• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't there more male-oriented teen dramas in the US?

Jubenhimer

In America, the target demographic for most live-action dramas for teens has almost exclusively been teenage girls. More specifically, Middle school girls who gravitate towards romanticized, melodramatic portrayals of High School (High Schoolers tend to watch more adult shows from my experience). Everything from Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Riverdale, The O.C., Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf, etc. have either been aimed at or at least, heavily skew towards a female audience. We get the occasional male-skewing show such as Smallville, but they're usually the exception. So why aren't there more teen dramas primarily geared towards boys? If I had to guess, it's likely because teenage boys, and male audiences in general, tend to be less interested in drama than girls. Male teens from my experience, tend to gravitate towards comedies and action-adventure, while teenage girls tend to be more susceptible to melodrama. It's also part of the reason attractive twenty somethings are cast as male teenage characters, it's basically fanservice for girls. But is there a market for live-action teen shows targeting boys? And do you think there should be?

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
aroqpkxwqrr41.gif

SKM1

Maybe because the things girls are interested in are easier to realize in live action form, at least with low budgets.

For boys you either have big budget movies like Star Wars or super hero movies.
Really it's all about the hero's journey, epic adventures.

There are superhero shows but they tend to drag on. You can't just go crazy like, say, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
And live action movies from anime are also shit.

Good question overall, hadn't thunk about it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I guess it would basically be Beavis & Butthead with the protagonist(s) having actual shots at sex sometimes, and maybe some moments of clarity.

Teenage boys are all about angst, video games, and being horny all the time. And even when they’re actually desperate because of unrequited teenage love, it’s not something people want to see on TV, for many reasons.

Society doesn’t want teenage boys faithfully portrayed on TV, and it’s no wonder movies centered about real-life problems of male teenagers are usually dark and violent. I, for one, would never want to be my teenage self again, save for those rock-hard erections (see?).

Top Bottom