• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
D61cYs1.jpeg

Damn this game gets hard near the end.

simpatico

Care to elaborate on your thoughts on this one? I thought parts of the game were utter trash. Not dissing your opinion at all, just love understanding thoughts from a different perspective?

Some thoughts I had after the my first playthrough last month,

1. I cannot get over how poorly written the dialogue was and its a real shame because the voice actors all had great performances despite the terrible writing.
  2. The story dragged on for far too long. Felt like 40% of the game was just filler missions to get everyone's hours played to an a predetermined amount. I had multiple story missions where the entire mission consisted of just driving to a character and speaking to them. That's it.
  3. Weapon variety was kind of lame. I found three weapons and just stuck with them for the majority of the game because they were clearly OP.
  4. What on earth is with the shooting mechanics in this game? The reticle makes shooting from mid range and onward annoying as hell unless you have a sniper. I get it....cant use a shotty at long range but the distance feels off on all the guns.
  5. Other than the fuel tank, most of the later game bike upgrades didn't create a noticeable difference in my bike's performance. Kind of a lame outcome after anticipating the whole game that I would have this crazy performing bike by the end of it.
1. I liked the characters a lot. They aren't perfect, but they're all far less used archetypes. I found Deacon very refreshing as a lead. So tired of every lead having to be a wise cracking rogue. Stoic with a screw loose is a great change of pace. Iron Mike, Copeland and Tucker were are really strong characters that set the tone for their act. I just loved that it wasn't the same collection of tropes that make up the majority of AAA. The Skizzo relationship is another good example. Tenuous, but it works.
2. It's about as long as I want a game. All of the camps were fleshed out and just barely missed overstaying their welcome.
3. I felt like I was getting upgraded options are a good pace. I didn't find the game very hard so I'd mix it up mission to mission.
4. I thought they did a great job giving a sense of realism. I got to where I was really comfortable operating within the mechanics. Auto rifles aren't going to be the best for mid range accuracy. Try the M14 and actually line up the shot.
5. I'm not to my second run of the late game, but just now getting to level 2 trust with Iron Mike and I feel like bike upgrades have been well spaced. By the time the newness wears off I'm not far from the next.

bumpkin

I’ve been trying to make a dent in my backlog, specifically playing games my wife has given me for Christmas the last couple years.

On the Xbox, so far I’ve finished Quantum Break and Control. If Alan Wake II was on sale for Series X right now I’d probably continue the Remedy binge, but since it’s not, I’m probably going to start Psychonauts 2.

On the Switch I’m bouncing between Greak Memories of Azur, and Eiyuden Chronicle Rising. I’ve got Hundred Heroes in my GameFly queue so I wanted to get acquainted with the world and characters.

Last edited:

reektann

Played through Botany Manor on PC Game Pass. Easily a 9.5/10 from me here too. Only slight issue was the performance needs a bit of tightening on PC. The puzzles are super smart and it does a great job of conveying the information both in written form and smart imagery and art around the manor.

Did it all myself with no guides - the clues and answers were really logical when you put your mind to it. What a great game and a total surprise. I hadn't even heard of it until reading this thread.

Started Minishoot Adventures on Steam Deck and it is a delight so far. Zelda but with twin stick shooting mechanics. Lets go.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate on your thoughts on this one? I thought parts of the game were utter trash. Not dissing your opinion at all, just love understanding thoughts from a different perspective?
I am not the person to whom you directed your question, but I have an opinion nonetheless!

This was the game that made me think I could enjoy open world games. I did not enjoy them at all until this game. Everything in the game just felt fun. There wasn't a boring moment. I almost got the platinum, but I didn't clear out one or two final hordes.

IMHO, your list of complaints comes from a critical eye. Story was just about the right length as long as you are playing the game to play the game, and not just to finish the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finished up Lil Gator Game. Super casual open world collectathon game but its adorable. Really enjoyed it. Got everything on the island and finished the game in about 6 hrs. Really captures the fun of being a kid. Some minor story moments are great too. Stay away from it if you dont like finding "all the things" as thats pretty much the game. Basically no true challenge in the game but there is no map so it made exploration enjoyable and managed to end before overstaying its welcome.

Just beat Artful Escape on PS5. It's a short but sweet indie game published by Annapurna Interactive with gorgeous visuals (especially on an OLED TV) and a dope soundtrack. The only con was the quite boring platforming where most of the time you just move your character right and maybe sometimes left lol (there's no challenge so it can become quite dull tbh). The voice acting and the story was okay too.

Overall, I'd say it was an enjoyable 5h experience with a very easy 1000G/Platinum if you're one to care about that.

4ZJV7ok.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Started up The Rewinder. Its pretty interesting. Point and click mystery game set in China with Taoist supernatural elements. My recommendation is to just play most of the first case with a guide. Just works better that way unless you are experienced with this type of game. Puzzles and core game mechanics are pretty cryptic until you try them a few times and see how it works. The graphics and art style look a bit better when you're playing in person, but its a very minimalist pixel art style.

bender

What time is it?
Started up The Rewinder. Its pretty interesting. Point and click mystery game set in China with Taoist supernatural elements. My recommendation is to just play most of the first case with a guide. Just works better that way unless you are experienced with this type of game. Puzzles and core game mechanics are pretty cryptic until you try them a few times and see how it works. The graphics and art style look a bit better when you're playing in person, but its a very minimalist pixel art style.

I dropped it pretty quick because of this but my gaming patience is at an all-time low.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I dropped it pretty quick because of this but my gaming patience is at an all-time low.
I could easily see that happening. I almost did. Figured I wanted to see more since its just weird and unlike anything I've played. But yeah, I'm following a guide for big chunks of it. Figuring out what I can. Its not amazing but its holding my interest for now. Kinda into it.

Basically a darker Ghost Trick: China with really poorly balanced puzzles.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished Alone in the Dark with Emily now as well.

Actually liked that “campaign “ a bit more as unlike Edward Emily has some knowledge of people and location. Shame it wasn’t that much different except this one specific section.

Had a good time with the game. I wish there were more like it. We need more of those shorter games. Why so few make em I don’t get. I mean, they do not sell as well as these huge games but they can’t be aa expensive to make either, no?

Finished Alone in the Dark with Emily now as well.

Actually liked that “campaign “ a bit more as unlike Edward Emily has some knowledge of people and location. Shame it wasn’t that much different except this one specific section.

Had a good time with the game. I wish there were more like it. We need more of those shorter games. Why so few make em I don’t get. I mean, they do not sell as well as these huge games but they can’t be aa expensive to make either, no?

Open world games are actually deceptive in terms of how little content is actually in them. Due to the way they pad out the middle section of these games, they create the illusion of there being "more work" put into them.

Justin9mm

Days Gone. First replay since PC launch. Truly the greatest open world game not made by Rockstar or Bethesda. There is no hope for a sequel. I firmly believe if Sony even makes a sequel, they will "fix" everything that was great about the story and characters.

Something about that big chopper, the zombies and the open world. On their own they're all nothing special, but when combined it's an amazing stew. No open world game makes the mundane tasks this enthralling.

A true 9/10 and the best Sony exclusive that isn't made by From.

ss_8d958e566d5315463d099b21eae729d0f462caad.1920x1080.jpg
Days Gone was a fucking masterpiece even playing at Launch @30fps on PS4 Pro.

engstra

Been playing Dave the Diver, about 10 hours in. It's got me hooked, very chill experience and loving the artstyle. Didn't realise how big the game was however. I would have imagined I was fairly close to being done but it looks like it's about a 30 hour game so not really the small palette cleanser game I was going for.
Oh well having fun with it for now and want to see where it goes.

Mr Hyde

Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Not quite as good as I remember it, but still very entertaining and enjoyable. The new 4K 60 patch makes wonders and the graphics looks very nice. Some areas are truly breathtaking. The Mayan setting is cool and the tombs you explore are some of the best in the trilogy. There is a lot more focus on platforming and raiding rather than action, so I'd say Shadow is closer to the original games than the previous two. However it does have pacing issues and the story itself is not that good. It also goes overboard with artifacts and documents to find, devolving into the typical checkbox game where you simply lose interest hunting everything down.

tommib

Stellar Blade and just taking my time in the Desert.

Tekken 8, still going though the chapters, near the end.

Helldivers 2 and GT7 since they’re always a palette cleanser.

Need to finish Pentiment and Hi-fi Rush. I put them on hold when Ronin came out. Near the end of Pentiment which I love but Hi-Fi Rush became extremely repetitive. It gives such a good initial impression but it burns you out quite quickly.

tommib

This looks great. Man the amount of good games out there is absurd. I don’t think we ever had so many good games at the same time. My wishlist is endless.

Muffdraul

Every once in a while I'll go back to my Tears of the Kingdom file to look for Addison the sign simp, one of the few collectible 'quests' I never finished in my 250+ hours of play. It seemed like he was always relatively near a road, so I was using Hero's Path or whatever it's called to look for bits of road I'd never been on. I found a couple Addison's that way, but then at some point I was farming dragon parts, I went to a sky island for that and ended up in a completely random open field of grass, with no landmarks anywhere nearby. And there was a fucking Addison in the middle of the field. I never would have found him in a hojillion years if I was looking for him, because I'd never bother to look in the middle of a huge empty field. So, that ended my endeavor.

That was months ago. The other day, I don't remember what it was, but something triggered me to think, "Fuck it. I'm finishing the Addisons. Even if I have to cheat with a map." So, I'm doing that. I found so many Addisons on my own, I was under the impression I was only missing like maybe three. But using the map, I'm already up to 14 I missed. Still having fun though. Even with a map, some of them are a pain in the ass to find. Always near a road, my ass.

I've been playing Eiyuden Chronicles (Steamdeck OLED)

8 to 9 hours in

I'm looking to get all 120 characters

The game runs and looks great. I'm not a fan of certain visual styles they decided to go with. Certainly not a fan of the way the 2D character portraits look. Just has that generic mobile look to them

So far I'm loving the game despite me not liking the localization. I've been playing with Japanese Voices with English Subtitles

I find it funny how reviewers have been giving this game bad reviews due to no QOL features and it doesn't hold your hand

I'm a huge fan of Suikoden and one of my favorite parts of Suikoden games is that if you recruit all the characters, you can recruit characters that can make things easier to do

Like one character offers fast travel in every Suikoden game if you manage to recruit her if I remember correctly

In Eiyuden Chronicles, I was exploring these mines and I came across these boots that made my character move faster on the field

I like QOL features but I prefer something like I mentioned above since it feels like I invested time and money into it

I'm guessing this game will take me around 50 to 100 hours since I want to do everything

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Finished The Rewinder. Really enjoyed it. Its a low budget, much darker Ghost Trick: China but I enjoyed it the whole time. Story was pretty cool honestly. Unfortunately I had to use a guide on probably 35% of the puzzles to keep the pace moving along because they can be difficult. 6.5 / 10, but I'm pretty into it and would play anything else from this team.

Last edited:
Top Bottom