• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon Fury X Series | HBM, Small Form Factor And Water Cooling | June 16th

Ionic

Are we getting that early review?

giphy-1.gif

Ty4on

Must.wait.16nm.
I wonder if we will ever get a big 20nm chip, let alone 16nm :p

Anyway:
Sweclockers editor said:
Sweclockers forumposter said:
Släpps tester på korten 00:00 svensk tid hos er eller 09:00 svensk tid imorgon?
Inget av de två! Mer exakt än så kan jag inte vara, men skulle gå och lägga mig ikväll utan att tänka två gånger på saken.

Translated:
Do you release the review 00:00 Swedish time [on your site] or 09:00 Swedish time tomorrow?
Neither! I can't be more precice than that, but I'm going to bed without thinking about it.

Last part pretty much says the embargo is after he wakes up. 1200 UTC is 1400 Swedish time so he has plenty of time to sleep.

I would but I'm not in from the USA, buying is 50% more expensive and selling such a card is 200% harder :(

You would think with a massive VAT it would be far easier to sell a second hand card at a more competitive price without VAT increasing it by 20ish%.

How did you get it to run smoothly at 4k resolution on a 980ti I thought everyone was having issues with this game right now even on 980s

He thinks 30Hz with dips is perfectly fine, I guess... Either that, or he's just throwing random new game out in an attempt to fan the flames of the fanboy wars.

FLAguy954

Something very interesting was brought up in this article by Semi-Accurate in regard to HBM and custom overclocking. This is seriously going to put a hamper on how people handle HBM equipped cards with the intent of replacing thermal paste or modifying a cooler (like adding liquid cooling for instance). Most likely that Nvidia will have to use an interposer as well so I'm expecting a lot of modders to be pissed with HBM at first:

Fiji_Interposer-617x589.jpg

One word of warning should you buy a Fiji and molest it in various ways that overclockers and enthusiasts normally do, be careful. If you look at the above picture you can see the pretty patterns on the interposer, they look good but don’t taste good. If you want to clean off the thermal paste and replace it with your own cooling solution, be really careful of these areas. Why? Because the interposer, basically a chip, is mounted face up, it is not a traditional flip chip part with the transistors and metal layers protected by the wafer, they fragile bits are on top this time.

How fragile? Don’t touch them, don’t wipe them off, and otherwise don’t do anything that could break a far sub-micron metal trace. It is really fragile and you will destroy your very expensive GPU if you do this, don’t say we didn’t warn you. This is a tech transition that hasn’t been seen since the days when flip chips replaced wire bonding so think back to the bad old days before you mod. Really, be careful or you will end up with an expensive 4GB, water-cooled doorstop.

Renekton

Gameworks is a disaster in my opinion. Kills performance in AMD cards mostly because it's NVIDIA's proprietary code.

Not to mention shady tactics by the green team to bring down performance on the red team...
It's still a card-seller though.

My friend just ordered a 980ti because he was blown away by hairworks

How did you get it to run smoothly at 4k resolution on a 980ti I thought everyone was having issues with this game right now even on 980s

I left the 30 fps framerate lock on. Most of the stuttering occurs when you unlock the framerate and don't give the game it's 33 ms between frames to do stuff, especially stream assets which is a weakness of UE3. I'm not normally a fan of 30 fps framerate locks, but this game does actually feel quite smooth at 30 fps in ways most games do not.

Also I load the game off an SSD, have 12 GB of system RAM, and my 980 Ti has 6 GB of VRAM. The game is an absolute memory hog and so anything you can do for it to make it have to stream assets less makes it feel that much smoother.

Many people actually don't have issues, there are lots of people posting in that B:AK PC performance thread saying they don't have issues. It's buggy for sure, I've had the game just straight up CTD once, but there ARE people out there who are able to play the game smoothly. You just need a stupid amount of RAM and VRAM because no one at Iron Galaxy seems to have heard of memory usage optimization.

Would it be possible to build a PC with a Fury X in an EVGA Hadron case, or something similarly small?

I'm building a PC in a couple months and was pretty set on a 980 Ti but if a Fury X would let me get a smaller case and run quieter that'd definitely be worth considering.

x3sphere

I don't know what to think really, those numbers are all over the place. Seems it does better at 1080p than 4K versus 980 Ti which doesn't make much sense given AMD's usual advantage at higher resolutions.

I don't know what to think really, those numbers are all over the place. Seems it does better at 1080p than 4K versus 980 Ti which doesn't make much sense given AMD's usual advantage at higher resolutions.

All over the place is an understatement.

Why would the Fury X have a higher minimum in Witcher 3 1080p High than everything else when even a vanilla 980 OC beats it? Why do some tests have completely different cards? Only 20% faster than a 290X in Crysis 3, and the 3DMark score is barely higher than a 290X.

They obviously re-use results and probably don't even test more than once with a consistent benchmark. But hey they posted the world first Fury review, so congrats on those clicks.

Would it be possible to build a PC with a Fury X in an EVGA Hadron case, or something similarly small?

I'm building a PC in a couple months and was pretty set on a 980 Ti but if a Fury X would let me get a smaller case and run quieter that'd definitely be worth considering.

At a glance, there is hope. The Hadron can fit cards up to 267mm (the Fury X is 195mm+ some more to gracefully clear the closed loop cooler) and it should have the twin 8 pin plugs considering it was built to hold even a GTX 980.

The real question would be where to place the Radiator. The left side of the Hadron is a glass panel, the right side has ventilation but that's where the MB goes, and the top houses twin 120mm fans.If you look at Hadron builds I'm not sure where you could fit the radiator except by removing one of the top fans, but even that could be a bit difficult because the drive cage is not removable. (It still might be possible, but you'd have to tape out exactly how far the 400mm cable would reach)

Beyond that, as much as I like that case, there's no integrated dust mesh (no dust protection at all, really) and the best option to make room would be to do a full case disassemble and try to remove the drive cage (I've seen it accomplished on youtube though I can't speak to how difficult it would be) That's really the ideal spot.

Mini ITX cases of that size have a variety of quirks and I highly recommend watching youtube videos on them to see if they are ones you can live with. If you can accept a somewhat bigger mITX case, there are vastly more flexible ones, like the Corsair 250D.

Renekton

The Crysis 3 chart was a strange bummer, maybe the game carefully sips bandwidth.

In every one of those charts an overclocked 980ti is a beast.

My poor 980 G1 weeps.
No surprise, especially 980Ti G1 destroys every single-GPU including Titan X and voltage-locked Fury X. Your 980G1 is a beast in its power segment though, no regrets.

At a glance, there is hope. The Hadron can fit cards up to 267mm (the Fury X is 195mm+ some more to gracefully clear the closed loop cooler) and it should have the twin 8 pin plugs considering it was built to hold even a GTX 980.

The real question would be where to place the Radiator. The left side of the Hadron is a glass panel, the right side has ventilation but that's where the MB goes, and the top houses twin 120mm fans.If you look at Hadron builds I'm not sure where you could fit the radiator except by removing one of the top fans, but even that could be a bit difficult because the drive cage is not removable. (It still might be possible, but you'd have to tape out exactly how far the 400mm cable would reach)

Beyond that, as much as I like that case, there's no integrated dust mesh (no dust protection at all, really) and the best option to make room would be to do a full case disassemble and try to remove the drive cage (I've seen it accomplished on youtube though I can't speak to how difficult it would be) That's really the ideal spot.

Mini ITX cases of that size have a variety of quirks and I highly recommend watching youtube videos on them to see if they are ones you can live with. If you can accept a somewhat bigger mITX case, there are vastly more flexible ones, like the Corsair 250D.

Thanks for the response!

I didn't really realize how huge most cases are, even "mid" cases seem huge to me, and most have stuff like space for a ton of hard drives that I don't need. Right now I like the Fractal R5 a lot but I'd love to get something smaller, and like I said I was hoping since the Fury X seems tiny it would open opportunities for really small but really powerful builds.

FLAguy954

x-posting from OCN:

FLAguy954 said:
I'm waiting for more review because I won't accept that is loses to a vanilla 980 in ANY circumstance.

Hell, even the power-hungry 390X gives the 980 a run for its money so the Fury X should be blowing it away imo.

Saw those benches earlier, embargo should be ending fairly soon so we'll see if these are accurate, several of the benches look suspicious to say the least.

Anyone heard of vmodtech? I haven't seen anything from these guys before, with AMD limiting review samples I'd be surprised such a small site even got one unless a vendor broke street date.

Something very interesting was brought up in this article by Semi-Accurate in regard to HBM and custom overclocking. This is seriously going to put a hamper on how people handle HBM equipped cards with the intent of replacing thermal paste or modifying a cooler (like adding liquid cooling for instance). Most likely that Nvidia will have to use an interposer as well so I'm expecting a lot of modders to be pissed with HBM at first:

a) Serious modders have been delidding CPUs and GPUs for as long as CPU and GPU makers have been using an IHS.

b) The top layer of substrate isn't going to have micron sized traces on it. That would be fucking moronic. Especially when OEMs are going to do a job like this with the paste:

11292776_715509701905836_384015936_n.jpg

Charlie Demerjian is a muckracking twit who exists only to spew his own brand of bullshit to appear to be a half competent analyst. This is a man who got fired from The Inquirer for being too full of shit. That should tell you how far up his own asshole he is.

Crisium

Haha, I really love this leaked benchmark:

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2498042/

The 980 Ti is 37.5% or 50% more than the 980 in all metrics. Shaders, TMUs (37.5%), Memory Bandwidth, Memory Capacity (50%). Yet a 980 overclocked to 38.6% faster Shaders and 36.5% faster Memory Bandwidth beats a stock 980 Ti. What a story Mark.

And look at the difference between the 980 at 1127 vs 1241. 40% faster for a 10% faster overclock. Riiiight. I'm sure this was the average of multiple passes, and not just one...

Renekton

Anyone heard of vmodtech? I haven't seen anything from these guys before, with AMD limiting review samples I'd be surprised such a small site even got one unless a vendor broke street date.
They probably scored one off a nearby friendly retailer.

It would be nuts that Vmod gets one from AMD but PCPer doesn't.

FLAguy954

a) Serious modders have been delidding CPUs and GPUs for as long as CPU and GPU makers have been using an IHS.

b) The top layer of substrate isn't going to have micron sized traces on it. That would be fucking retarded. Especially when OEMs are going to do a job like this with the paste:

11292776_715509701905836_384015936_n.jpg

Charlie Demerjian is a muckracking twit who exists only to spew his own brand of bullshit to appear to be a half competent analyst. This is a man who got fired from The Inquirer for being too full of shit. That should tell you how far up his own asshole he is.

Well damn, you learn something new everyday.

So does that mean all we need to do is use non-conductive thermal pastes and pastes that don't have diamonds (Arctic MX4 ftw) in it and it'll be fine?

Thanks for the response!

I didn't really realize how huge most cases are, even "mid" cases seem huge to me, and most have stuff like space for a ton of hard drives that I don't need. Right now I like the Fractal R5 a lot but I'd love to get something smaller, and like I said I was hoping since the Fury X seems tiny it would open opportunities for really small but really powerful builds.

"Huge" should be put in airquotes when it comes to mITX; I mean, the Corsair 250D looks "big" compared to the Hadron, but it's still really small compared to a mid ATX case. But the tradeoff as you go smaller to the Fractal R4 or Hadron is that there is so little room. I've seen a handful of Hadron reviews where the terms "very difficult build" and "just no room at all" phrases just keep popping up. CPU cooler compatibility also becomes a serious issue as only so many work given limited clearance. But people are running 4590's with GTX 980 class cards so it's probably possible somehow...

Well damn, you learn something new everyday.

So does that mean all we need to do is use non-conductive thermal pastes and pastes that don't have diamonds (Arctic MX4 ftw) in it and it'll be fine?

Shipping units wouldn't have exposed traces. They might have left them up on mockups for oooh shiny effect because etched silicon is ridiculously pretty but nobody would leave critical traces on an interposer exposed to the environment like that. Just like you don't have critical sub micron traces on the surface of your CPU. That's an interposer for instance.

FLAguy954

Shipping units wouldn't have exposed traces. They might have left them up on mockups for oooh shiny effect because etched silicon is ridiculously pretty but nobody would leave critical traces on an interposer exposed to the environment like that. Just like you don't have critical sub micron traces on the surface of your CPU. That's an interposer for instance.

I see; that make sense, thanks.

cirrhosis

Really surprised at how the 980 TI is doing in these supposed benches. NDA for Fury/Fury X can't expire soon enough - will be very interesting to get a complete picture of how these cards could do. I'd like to upgrade soon.

Ionic

Really surprised at how the 980 TI is doing in these supposed benches.

There's definitely an issue with these benchmarks. Here's TechPowerUp's review of the 980Ti with Crysis 3.

PfMQ2bY.gif

26.6FPS vs. 58FPS in these suspect benchmarks. That might be a little strange.

Haha, I really love this leaked benchmark:

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2498042/

The 980 Ti is 37.5% or 50% more than the 980 in all metrics. Shaders, TMUs (37.5%), Memory Bandwidth, Memory Capacity (50%). Yet a 980 overclocked to 38.6% faster Shaders and 36.5% faster Memory Bandwidth beats a stock 980 Ti. What a story Mark.

And look at the difference between the 980 at 1127 vs 1241. 40% faster for a 10% faster overclock. Riiiight. I'm sure this was the average of multiple passes, and not just one...

That's not even the worst part. According to VmodTech:

-30% OC on a 980Ti gives you nearly 60% more performance (if only!).
-980Ti OC is almost as fast as 980Ti SLI.
-Titan X OC is faster than 980Ti SLI.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tested completely different levels for each card.

Quotient

Do we know the difference between the Fury and Fury X - is it just the cooler, air vs water?

For those with tiny miniITX cases may have difficulty with the Fury X and instead opt for the regular Fury - I'm thinking of the Node 304 as an example.

Vooduu

Do we know the difference between the Fury and Fury X - is it just the cooler, air vs water?

For those with tiny miniITX cases may have difficulty with the Fury X and instead opt for the regular Fury - I'm thinking of the Node 304 as an example.

Fury X would be difficult if not impossible to fit unless you mount the fan on top of another.

Top Bottom