• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft laid off 1,700 workers on the path to its highest net bookings ever

Draugoth

Gold Member
ac_mirage.jpg

Thanks to the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Assassin's Creed series, the company saw a 33.5 percent increase in net bookings, pulling down €2.3 billion (about $2.5 billion) for the full year.

Ubisoft's full-year results for 2023-2024 show off strong financial performance for the company. The Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Just Dance publisher earned about $2.5 million in net bookings, a new record.

Ubisoft's net bookings rose 33.5 percent in 2023 through 2024, but it's laid off 1,700 employees since 2022.

via GameDeveloper

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
ac_mirage.jpg

Ubisoft's full-year results for 2023-2024 show off strong financial performance for the company. The Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Just Dance publisher earned about $2.5 million in net bookings, a new record.

Ubisoft's net bookings rose 33.5 percent in 2023 through 2024, but it's laid off 1,700 employees since 2022.

via GameDeveloper
The correct number appears later in the article:

Thanks to the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Assassin's Creed series, the company saw a 33.5 percent increase in net bookings, pulling down €2.3 billion (about $2.5 billion) for the full year.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Don't buy any games from Ubisoft they are evil corporation. And don't buy from Microsoft as they are evil corporation too. And don't buy from Ea. And don't buy from Sony. And don't buy from Google. And don't buy from Amazon. Don't buy from Meta. Don't buy from discord. And don't buy from Ebay. And dont buy from Dell. And don't buy from Walmart. And don't ship via UPS, or buy anything with PayPal.

iHaunter

Don't buy any games from Ubisoft they are evil corporation. And don't buy from Microsoft as they are evil corporation too. And don't buy from Ea. And don't buy from Sony. And don't buy from Google. And don't buy from Amazon. Don't buy from Meta. Don't buy from discord. And don't buy from Ebay. And dont buy from Dell. And don't buy from Walmart. And don't ship via UPS, or buy anything with PayPal.
How many people Sony lay off?

Three

Yeah boycotts are dumb, I don't see anybody doing that here, but we shouldn't really be turning a blind eye to mass layoffs by highly profitable companies either. Fuck them all for doing that.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
Are you ok? We worry and are planning an intervention as we speak.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

ctrl+f 'Nintendo'
no results found
e54e29866ee4feb25db1e9a07fcfa2ca.gif

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yeah boycotts are dumb, I don't see anybody doing that here, but we shouldn't really be turning a blind eye to mass layoffs by highly profitable companies either. Fuck them all for doing that.

Just saying, my point being people seem to pick and choose which ones to vilify. Not happy about layoffs anywhere.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
From a business perspective, I look at it like they've trimmed the fat and continued to have income and funding. I'd like to think of this negatively it I can't at the time

Saber

Keep thinking those companies wants the best for the customers(and employees). These companies would make people slaves if there weren't laws blocking them, they just want more and more money.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The headlines are hilarious considering the full quarterly statement:

kCHcdVu.jpeg
Good job this quarter. Looks like they made roughly 13% net profit margin (313/2321) while last years quarter was a dumpster fire losing about -33% (-585/1739)

Last edited:

yurinka

that seems like a lot... right?
That's what, half the people in the credits for an Asscreed game?
Approximately 1000 between october 23 and February 24.

I saw that on a video about the video game industry.
Shedding all the people they hired because the laptop class had to go back to work.

They reduced their headcount in 1700, which doesn't mean they fired 1700 people.

They had a program to reduce the workforce across several years without having a huge layoff: They renewed less people with temporary contracts, hired less new people, got less contractors for new projects, compensated early retirements, managed to relocate people instead of firing them, etc.

As I remember the workers have 3 representatives in the board of directors.

How many people were laid off last week when Microsoft closed their studios?
We don't know it.

Is this whole woke push just an excuse for massive cutbacks?
No, as I remember the woke guidelines at Ubisoft were set around when the first The Division was under development (I was working there back then).

Cutbacks in game publishers are because the game market did stop growing and kept flat for the last couple of years, and the AAA budgets skyrocket every generation unlike the revenue they generate. So they had to cut the fact to be more profitable with less costs.

Specially a company specially bloated as Ubisoft is. Ubisoft has way, way more workers than other publishers who generate similar revenue (and unlike Ubi are more profitable). If there is a big publisher that since many years ago had to reduce its workforce and optimize their workflow and productivity/profitability is Ubisoft.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Yeah, really don't care about net bookings as a bait headline.
Revenue is up and expenses are WAY down comparatively so they went from a a pretty big loss to a decent net positive year over year.
Nothingburger headline.
Ubisoft can still eat my ass.

Top Bottom