• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider's creative director leaves, Crystal Dynamics looking for a new one

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I noticed this yesterday, but thought it might be worth noting given recent events.

1.) First up, Ian Milham, who was hired to lead Crystal Dynamics' new Tomb Raider, has left in favor of working with a bunch of senior Dead Space staff at Outpost Games. The details of that are below.

milhamtru8p.png

https://twitter.com/Monkey_Pants/status/907834232256507904

2.) Crystal Dynamics is hiring to fill the position, and just posted it up to Gamasutra as well.

Creative Director

Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented and passionate Creative Director for a new AAA action adventure title [this is Tomb Raider] we are developing. This individual will be responsible for overseeing all decisions that affect how the game plays, looks, and sounds. We would like to find a person who has experience providing creative direction for world class titles. The focus of the Creative Director will be to ensure the highest quality for the game play, artwork, music, and audio assets that will be in the final shipped version of the game. We expect the Creative Director to lead the overall vision of the game.

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/creative-director-redwood-city-california-32367

Are they a two team studio then? I know Eidos Montreal is working on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but I really hope Crystal Dynamics still works on the series instead of going all in on The Avengers.

nampad

If Amy Hennig would really go to Crystal Dynamics, I would be torn between her working on Tomb Raider, a new Legacy of Kain or a new IP.

NeoRaider

How do you know that this is for new TR game?? Are you just assuming?
Apperantly Shadow of the Tomb Raider is in development for ~2 years now and is developed by EM with help by CD.

Sami+

I really hope, if they do stay on Tomb Raider, we get actually decent storytelling and dialogue next time. 😅

FoneBone

OK, I'm confused. What's Crystal Dynamics' role with regard to Tomb Raider? I thought the franchise had been completely handed off to Eidos Montreal, but apparently not?

Gitaroo

Amy Henning Tomb Raider would be amazing, but the development must be very far in so it won't be 100% her game anyway.

Bruce or Amy would both be awesome options.

Wonder what direction they plan on taking this franchise and if it will remain semi linear or go full open world

dr_rus

Are they a two team studio then? I know Eidos Montreal is working on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but I really hope Crystal Dynamics still works on the series instead of going all in on The Avengers.

CD is on the Avengers project but I'd imagine that a rather sizeable team in CD is on the SoTTR still with the bulk of the development happening in Montreal.

Teeth

I remember when Monkey Pants posted on GAF.

Thank you forever for your art in the Dead Space franchise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll do it. We're turning Lara Croft into a bad ass roguish white guy with a buzz cut named Luke Boxx in an open world GaaS game.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'd love it if Amy Hennig showed up here, and I love how many of us are saying it.

That said, just reading about her two high-profile cancellations in a row has left me breathless. I don't know her, I've never even met her, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if she just wants to bow out and do something else with her talents at this point.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Amy has some weight behind her and respect from the game community. With the change of management and having fresh blood and talent it would be now a perfect time than ever for Hennig to join a familiar old place.

Would wish for this to happen.

I noticed this yesterday, but thought it might be worth noting given recent events.

1.) First up, Ian Milham, who was hired to lead Crystal Dynamics' new Tomb Raider, has left in favor of working with a bunch of senior Dead Space staff at Outpost Games. The details of that are below.

milhamtru8p.png

https://twitter.com/Monkey_Pants/status/907834232256507904

2.) Crystal Dynamics is hiring to fill the position, and just posted it up to Gamasutra as well.

Hmm, if Ms Hennig is out looking for work, she'd make a great addition to Crystal Dynamics as a creative director! Uncharted trilogy & Tomb Raider are two big action adventure franchises to have in your resume :)

I'm confused by the reactions in this thread.

I thought Kotaku just broke the story today that the new Amy Hennig project was a 'mess.'

That's the same Visceral/Star Wars project, right?

So...why would people want her going to lead Tomb Raider after that report?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The """New IP""" is The Avengers.

So would this explain why we have yet to see Shadow of the Tomb Raider officially announced, despite leaking almost exactly a year ago?
That's Eidos Montreal's Tomb Raider game. I think this one was separate.

You're welcome! It makes me happy that you enjoyed it.
To note, I didn't mean to downplay your new role with the title. I just wasn't sure people would know what Outpost Games was yet given the studio has been relatively quiet.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Amy was at CD for the beginning of Tomb Raider Legend. She quit and went to ND to make Uncharted.

Top Bottom