• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hill: "White supremacy isn’t just for old white men"

boiled goose

good with gravy
Link to the original article:

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...4-white-supremacy-isnt-just-for-old-white-men

Select Quotes
To some pundits, the election of Donald Trump signaled the “last gasp of the white conservative baby boomer.” [...] unsure how to adapt to a future guided by the progressive politics of 18- to 34-year-olds, America’s largest and most diverse generation.

However...

The “Unite the Right” riot was organized by Jason Kessler and Richard Spencer — both UVA graduates in their 30s

whites of all ages voted for Trump, including a plurality of young white voters.

white millennials vote a lot more like whites than millennials

Millennials are not progressive because they are millennials, they are progressive because they are diverse.

This could explain why 69 percent of white millennials believe it is important white people work together to improve the position of their racial group, despite the fact that over 84 percent rank themselves as having the most economic and political power in the country.

White resentment is real and a threat to white privilege and supremacy is driving it.

Well yeah, that was pretty apparent in Charlottesville:

081317-news-charlottesville-torch-march-university-of-virginia.jpg

SeanC

Is that what most of the country assumes?

Because the internet has been proving otherwise for a while now.

snap

Banned
difference is that the fraction of young people following this crap is smaller than the fraction of old people following this crap, inherently because of demographics

in other words, if every white male betweenn 20-30 years of age was a white supremacist (they're not but just follow me) they'd make up a smaller piece of the pie within their age group than if every white male between 60-70 was a white supremacist.

so while this ideology will live on it'll struggle to keep the same relative amount of power.

Guevara

It was a fun joke 10-15 years ago to think we were going to age-out into a permanent progressive era, but does anyone believe that now?

If asked some might say "I once voted for Obama, but now I like Trump's America." -facepalm-

Seriously, why is my generation now so full of supremacy fuckwits?

Strike

Yeah, which is exactly why we can't just ignore them and wait for this thing to just "die out". It needs to be fought head on. Not just by minorities, but more importantly by white moderates who are unwilling to ruffle feathers.

Nepenthe

Well, duh. Maintain a country on its racist and manifest destiny foundations while keeping white people broke as the rest of us, and no shit white men are gonna start turning to the only thing that gives them a leg up on everyone else. This is not surprising.

KingK

Millennials are not progressive because they are millennials, they are progressive because they are diverse.

I've said this exact line and made the general point in the article so many fucking times to other millennials.

While I don't disagree with the overall idea of the article (that white supremacy is still a problem in younger generations) the survey that they're citing and the way they pull data from those numbers is a bit misleading if you look at the actual survey. The way questions are phrased can have a lot to do with the responses you get.

Diversity is really what's driving millennials being progressive though. I mean, there are still a lot of states where young white people are still raised by hardcore conservatives. That's not gonna change much.

Top Bottom