• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens accused of putting a crying baby in a fridge and posting the video on Snapchat

Baby in the fridge defense force! Gaf does have em all!
I mean he kinda has a point. Obviously it's still horrible, but putting a baby in a 35 degree environment for a couple of seconds as a "joke" isn't going to do any real physical damage. If they put the baby in there for a longer period, perhaps as punishment for crying or something, that's much more serious. It's not clear how long the baby was in there.

There's a way to do this joke without leaving a baby in a fucking fridge.

Adventures_03d081_2358677.jpg

That's amateur hour. Who puts something in the oven without preheating it?

Eh, my older brother and sister used to spin me on the lazy susan when I was a baby. Family are assholes to each other. I'd consider closing the fridge door and/or snapchatting it is too far though, teens should know better.

Alienfan

They should obviously be punished, but man these "they should be in juvenile prison" comments are a bit extreme. I remember kids doing much worse things to each other growing up, hell I'd even put parents who smack their children above this - yet that's some how legal

As a parent, I'd press charges and demand they do jail time. Don't give a damn if one was my niece or my sister or any relation.

Fuck that. Sticking my baby in a fridge as a joke?

Get the hell out of here.

I'm glad they got arrested. Hope they enjoy being stuck in a jail cell.

Neece

My older brother put me inside a suitcase, zipped it up, and carried me upstairs when I was a kid. He convinced me it would be fun.

It wasn't.

As a parent, I'd press charges and demand they do jail time. Don't give a damn if one was my niece or my sister or any relation.

jail time for this? come on son

aliengmr

Personally I would prefer the parents handle it. If the 90's taught me anything it's that locking kids up does fuck all but limit future opportunities, well after they learned the error of their ways.

If it were my kid that did that I would rain hellfire upon him, there would be a reckoning, after which he will have learned his lesson without dealing with a fucked up justice system that doesn't give a single fuck about correcting behavior.

Seriously, jailing teens for stupid shit is not the answer and never has been.

Astral Dog

What if it was your daughter?

RMI

Banned
social media was a mistake. on the one hand, putting a baby in the fridge for a short period of time is probably harmless. On the other hand, fucking why do you even have to do this dumb shit?

My older brother put me inside a suitcase, zipped it up, and carried me upstairs when I was a kid. He convinced me it would be fun.

It wasn't.

could've been worse, he could have pushed you down the stairs.

Zakalwe

Banned
I gave my friend shrooms and he climbed inside my fridge.

That was distressing for both of us.

Babies shouldn't go in fridges, even for a few seconds.

Alienfan

Do these kids realize that you can suffocate inside a fridge?

I actually didn't know that until someone told me when we were watching a TV show about someone hiding in a fridge. If they never told me, I'm not sure I would have known.

Was it The Left Overs, because that was the show that taught me Fridges were air tight. Would never have given it much thought otherwise

Fucking hell. Forget about just the cold or being stuck in the dark suddenly. If those idiots had left that baby in the fridge for even a short amount of time it could have suffocated to death. Kids used to die all the time in fridges before they passed a law making it required that it could be opened from the inside. No help to a baby.

Fucking hell. Forget about just the cold or being stuck in the dark suddenly. If those idiots had left that baby in the fridge for even a short amount of time it could have suffocated to death. Kids used to die all the time in fridges before they passed a law making it required that it could be opened from the inside. No help to a baby.

Yeah but who cares about that when there's potential temporary internet fame.

KaYotiX

Banned
If they dont play blue whale or pour hot water over themselves they put babys in fridges.

Wtf is wrong with these teens jesus.

No shit, when I was growing up I never had the slightest intention of doing any of this stupid crap teens do nowadays.

Wtf is wrong with the youth?

Zakalwe

Banned
No shit, when I was growing up I never had the slightest intention of doing any of this stupid crap teens do nowadays.

People have always been idiots, it's just that now we get to see it more often because of social media and cameras.

Do these kids realize that you can suffocate inside a fridge?

I actually didn't know that until someone told me when we were watching a TV show about someone hiding in a fridge. If they never told me, I'm not sure I would have known.

That's why I'm even more horrified. The whole fridge death thing was still an issue/highlighted when I was a kid, but today? I bet you they had no clue. Scares me to think about if they had left that baby in there for even a minute.

Yeah but who cares about that when there's potential temporary internet fame.

This kind of stuff really makes me feel old. Like, just...why? I know it's all stupid behavior amplified by social media and the internet, but jesus. Some of it's just beyond the pale.

Famassu

You didn't, others did. A portion of the population has always been dumb/twisted in the head. If you think teens haven't done dumb shit since the dawn of humankind, then you might want to educate yourself on the matter. You just notice it more because these things go viral nowadays & are spread all over the interwebz worldwide.

That said, current society slashing mental healthcare, education etc. budgets doesn't necessarily help with matters. Still, it's not necessarily because of that that some teens do idiotic stuff like this.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I mean he kinda has a point. Obviously it's still horrible, but putting a baby in a 35 degree environment for a couple of seconds as a "joke" isn't going to do any real physical damage. If they put the baby in there for a longer period, perhaps as punishment for crying or something, that's much more serious. It's not clear how long the baby was in there.

Not sure if serious.

You have no idea what levels of subconscious fear this could put on a child that age. Or actual, fully realised fear. Not to mention how children that age are sensitive to light/temperature changes.

What if it was your daughter?

I for one would be terrified that I was living out The Omen.

TheYanger

People have always been idiots, it's just that now we get to see it more often because of social media and cameras.

It's not people doing the same stupid shit though, it's people feeling bolstered and encouraged to one up stupid shit for their friends. The bravado that comes with social media is the real issue. 20 years ago you wouldn't do this BECAUSE WHAT IS THE POINT? You can't just randomly show everyone on snapchat, so you and your friend go "Man, it'd be nice to put this annoying baby in the fridge" and have a giggle. Yeah, that's also stupid, but tis' a far fucking cry from actually doing it.

That's what social media adds to the equation, not just 'oh people did this and didn't get caught'

Zakalwe

Banned
It's not people doing the same stupid shit though, it's people feeling bolstered and encouraged to one up stupid shit for their friends. The bravado that comes with social media is the real issue. 20 years ago you wouldn't do this BECAUSE WHAT IS THE POINT? You can't just randomly show everyone on snapchat, so you and your friend go "Man, it'd be nice to put this annoying baby in the fridge" and have a giggle. Yeah, that's also stupid, but tis' a far fucking cry from actually doing it.

That's what social media adds to the equation, not just 'oh people did this and didn't get caught'

Yes, it's amplified. People have always had this idiotic potential though, which was my point.

social media was a mistake. on the one hand, putting a baby in the fridge for a short period of time is probably harmless. On the other hand, fucking why do you even have to do this dumb shit?

Teenagers (and adults) do a lot of stupid shit for attention, social media/the internet has cranked it up to plaid.

KHlover

Banned
Should have done it like that dad a couple years back and just kept it to photos of the baby in the fridge, oven, washing machine etc. Don't recall anyone ever calling for that guy's head.

Top Bottom