• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion: Aspect ratio of The Order: 1886

-Cwalat-

2.40:1 - Cinematic aspect ratio is being used in The Order:1886 for the cinematic look and for the added bonus of having 4xMSAA.

"the aspect ratio is a core artistic choice (frame, FOV, etc), added performance is a bonus but nowhere near crucial", Andrea Pessino Twitter post.
-https://twitter.com/andreapessino/status/431621812703604736

"4xMSAA which looks spectacular! x800 with AA looks MUCH better than x1080 without"

"x800 with 4xMSAA needs more bandwidth than x1080 would, so 1080 no MS would be cheaper."

My question is, would you rather have less anti-aliasing(and possibly some other downgrades) and 16:9 aspect ratio or the cinematic 2.40:1 with improved anti-aliasing and why?

edit: The main reason they went with the aspect ratio is for the cinematic look. Thanks for the clarification below.

Korezo

That res is the reason I don't care for this game, but if its good I'll give it a try. I rather have full use of the screen because I think those black bars are more distracting than aliasing.

I'm okay with the current ratio. It's their artistic choice after all, and their AA solution seems awesome. I'm just hoping it won't impede shooting but I imagine if it did they wouldn't have run with it.

sn00zer

Its fine, big issue though for people with smaller TVs. I imagine playing this on something like a 25"ish is gong to be difficult unless you are the distance to a monitor. Really curios about Vita remote.

Fbh

IMO, the graphics and art direction in The Order seem to be about the only thing it has going for it.

So I have no issue with them adjusting the aspect ratio to make the best part of the game even better

I don't like their creative neither technical decision to go for that aspect ratio, it makes the game play in a claustrophobic way that i don't like.

That can be seen in some gameplay videos, the camera is a constant mess, and it's all due the aspect ratio.

bombshell

2.40:1 - Cinematic aspect ratio is being used in The Order:1886 due to it allowing the developers to use 4xMSAA.

My question is, would you rather have less anti-aliasing and 19:9 aspect ratio or the cinematic 2.40:1 with improved anti-aliasing and why?

Them being able to use 4xMSAA was not a reason for that aspect ratio, but just an added benefit.

Oppo

Doesn't bother me when films use it, so it doesn't bother me here either. Variety is nice. So I like how it is.

some of you must have gone berserk watching Grand Budapest Hotel with it's 3 aspect ratios ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I honestly don't have a preference as long as it's a standard aspect ratio, the FoV can properly accomidate it, and it maintains the crispness of native resolution.

I'd prefer 2.40:1. Didn't bother me in RE4 when they employed a similar solution to getting the most out of the Gamecube, and it won't bother me now.

But I can see how people with small tvs (my only 1080p tv is a 22, but my asshole of a kitten decided to scratch up the screen so yay 720 land on the 42) would prefer the larger real estate with a hit to visual fidelity.

It's a mixed bag. Better AA is a definite benefit, but if it leads to the awkward camera work I had to do with Evil Within, it won't be worth it IMO. From the footage I've seen, however, it seems like the camera isn't as claustrophobically placed as in TEW.

2.40:1 - Cinematic aspect ratio is being used in The Order:1886 due to it allowing the developers to use 4xMSAA.

My question is, would you rather have less anti-aliasing and 19:9 aspect ratio or the cinematic 2.40:1 with improved anti-aliasing and why?

4xMSAA was a benefit of their decision to use 2:40:1, not a reason to use the aspect ratio

dan2026

When I criticised this game last time for cutting screen space to increase performance, I was showered with a torrent of abuse.

v1lla21

Doesn't bother me when films use it, so it doesn't bother me here either. Variety is nice. So I like how it is.
Yeah, I'm used to movies a d I don't notice the bars after a few minutes so it's okay with me. As long as the game is fun, runs fine and looks amazing, it's okay with me.

Owzers

After playing Evil Within and constantly thinking " i can't see anything", i'm not sure i like the idea of third person action games with narrow field of views.

It's fine. If people are concerned about this they're making mountains out of mole hills. I mean people don't complain about a movie's native aspect ratio?

i-Lo

Walat, might want to correct that aspect ratio fig.

Them being able to use 4xMSAA was not a reason for that aspect ratio, but just an added benefit.

Well, 4xMSAA would have become detrimental to the performance at 1080p. They stated it was either going to be that aspect ratio with that AA or 1080p w/ 2xMSAA.

I like it actually, but overall i think it depends on the game. I found it really annoying for the first few hours of The Evil Within, and i don't think it would look too good in an open world game either. So its really on a case by case basis.

Fezan

ReadyElegantGalapagosmockingbird.gif

Order3.gif

Order2.gif

This why RAD use this aspect ratio

"the aspect ratio is a core artistic choice (frame, FOV, etc), added performance is a bonus but nowhere near crucial", Andrea Pessino Twitter post.
-https://twitter.com/andreapessino/status/431621812703604736

they didn't use that aspect ratio to meet an anti aliasing goal.

all their concept art are designed using that aspect ratio. you can't know your anti aliasing technique that early into dev.

stop spreading false info to make devs look bad.

Duxxy3

I got through The Evil Within with the horrible black bars. I'd rather they not use the bars, but I understand why they do.

I like it actually, but overall i think it depends on the game. I found it really annoying for the first few hours of The Evil Within, and i don't think it would look too good in an open world game either. So its really on a case by case basis.

Difference is that The Evil Within to my understanding had the bars overlayed on game, so things were actually being cut off.

Games like RE4 and The Order 1886 are "displayed" within the frame.

I'm not doing the contrast here justice, but I'm sure someone will bring it up and lay it all out as some point in ways that I cannot.

finalflame

67b.jpg

I really fucking hate black bars. This is not the native aspect ration for 100% of TVs this will be played on. Why introduce black bars? Movies that do this also piss me off.

I am not saying there might not be legitimate, artistic reasons for presenting the game in this aspect ration, and I am confident from footage that it'll look great and I'll probably buy it (pending first impressions and reviews), but FUCK I hate those goddamn black bars.

Also, I think part of why they did it is to claim the "Best looking game" title with lower effective rendering area and the PS4's hardware.

Aspect Ratio doesnt bother me one bit. If its implemented well you wont notice it whilee in gameplay. The devs just have to make sure FOV is High enough. Seems like RAD have done this. People comparing it to Evil Within dont know what theyre talking about. That game, on consoles at least, is very clunky and claustrophobic becuase of the poor use of black bars.

Freeman

Banned
I'm fine with their vision. I was always a believer that a game with less resolution but a good AA solution and a focus on other things could result in a overall better looking game.

The aspect ratio itself doesn't bother me at all, I actually like it.

I'm so used to watching content with black bars that sometimes I play a game for hours before noticing it, for movies I prefer the wide aspects.

Would love the option to turn down the AA or native res and play full screen.

In fact I wont buy the game until I can play it in full screen. Screw black bars. One of the worst recent gaming trends. Brings back flashbacks of playing old shitty ports of doom that played in a window.

-Cwalat-

Edited original post.

That they did include it for artistic purposes is quite clear now. Would have been great if they added an option though, for players to either choose 16:9 or 2.40:1. 2.40:1 with 4xMSAA or 16:9 with less AA.

Not a big deal to me. To be honest, I didn't know that The Order had black bars until GAF mentioned it. So clearly, I am not bothered by this aspect ratio.

Hasn't really bothered me in the games I've played so far so I'm okay with it.

I quickly forgot about the black bars in Evil Within and Dragons Dogma.

As I said in the other thread, they don't bother me. I have watched movies that use different aspect ratios and if it helps with the game's presentation then so be it.

It's not like it'a vertical bars, as you sometimes see in older TV shows and certain movies.

I leave the presentation up to the developers as long as it matches the overall native resolution of my TV, which The Order does.

firelogic

People just keep piling onto this game for no good reason. I can't believe how much hate it's getting from the public and gaming publications. I shudder at the thought of how tainted the majority of reviews are going to be because it looks like they already made up their minds on it.

Like other people have said, how do you watch movies that aren't 16:9? Or do you just dismiss them as unworthy of your time? And newsflash, you're seeing MORE of the game, not less.

Would love the option to turn down the AA or native res and play full screen.

In fact I wont buy the game until I can play it in full screen. Screw black bars. One of the worst recent gaming trends. Brings back flashbacks of playing old shitty ports of doom that played in a window.

Trends? Recently, which other games use this technique other than one that ran like shit without them and the best looking third person shooter ever?

Top Bottom