• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

I didnt order mine until June 5th , so i already knew i was gonna be an August occulus..so i dont feel bad that everyone is getting these emails..really ..i dont..at all......... =/

ah well will give me time to finish a few small projects before i start plugging away at starting a project in UE4

Do we need the Unity Pro 4 Integration to run games (on the same page as the SDK and runtime) or is that just for developers using Unity?

Also, where is the Firmware update?

RCSI

Has to deal with the way OLED (at least on recent Samsung panels) switch between pixels being off to pixels being on. Basically, anytime there is black in a scene the pixels are off. The smearing is a result of the pixels turning on, as this happens on their phones as well. The fix people seem to suggest is keeping the pixels on (1,1,1,) but this results in a green tint as there are more green pixels that make up the display. This is the way I understand it, though I could be completely wrong. I don't remember any smearing when I played Alien, which starts off with a dark scene in general, however I was also not looking for it at the time.

In other words, it's entirely normal for this technology, or at least the way that Samsung has implemented it. Whether or not that Oculus will be able to change this with the DK2 is another question.

Krejlooc

Banned
Has to deal with the way OLED (at least on recent Samsung panels) switch between pixels being off to pixels being on. Basically, anytime there is black in a scene the pixels are off. The smearing is a result of the pixels turning on, as this happens on their phones as well. The fix people seem to suggest is keeping the pixels on (1,1,1,) but this results in a green tint as there are more green pixels that make up the display. This is the way I understand it, though I could be completely wrong. I don't remember any smearing when I played Alien, which starts off with a dark scene in general, however I was also not looking for it at the time.

In other words, it's entirely normal for this technology, or at least the way that Samsung has implemented it. Whether or not that Oculus will be able to change this with the DK2 is another question.

the solution proposed is a temporal dither, alternating frames from 2,1,2 to 1,1,1. Spacial dithering is unrealistic given the size of post-distorted pixels.

dragn

yiiiiiiiiis You're receiving this email because your Oculus Pre-order is about to ship, and we've charged the remaining balance to the credit card on file.

11:09 pdt order to germany

subwilde

Mine is ready for shipping as well. 11:09am to Northern California. I can attest to the Samsung smearing. Using the dark theme you can see purple lines when you scroll up and down Gaf.

sankao

Just received mine !
aiU7b5U.jpg

NW8ibwL.jpg

M8ffbbk.jpg

TFFL5Ab.jpg

ido

It looks so good. Next week can't come soon enough. Happy for those getting it tomorrow.

With US tracking numbers, is anybodies updated yet? I have my tracking number, but when I actually try tracking it, it just says UPS could not locate the shipment.

sankao

Giddy like a school girl for HW impressions and performance tests.

At work right now, so cant really give in depth impressions.
The unit is lighter than I expected, which is probably a good thing. Packaging is solid (there is actually an outer box), DK2 should make it to the US without trouble. Lots of goodies inside the box, clean manual, doesn't feel like a prototype at all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
At work right now, so cant really give in depth impressions.
The unit is lighter than I expected, which is probably a good thing. Packaging is solid (there is actually an outer box), DK2 should make it to the US without trouble. Lots of goodies inside the box, clean manual, doesn't feel like a prototype at all.

The way they talk about it sounds like it's closer to the final kit anyways. It's damn fine for the specs too.

solarus

My order is processing! Ordered after 1pm PDT, in the UK. Need to have this dispatch and reach me by 4th August, leaving on the 5th for a while.

My unit has shipped...but I'm at work all day tomorrow, and away all weekend. Guess I'll be picking it up from a UPS location unless it takes a few days to arrive.

Krejlooc

Banned
US Residents: It appears you can now track your packages. Major pro-tip to all US residents - I read a number of horror stories from people who had their packages delivered to the wrong addresses by mistake and thus lost their rifts, or had them stolen from their doorstep, or any number of horrifying things.

To avoid this, go to the UPS website and sign up for UPS myChoice. This will let you select the option for your tracked package to be held at the local distribution center rather than delivered. That way you can go pick it up yourself. Bonus benefit: you can do it first thing in the morning rather than waiting anxiously all day for the delivery man.

EDIT: Looks like mine will be here on Tuesday.

YuShtink

US Residents: It appears you can now track your packages. Major pro-tip to all US residents - I read a number of horror stories from people who had their packages delivered to the wrong addresses by mistake and thus lost their rifts, or had them stolen from their doorstep, or any number of horrifying things.

To avoid this, go to the UPS website and sign up for UPS myChoice. This will let you select the option for your tracked package to be held at the local distribution center rather than delivered. That way you can go pick it up yourself. Bonus benefit: you can do it first thing in the morning rather than waiting anxiously all day for the delivery man.

EDIT: Looks like mine will be here on Tuesday.

Yep. I did this with my DK1 and I'm doing the exact same thing with my DK2. Should be able to pick it up at 8am tomorrow morning (I'm in LA)

Krejlooc

Banned
Uh, awful language in the DK2 manual:

Noticed this from the license agreement in the instruction manual - *"You may use the headset to develop commercial software intended solely for use with the headset, provided that you may only distribute such software via distribution channels that have been approved by Oculus in writing."*

Palmer Luckey says he'll explain shortly.

YuShtink

How would you track it? lol I have only mine in processing. Haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet.

Don't worry you can't track until your status is SHIPPED. And even for a while after that you might not actually be able to track it until the label is made on UPS's end.

Krejlooc

Banned
Tuesday here in Texas as well.

Edit: ^^^ Holy shit. That's crazy.

Keep in mind the punctuation. To clarify, it appears to be saying, "If your content is solely for the oculus rift, it has to be distributed how we say so." Which I'm taking to mean if your application is Oculus Rift exclusive, i.e. no normal monitor mode or anything else.

I still find that sickening, but it's much worse than other interpretations of the sentence. Again, Palmer Luckey says he'll clarify here shortly. I certainly hope so, because that's some terrible language.

Soi-Fong

Don't worry you can't track until your status is SHIPPED. And even for a while after that you might not actually be able to track it until the label is made on UPS's end.

Ah ok. lol I'm happy enough getting the processing info. Was really not expecting to get in the 1st batch.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'll say this - My team for Half Life 2 VR and I were hoping to eventually try and get our mod onto Steam for sale, sort of like Black Mesa. Oculus' wording in that manual really scares me :-\

RhysD85

Seems like they forgot Australia exists :( Been seeing people from every other country get shipping emails and stuff, not a single one from Aus.

YuShtink

I'll say this - My team for Half Life 2 VR and I were hoping to eventually try and get our mod onto Steam for sale, sort of like Black Mesa. Oculus' wording in that manual really scares me :-\

Don't worry man they aren't going to do something that stupid. They are still tight with Valve. Valve has even implemented a VR mode in steam. Of course Rift games are going to be allowed to be sold on Steam. Palmer himself said not to panic.

Seems like they forgot Australia exists :( Been seeing people from every other country get shipping emails and stuff, not a single one from Aus.

I thought for sure having a Distro warehouse in Aus would ensure at least a small number of units from batch 1 made it out here this time around.

Shawsie64

Banned
I thought for sure having a Distro warehouse in Aus would ensure at least a small number of units from batch 1 made it out here this time around.

Same.. Not one order I know of from Australia, even the early ones have seen any movement. I wonder are they processing them from Oculus HQ or from the distro centres?

Blizzard

Banned
I am interested to hear what sort of explanation they do on that wording, considering they're setting up the software that renders directly to the Rift, and makes it act differently than a dedicated monitor, and (possibly) displays the health warning before applications launch.

They have everything set up to make the Facebookulus Platform and forbid all distribution outside of it, and display IN-YOUR-HEAD ad banners, if they ever decide to be evil. :p

NoPiece

I am interested to hear what sort of explanation they do on that wording, considering they're setting up the software that renders directly to the Rift, and makes it act differently than a dedicated monitor, and (possibly) displays the health warning before applications launch.

They have everything set up to make the Facebookulus Platform and forbid all distribution outside of it, and display IN-YOUR-HEAD ad banners, if they ever decide to be evil. :p

I think it is a misunderstanding. I am anxious to hear them clarify,but considering Carmack's history, and Palmer's statements, I can't imagine they'd lock the platform down.

Lach

I did not get a mail but my order has switched to status Processing:

Order ID: EO-xxxxxxx
Date: Mar 19, 2014 10:44 AM PDT
Status:pROCESSING:Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Faith

We are also introducing the Oculus Display Driver for the Windows platform, which streamlines access to the Oculus Rift screen. This new feature allows direct rendering to the Rift itself instead of treating the headset as a regular monitor. This optional approach reduces latency and avoids the complications of Windows monitor settings. The driver also supports a new SDK feature: the Oculus Rift screen can be mirrored to a window on an external monitor.
Nice! Don't like the extend-display option.

@Lach
We might be the very first in Switzerland to get a DK2 :D

Top Bottom