• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] It’s time for Microsoft to build an Xbox Steam Deck

Should Microsoft make their own gaming handheld to compete with Steam Deck?

• Total voters

Yoda

Microsoft's gaming woes are not due to the form factor of their hardware. They need to remove their shitty corporate culture from their first party studios and (after the former point is complete) spend more money on AAA exclusives. Given how long it took them to shake up 343, I fear they simply cannot move fast enough to do this and will always be playing catch up to their competition (which has 1/10th the resources available).

Excited Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats
If that were to happen then how would Microsoft get the 30% cut from third parties and such? And would they still charge for online at that point also?

Chiggs

ChatGPT 4 weighs in:

Do you think Microsoft stands any chance at challenging Sony and Nintendo's reign of dominance in the console market?

Microsoft has several strategies and assets that position it to challenge Sony and Nintendo in the console market, but it faces significant challenges and competition.
Strengths of Microsoft:
  1. Xbox Game Pass: Microsoft's subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, is a major strength. It offers great value by giving subscribers access to a vast library of games, including new releases from Xbox Game Studios, on the day they launch. This model is increasingly attractive to consumers who prefer access over ownership.
  2. Cloud Gaming: Through Xbox Cloud Gaming (part of Game Pass Ultimate), Microsoft has embraced cloud gaming, allowing players to stream games to various devices without needing powerful hardware. This opens up Xbox gaming to a broader audience beyond traditional console owners.
  3. Cross-Platform Play: Microsoft has been a leader in promoting cross-platform play, enhancing the appeal of Xbox as a platform that doesn't restrict who you can play with, regardless of whether they're on PC, console, or mobile.
  4. Acquisitions and Partnerships: Microsoft has aggressively expanded its portfolio of game studios, including the acquisition of Blizzard/Activision and ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks. These moves, along with others, greatly enhances its game library, making its platforms more attractive.
Challenges and Competition:
  1. Brand Loyalty and Market Presence: Sony and Nintendo have very strong brand loyalty and a robust presence in many markets, especially in Japan and parts of Europe. Sony's PlayStation is known for its high-quality exclusives, and Nintendo's consoles appeal through unique hardware and beloved franchises.
  2. Hardware Sales: While the Xbox Series X and S consoles have performed well, historically, Sony’s PlayStation consoles have outsold Xbox globally. Nintendo's Switch also continues to sell exceptionally well, thanks to its unique hybrid design and strong game lineup.
  3. Exclusive Content: Sony and Nintendo have a strong lineup of exclusive games which are often system sellers. Microsoft has struggled in this area in past generations, though its recent acquisitions aim to rectify this.
  4. Market Dynamics: The video game market is rapidly evolving, with mobile gaming and new streaming services altering how and where people play games. Adapting to these changes while still investing in traditional console gaming is a significant challenge.
Future Prospects:
If Microsoft continues to innovate with services like Game Pass, expand its cloud gaming capabilities, and leverage its studio acquisitions to produce high-quality exclusives, it stands a good chance of increasing its market share and challenging the dominance of Sony and Nintendo. However, overtaking these competitors will require not just matching but exceeding their offerings in terms of game quality, unique features, and overall consumer value.

Give me a probability rating of that actually happening, based on what you know right now.

Assigning a precise probability rating to Microsoft's potential to challenge or surpass Sony and Nintendo in the console market involves numerous uncertainties and variables, many of which are unpredictable or subject to change. However, I can provide an educated guess based on current trends and industry dynamics.
Given the strength of Microsoft's strategy centered around Xbox Game Pass, its expansion into cloud gaming, and ongoing efforts to broaden its game studio portfolio, Microsoft is positioned to potentially increase its market share. Nevertheless, the entrenched dominance of Sony with PlayStation and Nintendo with its unique console offerings and IPs presents a formidable barrier.
Considering these factors:
  • Xbox Game Pass has been successful and is reshaping how players access and purchase games.
  • Cloud gaming is still in its early stages and its impact on the traditional console market is not fully clear yet.
  • Sony's strong lineup of exclusive games and brand loyalty.
  • Nintendo's unique market niche and consistent innovation in game design and hardware.
Estimated Probability:
  • Microsoft significantly challenging Sony and Nintendo: Moderate to High (60-70%). Microsoft could likely increase its competitiveness and market share, particularly in markets where digital services and cloud gaming gain traction.
  • Microsoft surpassing both Sony and Nintendo to become the dominant force in the global console market: Low to Moderate (20-30%). This would require not just competitive services and exclusive games, but also gaining significant ground in markets where Sony and Nintendo are deeply entrenched and where consumer habits may be slower to evolve.
These probabilities reflect current trends and the effectiveness of Microsoft's strategies. They could shift with new developments in technology, changes in consumer behavior, or strategic moves by any of the companies involved.

What if they created a handheld Xbox device, like the Steam Deck or Lenovo Legion Go?

Introducing a handheld Xbox device could significantly influence Microsoft's position in the gaming market, particularly against Sony and Nintendo. Here’s how this move might impact the various aspects of Microsoft’s gaming strategy:
Market Expansion:
  • A handheld Xbox would directly compete with Nintendo's Switch and the upcoming models like the Steam Deck and Lenovo Legion Go. This could help Microsoft capture a portion of the portable gaming market, which has been growing, especially in regions like Asia where mobile gaming is dominant.
Synergy with Existing Services:
  • The integration of Xbox Game Pass and cloud gaming into a handheld device would be a significant selling point. Users could access a large library of games on the go without needing expensive hardware upgrades. This continuity between home console and portable device could attract new customers and retain current ones.
Technological Innovation:
  • A handheld device would need to balance performance with battery life and portability. Microsoft’s expertise in hardware through its Surface devices could translate into designing a powerful yet efficient handheld gaming device.
Brand Loyalty and User Base:
  • An Xbox handheld could help Microsoft build stronger loyalty among its existing users by offering a more versatile gaming experience. It could also attract new users who prefer portable gaming but want access to Xbox's library and services.
Challenges:
  • Development and Production Costs: Entering the handheld market requires significant investment in R&D and production. Microsoft would need to ensure these costs are justified by the potential market share gains.
  • Market Competition: Nintendo dominates this space with the Switch, and Sony's previous attempts with the PSP and PS Vita provide lessons on the challenges in competing against Nintendo. Moreover, the emerging cloud gaming market with devices like the Steam Deck shows that there is interest, but also that competition is increasing.
  • Consumer Interest: While there is a market for handheld gaming, consumer interest in carrying multiple devices or choosing a handheld over a smartphone or a traditional console could vary. Microsoft would need to create a compelling reason for gamers to adopt another device.
Potential Impact on Probability of Challenging Sony and Nintendo:
  • Introducing a successful handheld Xbox could increase the probability of Microsoft challenging the dominance of Sony and Nintendo. It would enable Microsoft to compete in additional segments of the gaming market and capitalize on its strong services like Xbox Game Pass and cloud gaming.
  • This move could potentially increase Microsoft's chances of capturing a larger market share, especially if the device integrates well with their ecosystem and is priced competitively. The probability of Microsoft significantly challenging Sony and Nintendo could potentially rise to a Moderate to High range (70-80%) given the right execution and market conditions.
Ultimately, a lot would depend on the execution — the device's features, price point, game library, and how well it integrates with Microsoft's gaming ecosystem.

probability rating of it exceeding 30 million units in sales worldwide?

To evaluate the likelihood of a hypothetical handheld Xbox device exceeding 30 million units in worldwide sales, we can look at several factors, such as historical sales data of similar devices, market trends, and Microsoft's current market position.

Historical Context​

• Nintendo Switch: As a benchmark, the Nintendo Switch, a highly successful portable console, surpassed 30 million units within approximately two years of launch and has continued to sell well, showing strong demand for handheld gaming devices.
  • Sony PSP and PS Vita: Sony's PSP was quite successful, selling over 80 million units during its lifetime, while the PS Vita sold significantly fewer units, demonstrating the variability in this market segment.

Factors Influencing Success​

• Brand Strength and Market Penetration: Microsoft's Xbox brand is strong in North America and parts of Europe, but less so in Asia, where portable gaming is more popular.
  • Product Differentiation: The success of a handheld Xbox would heavily depend on how it differentiates itself from the Nintendo Switch and other portable devices. Features like seamless Game Pass integration, cloud gaming capabilities, and exclusive titles would be crucial.
  • Market Conditions at Launch: Timing and market conditions, including economic factors and competition at the time of release, would also play significant roles.
  • Price Point: Pricing would need to be competitive to attract a broad audience, especially against the established Nintendo Switch and other emerging portable gaming solutions.

Estimating Probability​

Given these considerations:
  • High Scenario: If Microsoft effectively capitalizes on its Game Pass and cloud gaming services, offers a competitively priced and well-differentiated product, and successfully markets the device globally, especially in Asia, the probability of selling over 30 million units could be Moderate (40-50%).
  • Low Scenario: Without strong differentiation from the Switch or compelling exclusive content, and if not competitively priced, the probability of reaching such sales figures could be Lower (20-30%).
In summary, the success of a handheld Xbox device in exceeding 30 million units worldwide is feasible but would require exceptionally strong execution on multiple fronts, particularly in market penetration, product differentiation, and pricing strategy. This places the overall probability in a cautiously optimistic range, depending on how well Microsoft addresses these key factors.

Last edited:
I think theyd do a great job and be a proper competition to Steam Deck in the way that they have the budget, they have their own huge game library like steam does which means the whole UI etc will be a gaming handheld and not Windows 11 that plays games in windowed mode. That is why i dont like the ROG and others. Feel like im getting ahandheld with all the jank of a PC included.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think theyd do a great job and be a proper competition to Steam Deck in the way that they have the budget, they have their own huge game library like steam does which means the whole UI etc will be a gaming handheld and not Windows 11 that plays games in windowed mode. That is why i dont like the ROG and others. Feel like im getting ahandheld with all the jank of a PC included.

I don't think it's competition so much to steam deck as it would be switch. For that reason you state though, the true console interface is more appealing to the masses.

I wonder what's more appealing to a casual gamer this fall.......a ps5 pro, or a more powerfull mobile console with console back catalog. (Wether it's Sony or ms)
I mean we know us hardcore gamers will snap up a pro, but what about the masses?

Last edited:

phant0m

Microsoft's gaming woes are not due to the form factor of their hardware. They need to remove their shitty corporate culture from their first party studios and (after the former point is complete) spend more money on AAA exclusives. Given how long it took them to shake up 343, I fear they simply cannot move fast enough to do this and will always be playing catch up to their competition (which has 1/10th the resources available).
It’s Big Company SyndromeTM

There are too many layers/levels that need to approve strategic and even tactical changes, committees, etc etc.

They would do two skus - one would be under powered with a poor screen and one would be high powered but the battery life would be 30 mins. One of the face buttons would stick on all the high powered units or not register.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They could bring a new version of Windows that's designed to work with a handheld?
There are already Windows based handheld devices, like Asus Rog Ally. Even a cut-down version of Windows will still be ... Windows.

That's why I said there's nothing new that they can bring to the table now. Steam Deck and other Windows-based alternatives have already innovated in that space.

FireFly

There are already Windows based handheld devices, like Asus Rog Ally. Even a cut-down version of Windows will still be ... Windows.

That's why I said there's nothing new that they can bring to the table now. Steam Deck and other Windows-based alternatives have already innovated in that space.
If a future handheld could deliver Series S performance then it could have access to the entire Xbox back catalogue via Game Pass and could run a version of the Xbox OS. That's not something a Steam Deck can do out of the box and Windows currently isn't designed for handheld gaming devices.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You can't play all the Xbox content on windows though. I mean, its pretty damn good but not everything is available. There is absolutely a reason MS should go this route, and after the ROG Ally ill be there day one.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If a future handheld could deliver Series S performance then it could have access to the entire Xbox back catalogue via Game Pass and could run a version of the Xbox OS. That's not something a Steam Deck can do out of the box and Windows currently isn't designed for handheld gaming devices.
Rog Ally also comes with Game Pass bundled, so it already kind of does that.

And I don't think Game Pass can be the main draw here as (1) we have seen its popularity already going down with GP losing over 3 million subscribers and (2) GPU / xCloud can be used on mobile devices, so GP and its library is already portable.

Calverz

Handhelds are showing impressive growth I think, so it’s likely ms and Sony are going to invest in them and release their own. Sony likely will have some trepidation after the Vita failure so might be last to the table with one.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You can't play all the Xbox content on windows though. I mean, its pretty damn good but not everything is available. There is absolutely a reason MS should go this route, and after the ROG Ally ill be there day one.
Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rog Ally does play all PC Game Pass games, right?

Or are you talking about Xbox-GP-exclusive content?

In that case, sure. But it's such a small thing to target with a dedicated hardware; it'd hardly make business sense. At least in terms of USP/marketing, that's something that just wouldn't resonate with potential buyers. It's not big enough.

Also, most likely their handheld will have Windows, not Xbox OS. Sarah's talk about "forward compatibility" strongly hints at that. I think the new dedicated team is working on ensuring that all Xbox games can work on Windows, and that's how they are ensuring "forward compatibility."

And if they do have Windows in their handheld devices (which I think they will), then we're back to square one.

FireFly

Rog Ally also comes with Game Pass bundled, so it already kind of does that.

And I don't think Game Pass can be the main draw here as (1) we have seen its popularity already going down with GP losing over 3 million subscribers and (2) GPU / xCloud can be used on mobile devices, so GP and its library is already portable.
As I said, the Rog Ally is running Windows, so it's not an ideal handheld experience. And xCloud requires a low latency connection. How does that work if I'm on a bus, train or plane?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rog Ally does play all PC Game Pass games, right?

Or are you talking about Xbox-GP-exclusive content?

In that case, sure. But it's such a small thing to target with a dedicated hardware; it'd hardly make business sense. At least in terms of USP/marketing, that's something that just wouldn't resonate with potential buyers. It's not big enough.

Also, most likely their handheld will have Windows, not Xbox OS. Sarah's talk about "forward compatibility" strongly hints at that. I think the new dedicated team is working on ensuring that all Xbox games can work on Windows, and that's how they are ensuring "forward compatibility."

And if they do have Windows in their handheld devices (which I think they will), then we're back to square one.

Yeah, it can play windows XBox content but not Xbox.

The number one goal should be for MS to make everything Xbox run in windows Xbox app. That would be a game changer.

rm082e

If that were to happen then how would Microsoft get the 30% cut from third parties and such? And would they still charge for online at that point also?

They would only get their 30% cut if you bought games from their store front, which would be the default on both pieces of hardware. You would still get an Xbox ecosystem app when you boot them up. The difference is they would allow you to also sign in with your Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, EA, etc. accounts and download/play the games you own through those services. In theory, you could buy their handheld, sign in with your Steam account, continue buying games through Steam and never buy anything from the Xbox ecosystem.

You can sort of do something like this with the Steam Deck, but not quite. It comes with Steam OS and you buy games from Valve by default. You can format the drive, install windows, install all the launchers and play games from multiple companies if you want to. But Valve does not give you a way to sign into all the other services and download games directly through the Steam OS. PC players mostly don't care, but Xbox would need to formalize being a more open platform.

Microsoft can't charge for multiplayer if it's a Windows machine, unless they want to try manually force you to pay for Game Pass to play any of the games you bought through the Xbox app. But that would defeat the entire purpose of having an open Windows based machine instead of a walled garden like they've always had. That would kill interest in the hardware.

The idea here is that they've reached the point where they aren't making enough profit with their walled garden ecosystem, so they need to change direction. Hardware sales of Xbox continue to decline, and their software sales (remember "attach rates"?) are even worse. Just look at some of the recent software sales estimates out of Europe. They're incomplete, but they paint a pretty bleak picture with much fewer people buying games on Xbox compared to PlayStation and Nintendo. So even if they're making 30% on the third party games sold for Xbox, the number is small enough and shrinking that it's no longer worth keeping the platform closed off.

If they know they can't catch up and be competitive, it's probably time to pivot. Trying to go head-to-head with the PS4 didn't work, and they knew that was a losing battle by 2016. So they pivoted to Game Pass as their new strategy. They encouraged people to buy the Xbox so they could get Game Pass. Seven years later, we can see that this strategy also hasn't met their goals either. They were hoping to be at 50 million Game Pass subs by now. So if the walled garden console plus Game Pass strategy isn't working, it's probably time to pivot again into another new strategy.

Providing more open hardware for those that still want it, while focusing more on being a third party publisher who puts games out everywhere is probably their path forward. Just doing another walled garden machine and asking your audience to miss out on PlayStation exclusives isn't going to work.

Last edited:

DJ12

A box isn’t necessarily the best shape anymore.

The Nintendo Switch is on track to become the bestselling game console of all time. Sony’s PS5 will likely surpass the Xbox One’s entire lifetime sales later this year. Meanwhile, Microsoft’s newer Xbox Series X and S, with their comparatively disappointing exclusive games, are firmly in third place yet again — and it doesn’t look like Xbox Game Pass will ever fill the gap.

Microsoft isn’t planning to take this lying down. It’s among the largest video game companies in the world now that it owns Activision Blizzard, and it’s going to act. This Thursday, we expect the company to reveal a seismic shift in strategy, one where it could bring Xbox exclusives like Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, even Indiana Jones to PlayStation and / or Switch.
To Xbox diehards, that might sound a lot like giving up! What’s the point of buying the one box that doesn’t have exclusive games? But there’s a different way Microsoft could demonstrate hardware leadership, build a console worth buying, and fulfill its “play-anywhere” ambitions. Microsoft could harness the incredible flexibility of Windows to build the best Nintendo Switch competitor ever made.

Microsoft could follow the Steam Deck playbook, putting the power of a mini-Xbox in your hands.

Right now, it feels like handheld gaming (not cloud!) is the future, and the world has been waiting for Microsoft to make its move. We tried phones with attached gamepads and cloud portables, but nothing has lit a spark like the dedicated Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck. Handheld PC makers are crying out for a piece of the action, throwing awkward layers atop a bloated Windows operating system for lack of anything better. Microsoft could beat them, or join them, if it’s willing to take the reins.

Imagine if the next Xbox looked like a Steam Deck by way of Microsoft’s design teams: comfortable and sleek at the same time. Imagine an Xbox interface where Microsoft’s PC games, console games, and cloud games live side by side. Imagine if you could simply pick “Play Halo,” wherever you are in the world, your handheld delivering the best version possible — whether that be locally downloaded, streamed from your home Xbox, streamed from the cloud, or possibly more than one simultaneously. Imagine picking up right where you left off on your TV or vice versa, playing with your friends across both Xbox and PC.

We have the technology. Microsoft in particular has the technology. It’s just a little fragmented, waiting for execs and engineers to fit the puzzle pieces together in a single, seamless experience.

If you’re an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscriber, you can already download a copy of Halo Infinite to your PC, or Xbox, or stream it from xCloud. The downloaded Xbox copy can already be streamed to a Windows PC over your home network as well. No matter which way you play, your saved games and your friends can typically come along for the ride.

The Asus ROG Ally, and behind it a Steam Deck, Nintendo Switch, and original Game Boy.

The Asus ROG Ally, and behind it a Steam Deck, Nintendo Switch, and original Game Boy. Photo by Sean Hollister / The Verge

In 2013, I told you how console games and PC games were beginning to seriously merge. That’s when Sony and Microsoft started using AMD processors running on the x86 instruction set to power their hardware. It made it easier than ever for developers to build a single game for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC — and both Microsoft and Sony saw additional opportunity. They started releasing their biggest games on Windows PCs, too. You no longer needed a console to play Halo or God of War, and it seemed like Microsoft preferred it that way.

But when Valve released the Steam Deck, it was Sony, not Microsoft, that capitalized. We wrote how the Steam Deck made PlayStation’s biggest games portable, and how the Steam Deck made us buy games we would have otherwise purchased for Nintendo Switch. But that meant we were buying our games through Steam rather than paying Microsoft.

Sure, there was that 14-step process to get Xbox Cloud Gaming working on the Steam Deck, you could install a half-baked version of Windows at your own risk, and eventually Microsoft helped Valve get games like Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite working on Valve’s handheld well enough to justify a purchase. But it wasn’t the whole package.

The white gamepad button-equipped seven-inch handheld gaming PC with a screen flanked on either side by joysticks, buttons, and a D-pad. Another black handheld gaming PC with a similar configuration is behind it.

Our Asus ROG Ally review had some choice words about using a Windows handheld. Photo by Vjeran Pavic / The Verge

I’ve spent lots of time with both the Asus ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go, too, and I can’t recommend either Windows-powered Steam Deck-alike without serious reservations. I find it stunning — and a little embarrassing — how much more accessible Windows games are on the Linux-based Steam Deck than they are on a native Windows machine. And at the end of the day, they’re still propping up Valve’s Steam game store more than Microsoft’s PC Game Pass.

But while that’s partly Microsoft’s fault, it’s also Microsoft’s opportunity, and I bet it can rise to the occasion.

To truly succeed, Microsoft needs more than a Windows handheld with an Xbox app on top. It should play all the Xbox games, not just PC ones. Like the Steam Deck does with Windows games atop Linux, it should run a compatibility layer (or maybe a virtual machine) so your Xbox Series games just work — optimally on a custom chip that gives it better battery life than today’s Windows handhelds.

This should all be within reach. Microsoft is the company that pulled a rabbit out of the hat to make the x86-based Xbox One backward compatible with loads of Xbox 360 games that were designed to run on PowerPC chips. It’s the company that once spent $100 million just to refine its Xbox gamepad. It’s a company that’s repeatedly commissioned semi-custom processors for its Xbox consoles — does anyone think AMD would turn down the opportunity to do a custom part for an Xbox handheld? Would Intel or Nvidia, for that matter?

Such a chip should match the graphical performance of an Xbox Series S, if not an Xbox Series X. While the Steam Deck’s AMD “Aerith” and “Sephiroth” AMD chips don’t, the chips inside the Asus ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go already offer more raw teraflops than a Series S when they’re plugged into the wall. If they targeted 720p or 800p resolution when on battery, like the Steam Deck, a new chip should be more than capable of playing current-gen Xbox fare.

Such a handheld might even play next-gen Xbox games if Microsoft’s dreams become reality — by letting the cloud pick up the slack. Hideo Kojima’s OD is being built on Microsoft’s Xbox cloud, and the company had an internal vision for cloud hybrid games by 2028.

Either way, I don’t think Microsoft can afford to miss this coming moment unless it’s abandoning Xbox hardware for good. With “multiple millions” sold, the Steam Deck isn’t a huge threat yet. But if the Nintendo Switch 2 is a success, and Sony decides to make a truly portable PlayStation to join it, Microsoft wouldn’t want to be the only one betting on a box instead.

I'm a fan of handhelds and I'd love to see Microsoft make one, personally.
I brought a legion go, first thing I did was install Linux.

Unless an xbox handheld comes with Linux pre installed its DoA

Given the z1 extreme cpu is as good as it gets right now I cannot see the xbox handheld being worth the bother. Maybe by the end of the year ms can get dibs on a z2 or whatever, but 2-3 hour battery life is not for everyone.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
If Microsoft is going to make a handheld switch type system, it needs to be their next GEN system. They don’t need a new Xbox series X series X pro series, S etc. they needed one sku, and an upscaling dock for TV if they do have a second system, it needs to match the specs of the dock handheld.

What Microsoft can’t do is have multiple with different spec levels that hold back their gaming.

The series has been for them, but it’s held back the series X due to parity.

But what is more than likely to happen is that they will release a handheld device that is somewhere in the series ballpark. However, they need to make it dockable up to the series X level.

I’d imagine they can do this. They already have the series S and X they just need to retrofit the chip set into a dock and into a handheld device

I said yes but I don't think it will do well either way. Portable gaming is great but I've had to sell all my portable devices. I just don't have time to play games when I'm not at home. I used to play during my lunches and then I started lifting during lunches so now all my time is gone.

Last edited:

NickFire

This article is being paid for, and it's to test the waters with public reception. MS loves to do that before a real announcement.
I wish MS would hurry up and just tell us what their plans are. I know that console manufacturers like to keep cards close to chest to protect their current product lines. That just feels kind of pointless right now. The trajectory isn't going to change overnight as soon as they add COD to GP day 1 (if they ever do). If they are planning and announce a genuine disruptor approach it might get people excited and slow the adoption of PS5 Pro though. If a disruptor approach includes benefits associated with PC like the ability to play Steam games from console and/or dropping paid online, it's something that would certainly get me very interested. And if they did that and publicly disavowed DEI consultants, I would probably be done buying games on PS5 and shifting to a holding pattern until next gen starts.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If the Xbox handheld did local and cloud gaming and could run other launchers in a way that's not strewn together I'd buy it.

Lastly, make it so that it could run apps like Netflix and I'm in 100%

SHA

What's xbox at this point?
A preconfigured deck for every steam game? That sounds limiting, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no better way cause there's actually, even better than the steam deck itself, a console here could mean bypassing all steam games limitations on pc and make it as if they're originally made for xbox, cause that sounds awesome if done perfectly, a store then becomes just another window to access more games, It obviously looks like a new job for the back compat team, that could mean a long marathon of work, we're talking about 8000 games here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom