• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoom is so bad, how did it blow up?

Blade2.0

I've been using it for my online course since December and it's garbage. You can't actually minimize the window, it just becomes a small window to the right that gets in the way of everything i'm trying to do. when i share my screen, it just makes a giant bar on the top that also gets rid of everything I'm trying to do. It constantly resizes when I have to go to a breakout room and then back into the main room. FUCK! How is this the one that blew up? it's fucking garbage. Discord has better systems for this and their UI is garbage too.

Am I missing something? Are there options that don't make it garbage?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My company bounced off it. We're now on Google meetings.

I'm more confused over slack. What does it offer that discord doesn't? Is it just branding

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never used Zoom.

I've only used Teams and one time an interview I had with a company during covid used Blue Jeans (never heard of it before).

MS Teams is shit. It does work at the end of the day. But the choppy video, "sorry everyone, I'm trying to share my screen but it wont let me, let me log out and come back in", echoing etc.... is way too numerous.

Maybe sometimes it's user fault. But when a user logs out and rejoins the meeting and everything works it shows it cant be the user.

Considering how random these issues happen nobody can even figure out what the cause it. All everyone resorts to is exit and rejoin the meeting and hope it works the second try.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Never used Zoom.

I've only used Teams and one time an interview I had with a company during covid used Blue Jeans (never heard of it before).

MS Teams is shit. It does work at the end of the day. But the choppy video, "sorry everyone, I'm trying to share my screen but it wont let me, let me log out and come back in", echoing etc.... is way too numerous.

Maybe sometimes it's user fault. But when a user logs out and rejoins the meeting and everything works it shows it cant be the user.

Considering how random these issues happen nobody can even figure out what the cause it. All everyone resorts to is exit and rejoin the meeting and hope it works the second try.
I use teams as my job and frequently have to share screens and take over a persons screen to show them things. Never had these issues with it. Always worked flawlessly for me.

Covid and the lockdowns helped Zoom become a major brand, and I mean that literally, it was basically DOA from what I saw before they took advantage of the stay at home stuff.

Same goes for several brands, including Peloton exercise. Many companies own their current standing to the pandemic oddly.

I've been using it for my online course since December and it's garbage. You can't actually minimize the window, it just becomes a small window to the right that gets in the way of everything i'm trying to do. when i share my screen, it just makes a giant bar on the top that also gets rid of everything I'm trying to do. It constantly resizes when I have to go to a breakout room and then back into the main room. FUCK! How is this the one that blew up? it's fucking garbage. Discord has better systems for this and their UI is garbage too.

Am I missing something? Are there options that don't make it garbage?
It’s complete shit. They just got super lucky with COVID

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Zoom blew up during the pandemic because it didn't have you go through as many hoops to get started like the other options.
I was wondering why Zoom took off too when corporatey Skype and MS Teams were already around. You'd think companies would just latch onto those. And I'm going to assume home versions of Skype and Teams video conferencing had free versions for people too during covid? I dont know.

I had never even heard of Zoom before covid.

What about pricing? Is corporate Zoom dirt cheap compared to Teams?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Haven't used zoom, but I dislike teams. Even the messaging part is a pain in the ass because it won't allow persistent messages, so I have to have it email me when I get a message.

pramod

Banned
Teams has great all in one functionality...chatrooms, meetings, file sharing, etc.

Tech and performance is not as good as Google though.

Tumle

I use teams as my job and frequently have to share screens and take over a persons screen to show them things. Never had these issues with it. Always worked flawlessly for me.
yep use it daily still, never had this problem.. maybe something with his work's internal network :)

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Like other posters have already said - it was the pandemic that made free/cheap video conferencing software suddenly something everyone needed.

Anecdotally a lot of workplaces weren't using Teams much before the pandemic, despite it being available. Where I was working switched over to it pretty quickly once it became clear we would be wfh for a while.

Jayjayhd34

Funny you should say that my mum died last week she lives in Spain and they lived streamed funeral through zoom went down within 10 minutes.

Tams

Even the almost tech-illiterate, useless company I work for gave up on it pretty quickly. We use Google Meet or whatever they are calling it this week now. It works at least.

As for why Zoom took off? I believe at the start of the pandemic it was the only widely available video calling service that offered calls for large numbers of participants. If I remember correctly, they may also have been the only one at the time that didn't require an account, so it was easy for disparate people to join?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Zoom stock is like 1:1 with how serious the pandy/lockdowns were

cYRf55f.png

It's dog shit and so is Teams. Corporate will never embrace Discord though.

Ozriel

M$FT
Never used Zoom.

Chiming in to say I’ve never had this issue with Teams either.
Usually when this happens to someone on a call with me, it’s because they have issues with their internet.

Vestal

Gold Member
Between 2018-2020 Zoom was the "Best" of what was available for video conferencing software.

Zooms problem is simply that they only did one thing great.. "1 single use case" doesn't justify a continued software commitment for a company. Other software provided more integration to existing workstreams and thus completely blew Zoom out of the water.

Last edited:
Top Bottom