• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL Showcases World’s First 4K 1000 Hz Panel For Next-Gen Gaming Monitors

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The news comes from Blur Busters, who attended the DisplayWeek 2024 conference in California. Apart from all the innovative tech presented, the one thing that caught their eye was the displays showcased by TCL CSOT. The company decided to break the refresh rate threshold with their newest 4K 1000 Hz panel. Details on the display are subtle since we haven't seen an official press release or statement announcing the technology. Still, TCL revealed it at DisplayWeek, which was exciting to witness.

Holammer

Wasn’t 1000 hz the line when we reach crt levels?
Yes

1NJMxXx.png

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Let's say this launches in 3 years and the rtx 6090 is out at the same time, what games would you even be able to run at 4k@1000fps even with a hypothetical 6090? Counterstrike?

Over 4k is useless
Current hardware isn't even able to run 4k after 10 years
I'm more astonished how some manufacturers like Samsung are pushing for 8k when not even 4k became the overall norm worldwide.

I wish I could watch everything in 4k, but that it is and will keep being a pipe dream for good 5+ years.

dave_d

Let's say this launches in 3 years and the rtx 6090 is out at the same time, what games would you even be able to run at 4k@1000fps even with a hypothetical 6090? Counterstrike?
My understanding of it is that a monitor running at 1000hz can use that to implement rolling frame to simulate how a CRT updated while the content would actually still be at 60-120hz.(And that wouldn't take a lot of computational power) Basically in this slowed down video updating like the screen on the left.(FWIW CRTs effectively update in the several hundred thousands of hz.)

Mr.Phoenix

Motion clarity.
But doesn't a game/GPU need to support it?

And maybe my eyes are whack, but even a 120hz display is motion-clear enough for me. To me, anything you need to freeze capture to point out, is not realistic.

You can draw each frame multiple times and get the clarity.
can you? If you draw each frame multiple times, it's still going to come off as persistence to the naked eye.

Eg.

If your game is refreshing at 100hz on a 1000Hz display, it means that you are drawing each frame 10 times. That is still going to appear as 10ms of persistence to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

But doesn't a game/GPU need to support it?

And maybe my eyes are whack, but even a 120hz display is motion-clear enough for me. To me, anything you need to freeze capture to point out, is not realistic.
If the content can run at 1000 fps then it's a matter hardware processing power.

But there's tricks to make 60-120 fps content have better motion clarity which do require some hardware support and a very high display Hz.

Motion clarity of a CRT at 60 Hz is still a league above that of an OLED at 120 Hz.

dave_d

If the content can run at 1000 fps then it's a matter hardware processing power.

But there's tricks to make 60-120 fps content have better motion clarity which do require some hardware support and a very high display Hz.

Motion clarity of a CRT at 60 Hz is still a league above that of an OLED at 120 Hz.
Just wanted to add you can see this with even SMB which was 30 or 60 hz but on a CRT. Here's the slow motion guys showing that so you can see how a CRT updates. (Effectively in excess of 300khz.) CRTs do look smoother because of how they update

StereoVsn

That’s great! Leather jacket man just unveiled new Nvidia GPU cards at $70k a pop. Throw in a 100 of those in a cluster and you can game at glorious 4K 1000hz!

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member

Just wanted to add you can see this with even SMB which was 30 or 60 hz but on a CRT. Here's the slow motion guys showing that so you can see how a CRT updates. (Effectively in excess of 300khz.) CRTs do look smoother because of how they update

So we could theoretically recreate this line-by-line technique on a 1000hz monitor!? Would that lead to much better motion clarity?

Akuji

Dota 2, League of Legends, Counter Strike, Rainbox six siege, Minecraft, Roblox, Warcraft 3, WoW Classic, Fortnite in esport settings maybe?
U dont actually need to hit 1000fps at all times, even just the input lag would be insane, if you move your hand 3ms after the screen refreshed its last frame and ur on a 120hz panel. then u would need to wait 5 seconds for it to display, with this tech the next frame is always only 1ms away at the worst ;)

dave_d

So we could theoretically recreate this line-by-line technique on a 1000hz monitor!? Would that lead to much better motion clarity?
I don't think you could do line by line(Since you would need hundreds of thousands of hertz refresh) but I think what blur buster was getting at is you could do something similar to the Sony PVM-1741 in that video and that would be pretty much indistinguishable from a crt from a motion clarity point of view. (While not requiring the content be updated at 1000hz.)

Holammer

I don't think you could do line by line(Since you would need hundreds of thousands of hertz refresh) but I think what blur buster was getting at is you could do something similar to the Sony PVM-1741 in that video and that would be pretty much indistinguishable from a crt from a motion clarity point of view. (While not requiring the content be updated at 1000hz.)
Probably in the region of 12-15M hz to recreate the CRTs line by line drawing method. Someone do the math.

Audiophile

60fps + future frame gen to 240fps + black frame insertion 3:1 + much, much brighter displays (probably QDEL, MicroLED or QD-OLED + all using improved micro lens arrays)

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm more astonished how some manufacturers like Samsung are pushing for 8k when not even 4k became the overall norm worldwide.

I wish I could watch everything in 4k, but that it is and will keep being a pipe dream for good 5+ years.
Sadly, the "Now in 8K, 16 times the pixels of 4K!" is MUCH easier to market to the rubes than "Higher framerates have improved clarity even if the resolution hasn't changed". Just look at how shitty a lot of '4K' screens or content really is. Even if the lines of data are there, the source is LOADED with compression artifacts, bad color depth, or dodgy frame rate extrapolation. Yet it sells.

dave_d

Probably in the region of 12-15M hz to recreate the CRTs line by line drawing method. Someone do the math.
It's got to be something like that. I mean to completely reproduce a CRT not only would you have to draw line by line but you'd also have to have the pixels get bright and then have the brightness of individual pixels decay. Isn't it like 2ms for each pixel? (It's not a constant brightness for that time.)

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Sadly, the "Now in 8K, 16 times the pixels of 4K!" is MUCH easier to market to the rubes than "Higher framerates have improved clarity even if the resolution hasn't changed". Just look at how shitty a lot of '4K' screens or content really is. Even if the lines of data are there, the source is LOADED with compression artifacts, bad color depth, or dodgy frame rate extrapolation. Yet it sells.
I think manufacturers would have to create a new buzzword/marketing term for their motion clarity. Apple calls their 120 hz displays "Pro Motion," so something like "True Motion," or something like that would help sell it.

Doom 2016. I'm actually waiting waiting for 1000hz displays before my second playthrough. Hope I'm still alive by then.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Probably right place to ask. Are Samsung 8K TVs better or worse for gaming than 4K ones? I have personally no desire to go past 4K but our AV company has specced a top of the line panel to our new house and it happens to be 8K.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Over 4k is useless
Current hardware isn't even able to run 4k after 10 years
And I can't imagine how expensive it will get to produce such content anyway, 4K is even demanding for content creators.

I hope now they start focusing on color accuracy and motion clarity, afaik the next step would be to have a 1000+Hz screen running games at 30, 60, 120, etc. FPS.

Top Bottom