• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The injustice of The Game Awards.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Jesper Kyd is the game-scoring GOAT. I had the ACII score on a loop forever, it's a my favourite game to this day for atmosphere and it's 50% because of that score. Wandering the rooftops of night-time Venice with those tracks is still my greatest gaming memory. The nostalgia I have for that time is brutal. It's amazing how dead those games felt as soon as he left.

I'll make sure to take a listen to this too.

ost-is-rad-as-hell-v0-ia0q16zhep0a1.jpg

Darktide's music reminds me of bygone times when games didn't have to be orchestral and in the background. It's a bit more wub-wub Dubstep influenced than I'd like, but that fact that I would actually notice it in a game makes it instantly better than most of what's in games I've played in recent years.
I don't know if it's the same of what you are saying, but I was also thinking how now we get very less memorable "tunes" from games due to all of them being like "grand" so to speak. I am talking about Sonic Green Hill, Digimon World File City, Ragnarok Online Prontera Theme, Final Fantasy To Zanarkand (or mostly every song), etc

Ribi

Wait Todd Howard is gnna be there?

Ok but I've been saying this for a month, Atomic Heart was SNUBBED AND ROBBED of art direction. It was gnna win

calistan

It's an expansion, not a DLC and it was nominated in other categories (best narrative for example).
What's the difference? You still have to own the original game.

I think every inclusion of the Cyberpunk DLC/E in this year's awards is basically an honorary mention to acknowledge how far the game has come in the last three years. It's for Cyberpunk the complete package, not specifically the bonus missions or whatever.

nial

Gold Member
Not only does it have music but it has pretty darn great music! Also has some really fantastic design where the music is divided into phases (within temples for example) and ramps up as you’re getting closer to the finish.

Although there’s still plenty of other games I’d pick before it for the music award.

It was a joke post, but as someone who has only played BOTW, I personally found it to be rather empty in this aspect save for a few great tunes. Maybe I need to play it again someday...

Robb

Gold Member
It was a joke post, but as someone who has only played BOTW, I personally found it to be rather empty in this aspect save for a few great tunes. Maybe I need to play it again someday...
Yeah, while I think TOTK is a lot better in the OST department relative to BOTW it’s still lacking compared to past Zelda’s imo.

Jesper Kyd is the game-scoring GOAT. I had the ACII score on a loop forever, it's a my favourite game to this day for atmosphere and it's 50% because of that score. Wandering the rooftops of night-time Venice with those tracks is still my greatest gaming memory. The nostalgia I have for that time is brutal. It's amazing how dead those games felt as soon as he left.

I'll make sure to take a listen to this too.

You know, it's funny, Jesper Kyd is one of the first Videogame composers that I can remember learning about after hearing Chaos Theory as a teen. I remember specifically really loving that soundtrack and how much it stood out to me. And Kyd has gone on to do even better things than that since.

Godot25

Banned
Whole "awards" aspect of show is laughable
From nominations in many categories to the actual "giving the awards" part of the show.

How many awards were given on big stage? 4? 5? And one of them for best tv series based on game (wtf?).

Keighley just need to drop the act and start calling TGA with real name. It's winter E3. It's not award show with game reveals but game reveal show with awards.

I'm in the gym now lifting for The Emperor of Mankind. I'll say I've not listened to the whole soundtrack in a while. Mostly picked a few tracks to add to my playlist.

It's so sickly brooding and dark. Perfectly fits that game.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I was going to laugh but since ai saw Jesper Kyd I just had to post this

You know I love the amount of people who came into the thread expecting to shit on the post only to either come away wanting to listen to the sound track or already knowing the Composer is fucking excellent and loved his prior scores.

The first guy who posted literally put up a "lol didn't read" meme picture and then removed it.

It's not me doing that, it's all Jesper.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't know what to say to you, but I can say this much, anyone who has played the game that won that award, would find themselves still humming certain parts of it years from now. I don't see that happening with your game.

FF16 has one helluva of score, and if you don't think so, then maybe you aren't as open to music as you think you are.

Then again, this is all subjective.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I don't know what to say to you, but I can say this much, anyone who has played the game that won that award, would find themselves still humming certain parts of it years from now. I don't see that happening with your game.

FF16 has one helluva of score, and if you don't think so, then maybe you aren't as open to music as you think you are.

Then again, this is all subjective.

As someone who owns the physical OST for 16 its mostly filler (which is normal for game soundtracks). The difference is Darktide has the solid consistantancy to have those fillers mean something rather than be throw away. There's a fair few tracks that make you shiver with cold (which is their intent) or add to the awe of the golden statues lining a hive city street. Something people outside of the movie or game OST space don't consider is the context of the track, and how much lifting that filler does, its got an almost material like quality that matches the surrounding art direction of that stage when the music plays.

If the requirement for greatest OST is that its all catchy and you hum it, then DK64 was robbed back in the day, I can still remember the lyrics for that one. Can you remember the track that plays when your running about the dunes? What about the vineyards? Or the first homebase? Do you remember them at all? How about just how they made you feel during those periods? It's just there, filler. All the big shit you can remember, the phase changes, how they made you feel pumped, so what's missing?

This comes from a guy who went and did audio and lighting back in the day before falling into a very short and ill fated career in videogame development because of a passion for this shit. So no need to get all personal with the attacks on my ability to hear. I was rooting for 16 out the selection (although I did have soft spot for Hi-Fi because they made some great tracks no one will ever hear as you have to turn off licenced music by switching on streamer mode) but its just not Darktide.

Darktide has this consistency that helps the world tell a story to the player through its audio and its the OST that does all the lifting, its a real unicorn in the OST space because of that. The damn thing only came out on vinyl though, they need a lossless blu-ray audio release like square do, the damn digital OST is MP3 too, its a crime. Vinyl is not a good format for superior audio clarity (despite what some people claim)

Last edited:
It's not even a popularity awards show considering the most popular game of 2023 was treated as non-existent

C'mon man, all those games there was popular af. If you are saying about a single game, also wrong imo.

Im not saying if a game won or not, all games there are popular, so if a certain game won, is the last important part (because the game is popular), and i was not even talking about that...

Popular games mate, that's it.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

As someone who owns the physical OST for 16 its mostly filler (which is normal for game soundtracks). The difference is Darktide has the solid consistantancy to have those fillers mean something rather than be throw away. There's a fair few tracks that make you shiver with cold (which is their intent) or add to the awe of the golden statues lining a hive city street. Something people outside of the movie or game OST space don't consider is the context of the track, and how much lifting that filler does, its got an almost material like quality that matches the surrounding art direction of that stage when the music plays.

If the requirement for greatest OST is that its all catchy and you hum it, then DK64 was robbed back in the day, I can still remember the lyrics for that one. Can you remember the track that plays when your running about the dunes? What about the vineyards? Or the first homebase? Do you remember them at all? How about just how they made you feel during those periods? It's just there, filler. All the big shit you can remember, the phase changes, how they made you feel pumped, so what's missing?

This comes from a guy who went and did audio and lighting back in the day before falling into a very short and ill fated career in videogame development because of a passion for this shit. So no need to get all personal with the attacks on my ability to hear. I was rooting for 16 out the selection (although I did have soft spot for Hi-Fi because they made some great tracks no one will ever hear as you have to turn off licenced music by switching on streamer mode) but its just not Darktide.

Darktide has this consistency that helps the world tell a story to the player through its audio and its the OST that does all the lifting, its a real unicorn in the OST space because of that. The damn thing only came out on vinyl though, they need a lossless blu-ray audio release like square do, the damn digital OST is MP3 too, its a crime. Vinyl is not a good format for superior audio clarity (despite what some people claim)
I did point out... that this is all subjective. And that's just it, the second we start comparing what one person likes over the other, then the argument becomes pointless because everyone's tastes are different.

That however illustrates why "catchy" music tends to win more awards. More people can simply relate to them.

A bad game with great soundtrack and atmosphere is probably one of the most painful things to me in the medium.
One of the things I hate about modern day 8 bit pixel art games is they usually have a great modern sounds. If your going to go all old blocky you should also use old school sounds.
Soundtracks just wasted.

Dr_Salt

Soken's FF16 OST is genuinely an amazing piece of art and one of the best soundtracks I have heard in gaming. His win was well deserved.

Guilty_AI

One of the things I hate about modern day 8 bit pixel art games is they usually have a great modern sounds. If your going to go all old blocky you should also use old school sounds.
Soundtracks just wasted.
Many choose 8-16 bit art more for budget reasons than aesthetic ones. I think its perfectly fine to mix modern and retro, no need to always rigidly stay in a single lane.

MiguelItUp

I almost forgot how good the Darktide OST is because I haven't played it in awhile. The Lies of P soundtrack is really good too. I was surprised it wasn't nominated.

Soundtracks just wasted.
There's so many wasted soundtracks.

Is such great cyberpunk/futuristic music that is wasted on the game it's been put on.

Piggoro

The music and the cinematic shots of the submarine in the Freedom Fighters intro still gets me. Like the Killzone intro with the speech, it gets you pumped.

Saw this video a few weeks ago. An opera singer reacting to Disposal Unit and pointing out all the interesting things it does.

Freedom Fighters is one game that I NEED I DESIRE a complete remaster. 100% modern graphics with all bells and whistles but not changed in any other aspects one bit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
STARSBarry STARSBarry Just dropped: WH40K Darktide Vol.2 Soundtrack

Enjoy!

Edit: first track and I'm already vibing

Jimmy Fallon Dancing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I guess that means that's all the new tracks we will be getting for awhile then :(

As these are a collection of some that been added over the past year (along with one I haven't heard yet, which I suspect will become known sometime this week with some sort or Surprise part 3 reveal)

Hogwarts Legacy had a fantastically orchestrated score. While it didn't offer any real bangers, it certainly did elevate the game and helped make you feel like you were in the Harry Potter universe. It's a disgrace that Hogwarts Legacy was shunned at the awards the way it was; it was clearly well received and sold incredibly well.

Top Bottom