• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender VA hired by Dead by Daylight to voice killer character "The unknown" demands reparations after seeing character model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAssist

This seems stupid on every level by most people involved.

First of all, there had to be character concept art at the time of voice recording. Is that VA saying they didn't do their job and actually researched the character before trying to voice them?
Secondly...what has their gender have to do with anything?? What if some straight cis white male or female had voiced this character? It would have been fine I guess, so its only bad because of the sex or lack thereof of the voice actor? Is that not sexist as well? Why do we even know that the VA is transgender? What does that have to do with the character being voiced, or the job the va was being hired for?
Was the VA specifically hired because they are transgender or was it based on merit (which it should be)? If its the former then why? What could be gained from this by anyone?

Simply hire people on merit and market value. Don't even ask if they belong to any specific group. Not in terms of sexuality, religion, country of origin or anything unless the role profits from that fact, eg. if the character being voiced was actually transgender in this case. Since this is not the case here, we shouldn't even know the "gender" of this person, because honestly, I don't think this stuff needs to be discussed in such a public facing manner. It only attracts bigotry and hate. Nothing is gained for the transgender community here. I think the VA and their behavior a partly (not solely) to blame. They are not doing themselves or their community any favors.

And thirdly, of course, there is the public reaction to it. Something very foreseeable but still in parts ugly. This person has behaved (as far as I can see it from here) in a somewhat stupid and naive fashion. They might deserve some backlash for not doing their research but this is no reason to attack them or transgender people in general. This person is not a representative of an entire group of people. Its just someone who did something mildly stupid, like most of us have in their lives, but they were stupid enough to make a (somewhat big) pubic deal about it instead of doing it the professional way.
It's stupid, we all had a laugh.

And we should all leave it at that.

edit: Just read about their passing. Again, just shows that there is always a human behind these stories and so many people fail to see that until someone fucking dies. That's the saddest part of the internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom