• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mormon Church is accused of hoarding vast amounts of charitable donations, using the money for businesses

Romulus

My ex was a Mormon who had officially left the church years before I met her. BUT, all her family was still full-blown Mormon, so for holidays and get togethers I got to interact with them and it was one of the strangest family dynamics ever. VERY much male dominated, the dad was full in control of the house and mom just cooked and cleaned and was very subservient. Also, and I"m not exaggerating here, the ONLY thing they watched on tv was Disney movies. That's it! Some of their tons of kids were late teens early 20's and still at the house just watching nothing but Disney movies. It's a bit like an alternate world.

Same shit for me. Exactly the same. Bizarre folks. There were also people that were Christians there and I remember them having a religious discussion.

There are some verses in galatians and revelations that absolutely pissed mormons off to no end if its brought up. Something about not adding anything to the bible. Its a warning mentioned twice at least and that's exactly what the mormon church did. I had no idea what was going on but it was funny to see them try and pick and choose which verses they accepted.

To me, the whole mormon thing just sounds like an elaborate story so their founder could have multiple wives. I've heard Joseph Smith's story a few times and it sounds completely ridiculous to me.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Same shit for me. Exactly the same. Bizarre folks. There were also people that were Christians there and I remember them having a religious discussion.

There are some verses in galatians and revelations that absolutely pissed mormons off to no end if its brought up. Something about not adding anything to the bible. Its a warning mentioned twice at least and that's exactly what the mormon church did. I had no idea what was going on but it was funny to see them try and pick and choose which verses they accepted.

To me, the whole mormon thing just sounds like an elaborate story so their founder could have multiple wives. I've heard Joseph Smith's story a few times and it sounds completely ridiculous to me.

Mormon retort: the quotes about adding things are being taken out of context, and the order of the books in The Bible wasn’t set by any prophet. The Book of Revelation, for example, wasn’t always the last book so what say you??

Point 1: translations aren’t perfect and it’s easy to read things one way or another and in the original language it could mean this or also mean that but also be a metaphor for....

Point 2: Constantine. Am I right? Why did that guy get to make the Bible what is is? Why was anything canon...canon after Christ?

Point 3: the whole point of Mormonism is Christianity had become corrupt and needed to be restored. The whole time period of Joseph smith and Brigham Young is referred to as “the restoration,” so lol at your imperfect interpretation of the imperfect bible. The Catholic Church was called the great abomination and whore of the earth until efforts were beginning to be made to mainstream Mormonism several decades ago.

Point 4: Joseph Smith was just a smooth tongued, rather intelligent narcissist running a con. It’s a tale as old as time. He was insecure coming from a poor family, he had a knack for fooling people, he’d shit talk to no end about anyone who opposed him, he really wanted to fuck and invented a theological justification to do so...

...it’s just amazing to me people can see right through his BS and fall for what seems to me to be exactly the same shit, whether it’s Trump or Falwell or whoever else. Yeah that guy Joe Smith was obviously a crook! But if I donate my $100 to Jerry I’ll git muh blessins and...

How ill you explain this post when you are forced to stand before Zeus in the last trimester?

Romulus

Mormon retort: the quotes about adding things are being taken out of context, and the order of the books in The Bible wasn’t set by any prophet. The Book of Revelation, for example, wasn’t always the last book so what say you??

Point 1: translations aren’t perfect and it’s easy to read things one way or another and in the original language it could mean this or also mean that but also be a metaphor for....

Point 2: Constantine. Am I right? Why did that guy get to make the Bible what is is? Why was anything canon...canon after Christ?

Point 3: the whole point of Mormonism is Christianity had become corrupt and needed to be restored. The whole time period of Joseph smith and Brigham Young is referred to as “the restoration,” so lol at your imperfect interpretation of the imperfect bible. The Catholic Church was called the great abomination and whore of the earth until efforts were beginning to be made to mainstream Mormonism several decades ago.

Point 4: Joseph Smith was just a smooth tongued, rather intelligent narcissist running a con. It’s a tale as old as time. He was insecure coming from a poor family, he had a knack for fooling people, he’d shit talk to no end about anyone who opposed him, he really wanted to fuck and invented a theological justification to do so...

...it’s just amazing to me people can see right through his BS and fall for what seems to me to be exactly the same shit, whether it’s Trump or Falwell or whoever else. Yeah that guy Joe Smith was obviously a crook! But if I donate my $100 to Jerry I’ll git muh blessins and...

I don't know any of those things, just saying the Christians there definitely had them pinned with no way out. I just observed a group of Elders and Christian Deacons going at from the outside perspective and the Christians definitely came out on top. I thought it was fascinating to observe that Mormons that were so high in their respective church couldn't discount the argument from the Christians. It was a long time ago.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don't know any of those things, just saying the Christians there definitely had them pinned with no way out. I just observed a group of Elders and Christian Deacons going at from the outside perspective and the Christians definitely came out on top. I thought it was fascinating to observe that Mormons that were so high in their respective church couldn't discount the argument from the Christians. It was a long time ago.

Mormons get ordained to be "Elders" at 18/19...it doesn't really mean shit. I've been a Mormon Elder.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Mormons get ordained to be "Elders" at 18/19...it doesn't really mean shit. I've been a Mormon Elder.
Moromon males are given "the priesthood" at 15 or 16. "Elder" is the title of a church member who has been on a mission (that that member or their parent paid for the privilege for them to go on.)

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Moromon males are given "the priesthood" at 15 or 16. "Elder" is the title of a church member who has been on a mission (that that member or their parent paid for the privilege for them to go on.)

Well...I was ordained a deacon at 12, a teacher at 14, a priest at 16, and (because I felt unworthy and needed to become so) an elder at 19, instead of 18 like my roommates in college my freshman year.

Trust me, I know Mormonism is a fraud and I’ve formally removed myself from it, however if you want to know the ranks, I can help you out. I’ve been an ordained deacon, teacher, priest, and elder in the church. After all that it’s almost superfluous

I will say, I miss Hitokage for his challenging of my understandings of the faith and, when I expressed my rejection of it, wanting to know why. He really planted the seeds I needed to rethink my indoctrination. I didn’t think the shit he said was real until I experienced it myself.........goddammit..the man never lied. I thought he did, until I saw what he saw...

RIP my brother Hitokage, your influence lives on. My own children are better off because of you. And I know of others who’ve been effected in the same way...

I also got to say, that I am still in awe that people consider our church something other than Christian, although our entire religion centers on Christ and him being the Son of God. Or how even the Book of Mormon is nothing but "Another testament of Jesus Christ". Guess we believe in that "other" Jesus.

In any case, have an awesome Christmas, or gift exchange day if you're atheist, as many of you seem to be.

My ex was a Mormon who had officially left the church years before I met her. BUT, all her family was still full-blown Mormon, so for holidays and get togethers I got to interact with them and it was one of the strangest family dynamics ever. VERY much male dominated, the dad was full in control of the house and mom just cooked and cleaned and was very subservient. Also, and I"m not exaggerating here, the ONLY thing they watched on tv was Disney movies. That's it! Some of their tons of kids were late teens early 20's and still at the house just watching nothing but Disney movies. It's a bit like an alternate world.

This is hilarious. Especially since you base your entire perception on one family and the lense in which you frame that interaction. I am what you would call a "full-blown Mormon". Let me tell you, my wife and I watch plenty of non-Disney films. My top three films: Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club, and Dumb and Dumber. I am also quite excited to see the upcoming 1917 film. Seems right up my alley. I mean I guess we just purchased Disney+, but then again, who hasn't?

My wife works (although our first kid is coming soon, so she'll be taking a break). I'm 31. Guess I probably should have had 7 children by now yeah? Although I think we are pretty solid with the idea of 3. I'll also let you know my wife will say she is in charge and I do the dishes at least half the time. Although I try not to.

I do know there are families like the one you met. I am certain there is no commandment from God saying "thou shalt watch only Disney movies", but there are other commandments, and how they interpret those for their own life is up to them. My life is up to me. We are both trying to be more Christlike each day and attempt to help each other doing it. That includes paying 10% of my income to God (through what I believe to be his church, that I believe only makes the world a better place). So the church put my money in a holding account for rainy days likely to come. I assure you, we use a significant amount to bless the lives of every day people. I also attend church regularly where I see normal people trying to be better and love their neighbor. Are any of us perfect? Nah, of course not. That is the entire purpose of Jesus Christ. Christmas is supposed to be about remembering that. If that is a "cult" then sure, I'll take it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom