• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Mnuchin, Treasury Nominee, Failed to Disclose $100 Million in Assets

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON — Steven T. Mnuchin, President-elect Donald J. Trump's pick to be Treasury secretary, failed to disclose nearly $100 million of his assets on Senate Finance Committee disclosure documents and forgot to mention his role as a director of an investment fund located in a tax haven.

The revelation came hours before Mr. Mnuchin, a former Goldman Sachs banker, was scheduled to testify on Thursday before the Senate Finance Committee, which has historically been bipartisan in its demands for transparency from nominees. Mr. Mnuchin was ready to outline his vision for the economy and defend himself against claims that he headed a bank that ran a ”foreclosure machine" during the financial crisis.

”In his revised questionnaire, Mr. Mnuchin disclosed several additional financial assets, including $95 million worth of real estate — a co-op in New York City, a residence in Southampton, New York, a residence in Los Angeles, California, and $15 million in real estate holdings in Mexico," Democratic staff members of the Senate Finance Committee wrote in a memo on Thursday. ”Mr. Mnuchin has claimed these omissions were due to a misunderstanding of the questionnaire."

According to the memo, Mr. Mnuchin also initially failed to disclose that he is the director of Dune Capital International, an investment fund incorporated in the Cayman Islands, which is a tax haven, along with management posts in seven other investment funds.

”I think as you all can appreciate, filling out these government forms is quite complicated,"
Mr. Mnuchin said, noting that he had handed over 5,000 pages of disclosures. ”Let me first say, any oversight, it was unintentional."

And he belatedly disclosed that his children own nearly $1 million in artwork.

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/...ackage-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Guevara

Since it's mostly real estate, I don't really have trouble believing his claim that he misunderstood the questionnaire.

The offshore tax haven stuff is the real story.

entremet

Since it's mostly real estate, I don't really have trouble believing his claim that he misunderstood the questionnaire.

The offshore tax haven stuff is the real story.
Do you want someone that careless being Treasury Secretary?

How I feel daily as this farce unfolds.
YamjRpe.gif

That makes him smart!

Jokes aside I truly think it could just be a mistake if his assets are extremely large. But a mistake is an even worse look.

see5harp

Man to be so damn rich that you forget that you own $100 million in property and you forget that you actually work in the Cayman Islands.

Has there been a single Trump appointee that hasn't had a closet-full of skeletons or a trunk full of baggage?

Every one of those fuckers is either a complete conflict of interest to their positions or wants to dismantle the protections, freedoms and stability provided to Americans with those positions.

I mean, I know Trump is anti-government, but I didn't realize he was completely anti-American Infrastructure too.

Holy Shit.

WedgeX

Banned
You're succeeding Alexander motherfucking Hamilton and you're claiming that the questionnaire is too damn'd complicated?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Going to oversee the IRS (and a massive chunk of the banking regulations, etc.) and he can't handle complicated paperwork.

This should be interesting. Can we just "forget" stuff on our taxes?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
According to the memo, Mr. Mnuchin also initially failed to disclose that he is the director of Dune Capital International, an investment fund incorporated in the Cayman Islands, which is a tax haven, along with management posts in seven other investment funds.
He simply forgot to mention these... uh huh.

RDreamer

I have to freely admit at this point that Trump's appointees have been spectacularly worse than I ever could have imagined. It's kind of impressive.

Do Better

Should be disqualified. Do we want a treasurer who forgets that he has an extra 100 million dollars lying around?

Ok in assets, but still.

At least it's consistent and par for the course. At this point I'd be more shocked if a cabinet appointee (other than Mattis, I suppose) was qualified lol.

I actually think Wilbur Ross knows what he's talking about as well. He actually gave some poignant facts, statistics, and examples during his hearing.
I'm not a fan of a number of his policies, but he's at least not a total trade hawk, understands the multilateral components of negotiation, and bucks the trend by being actually knowledgeable of what the position entails.
Low bar, I know, but I don't think the Commerce depts would be a complete fire under Ross.

Horns

Holy fuck. We're supposed to allow someone run the Treasury when they can't even disclose their own assets.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
These assholes really are going to fuck up this country, aren't they?

I mean, not in the sense that like... they might do some stuff I'd disagree with.

I mean shit is actually, literally, no hyperbole going to be ruined because of this administration.

zelas

If he cant understand the terms on the questionnaire then he shouldnt be seeking to run the agency where he'll need to understand those same terms. It's ALL very bad.

Catdaddy

He's wants to work for the government but has problems filling out the forms????? Won't that kinda be his job afterwards.....sheesh

The questionnaire is a job application. If you don't understand how to fill it out correctly, you aren't qualified for the position. That's how we weed out the people who aren't very good at hiding their offshore assets; only the best tax-dodgers need apply.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Good job rural America, this is as fox in the hen house as it gets

And this dude didnt forget shit. I hope people are not buying into the explanation.

avaya

So heard some stories about this guy at work, from someone who used to be his boss at GS. A real idiot apparently, bootlicked his way to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom