in a "Boy, I really hope this game I saw a video of 10 years ago is AMAZING because its the only thing interesting out this year!"

Hopefully we get some crazy rifle accessory of some sort.

I'm still... 90% convinced that the first SWATting fatality is going to be against someone using a 'looks a lot like a real assault rifle' VR accessory.

"there aren't any press here - at least I don't think so. If you see one - point them out and make them feel bad about their life choices"

lol

Valve will not be making announcement about content they're working on for VR at SDD this year, but says people won't be disappointed when they do hear what Valve is working on sometime next year. Valve's DJ Powers now on stage to talk business.

Tagyhag

While I agree that the spotlight system needs to be better to find some hidden gems, it's not hard at all to find good games.

You go to games, and then you filter by user rating.

If you want to get more specific you can filter by genre, sp-only etc.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Valve will not be making announcement about content they're working on for VR at SDD this year, but says people won't be disappointed when they do hear what Valve is working on sometime next year

GET FUCKING HYPE

thanks to steam's tag system you can check yourself!

Survival: 617
Open World: 1070
Open World + Survival: 254

So about 2.5% of total games assuming just over 10,000. Bear in mind that browsing "all games" in Steam returns 23,280 results. Must be counting DLC packs.

TheTrain

"Steam Link will be integrated into the new Samsung TVs" #SteamDevDays

#SteamDevDays "We're adding support for all popular game controllers to the Steam API."

I'll talk about this in detail later today!

"We have over 1000 new VR users on Steam every day"#SteamDevDays

Fox318

GET FUCKING HYPE

Moveable Desk Simulator 2017

Finally you at home can feel what its like to work at Valve!

• Transistion from project to project
  • Push past the empty customer support area
  • Stop in on the 1 person in charge of TF2 updates
  • Make sure translators aren't paid by using the Vive controler
  • See talented game makers like Brad Muir be assigned to count post it notes

Coming soon

Lister

Banned
"Steam Link will be integrated into the new Samsung TVs" #SteamDevDays

Woot!

#SteamDevDays "We're adding support for all popular game controllers to the Steam API."

Cool, but all I need is my Steam controller ;p

"We have over 1000 new VR users on Steam every day"#SteamDevDays

Not too shabby for the most expensive headset out there without much marketing and almost no retial presence until, I think, very recently.

Nzyme32

Woot!

Cool, but all I need is my Steam controller ;p

Not too shabby for the most expensive headset out there without much marketing and almost no retial presence until, I think, very recently.

I think a key point here is that they will all fall under the same umbrella, so Steam Controller native support will be a given along with any other controller getting support!

Lister

Banned
That new controller is cool, and it looks like the rumors about Valve possibly making the headset cheaper to manufacture thanks to new tracking tech might be true,

City 17

Upcoming Panels (after lunch break):

• Steam Controller
  • Steam 201 - Sound Advice from Successful Developers
  • Steam Inventory Service
  • SteamVR Hardware
  • Building Unity Games for SteamOS/Linux
  • UGC and Workshop in ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Video Content on Steam

Nzyme32

Any chance of a mention of a new Steam controller, as opposed to new Vive ones?

Steam Controller talk in an hour. Maybe they talk about the new iteration but I wouldn't count on that. It is more of a developer talk focused on implementing support, and since all controllers go through Steam API now, that probably means talking about all of them

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://uploadvr.com/nitero-valve-investment-wireless-vr/

Speaking with Sven Mesecke, Nitero’s Co-Founder and Vice President, Valve has invested a “significant amount” in the company – who showed us an early demo of their technology this year at CES. Nitero’s solution for wireless VR involves two key parts, wireless transfer via a 60Ghz transmitter and encoding to help make sure all the image data reaches the headset without dropping latency. According to Mesecke, Nitero’s technology, “is a robust, low latency, solution that has been crafted for VR.”

One of the biggest obstacles Nitero’s technology faced when we first tried it was losing signal when the transmitters’ lost their line of sight. This issue, Mesecke says, has been solved with “customized beam forming” that will help locate the user, saying that “you no longer need line of sight” for the solution to work.

Top Bottom