• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TenTonHammer (MMO site) gives E3 best of show to Everquest Next

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, it seems MMO sites liked what they were shown behind doors.

TenTonHammer said:

Heading into E3 2013 we knew the competition for our attention would be fierce, as there were a lot of excellent games being shown. However, when it came to selecting our Best of Show recipient, it was abundantly clear from the word go that one title clearly stood out from the crowd.

Ten Ton Hammer's Best of Show for E3 2013 goes to…

EverQuest Next - Best of Show

We’ve been looking forward to EverQuest Next for quite some time now. Even though our expectations heading into our private viewing during E3 were high, EverQuest Next exceeded those expectations on all fronts.

While we are sworn to secrecy on exactly what we were shown, what we can say is that EverQuest Next was hands-down the best game we had the pleasure of seeing during E3 2013. Franchise fans and MMO gamers across the globe will be able to learn exactly why that’s the case on August 2nd during SOE Live when EQNext is given its grand unveiling.

Trust us when we say that you’ll want to mark that date on your calendar, and be prepared to bask in the warm glow of EverQuest Next in all its glory. In the meantime, kudos to the folks over at SOE for winning our Best of Show award; we’re as excited as you are to witness the impact EverQuest Next is surely going to have on gamers this August!
Source: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/251130/page/8

Kalnos

Banned
I'm interested because it's a sandbox supposedly and my favorite part of MMOs were the server communities (e.g. like vanilla WoW before cross-realm stuff). I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

thats two sites (mmo sites) to make the claim

wondering if it'll hit ps4

Probably.

1tfo4S5.png

98Ph26e.png

johnsmith

remember me
I'd love to try this. I'm sick of WoW style theme park mmos, but the space setting of Eve doesn't appeal to me. A fantasy (I'm assuming) sandbox would be great.

Jawmuncher

To get me back onto 'MMOs its going to have to be something substanial and new. Not another WoW clone like Elder Scrolls is shaping up to be.

Though oddly enough I still really want to play FF14 and I'm not a MMO guy at all.

Fezan

So is SOE big now and profitable now. they have scrapped the whole game twice now and with other many cancelled MMO during ps3 era

Fou-Lu

EQNext could probably actually get me back into MMOs, although if Sega ever brings over PSO2 that'll do it first.

So what's known about the game so far? They seem to be pretty excited. Although, there is always huge hype with every new mmo thats pops up.

Vyrance

My most hyped game right now. Glad to hear that people seeing it are loving it so far. Of course, I logged in probably 600 days in EQ1 and played EQ2 a while as well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If they have moved away from the "click A to attack" standard of all the other mmos out there I'll give it a shot... if the gameplay is the same thing we've been seeing come out of MMO studios for years now it won't matter how unique or pretty or polished it looks. It will fail like everything else has..

Loved the first EQ back in the day. Hope they get this right...

gogojira

Free to play or subscription?

Free to play with subscription options, 99.999999 percent guaranteed. Some people haven't embraced it, but any MMO not trying for a very specific niche will drop subscriptions because the market has spoken against it.

PlanetSide 2 is actually a really high quality F2P game and I hear Rift is very, very generous with its content.

Kalnos

Banned
So what's known about the game so far? They seem to be pretty excited. Although, there is always huge hype with every new mmo thats pops up.

The biggest thing is that it's a sandbox game like Eve. e.g. The content is a result of interaction between the members of the community.

Coins

Banned
I will pay 50 bucks a month for no instancing, rare contested mobs and guild vs. guild drama.

Please. I swear I'll throw my hard earned money at you.

gogojira

There is an official site, too. It gives you some links of devs -- pretty cool people and very responsive. My nostalgia for EQ is through the roof and EQ2 was a big letdown for me, but EQ Next on paper (what we know, anyways) sounds amazing.

Not much is know, but they are pushing "huge sandbox, down with themepark" really hard.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

We don't know very much at all. F2P, seamless Sandbox, PVP is a priority, storybricks integration, storybricks demonstration... that's about it. lol

interview with John Smedley

You mentioned last night that EQ Next will look like nothing we've ever seen. Will EQ Next still have the familiar feel to it that EQ fans are used to? How do you strike the balance between innovation and still staying true to the franchise?

I also said in there that it will still be very familiar to you, but what I meant by that statement is that we're changing what an MMO is. MMO means something now, and it means the same thing to everybody because it's the same game. EverQuest, WoW, SWTOR all use the same core loot gameplay, which is kill stuff, get reward, get loot, level up. Very few games have broken out of that mold. One or two have. EVE Online is a great example; it's not standard level-based gameplay, although I'm not saying we're going to a big skill-based system. You're still going to recognize the roleplaying game heritage in it. In EverQuest Next, the world itself is a part of the game. What is the world in these other games? It's a simple backdrop. It's nothing. We are changing that greatly. We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making.

At GDC last week, you also talked about how quickly traditional MMO content is consumed and how that plays into your decision to adopt a philosophy toward emergent gameplay. The question comes up about how that affects the future of raid content -- something that takes a lot of time to design and is usually played by only a portion of the community. What are your thoughts on that?

This is a very interesting question. I think it's at the core of why what we're doing is sustainable. I'll go right to the heart of the matter. You get to the point where we make an expansion, and when I say we, I mean the entire MMO community. You make your expansion, the real hardcore players consume it in a month, and they're doing the raids over and over and over until the next round of live content that we put in. Typically, three or four times a year, we as MMO companies put new endgame in there to keep the raiders happy.

We absolutely need to build that style of content into every game we make because players want that. We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction. Imagine seasons changing. Imagine if you're a Druid and you need to literally seek out reagents for your spells or worship your deity in a glade somewhere off in the wilderness, but you don't know where. Or image forests growing back after they're burned to the ground by invading forces. What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it.

no information in this video, but a little insight into the philosophy behind the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-MEgLXKXs

Skip to 51:30 to listen to what the Producer says about what will be happening at SoE Live: http://www.twitch.tv/soe/b/416468155

Edit: this is all of the information that I can think of off the top of my head.

Top Bottom